Has anyone replaced their EPAS or Inner Tie Rod?

Fat Boss

Established Member
Guys,

I need to replace my inner tie rod end on the pass side of my '12 Boss. Has anyone actually done this? Any tips? :read:

Fat Boss

Established Member
See my "Banged up my Boss" thread in the pics and vids section.

The short answer is I broke the tie rod (end) on the inner passenger side. Looks like I'll have to dig into it on my own.

kevinp

Established Member
There is a 2011 mustang service manual online you can find if you search around, inner tie rod replacement looks like any other R&P, nothing special.

Fat Boss

Established Member
There is a 2011 mustang service manual online you can find if you search around, inner tie rod replacement looks like any other R&P, nothing special.

Thanks I've never done a rack and pinion. I was just hoping someone had done this before and would offer tips. I've read the manual, it's one of those "merely do this" type of instructions.

Fat Boss

Established Member
The manual says to loosen both sides at the same time, and when re-installing I should have another person hold a wrench on the other side of the rack. If I'm not RnR'ing the other side, will the strength of the rack (and the guts inside) allow me to break the 74 lbs/ft of torque plus thread locker on the side I'm working on without messing anything up? I'm assuming I will be able to since if one side loosens first, which it will, then the other side will have no help from the side that loosens first. Tightening is the same dilemma, since I really don't want to buy another $95 tie rod end kit to get another custom boot and clamps from it.

Here's a link to the manual. If it doesn't load right away try refreshing a couple of times.

Ford Service Manuals - REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

kevinp

Established Member
Its true when loosening them that one is going to break free first, so that doesnt make a lot of sense. I just glanced at the manual at first and didnt notice that.

Most of the racks I have done had flats on the rack that you could put a wrench on it to hold it when tightening/loosening the inner tie rods, and I have done a few that didnt have the flats and I just replaced them without holding the other side. I doubt anyone here has changed an inner tie rod on one of these.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Thanks Kevin. I put the new tie rod end on today. The short story is I used a large adjustable wrench for the tie rod end and the only tool I had to buy was a CV Joint Boot Clamp Pliers.

084_zps86f02ea0.jpg

093_zps80bae882.jpg

094_zps18190b82.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread