Has anyone installed a DASHCAM yet?

ROCKSLIDE

I installed one on my other car and it works great and now I want to install one on the GT. Looking to hardwire it permanently as well. Does anyone know if I could hardwire it into the interior light box found right behind the rear view mirror?

v335690

I put a grdian defender in mine and used a connector to go into the back of my rear view mirror. I just traded in my car yesterday. Shoot me a pm and I'll send you pics and a part id for the connector off amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaxbusa

Established Member
I installed one last month. I didn't even know they had a connector to use power from the mirror. V335690, you should just start your own thread with pictures and part numbers.

I installed a BlackVue that has front and rear cameras. The package came with a power magic pro that allows the camera to stay on after you park it and it will turn off if your voltage is low. I just tapped into the fuse panel on the passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

josephcostello

Established Member
OP, I have a dash cam in both my cars. I tried wiring it to the light under the dash on the passenger side, but found it only got power when doors would open. I would imagine that might be the case for the overhead lights as they aren't always on. I just hard wired mine to my fuse box, and put a switch hanging out the side vent. I then stuffed the wiring to the camera into the plastic piece by the pillar and have the camera in front of my rear view mirror. Works great for me.

v335690

I traded in my car but if you go to amazon and search for the part listed below it works well. You can do a search on this site or M6G for a pinout of the rear view mirror. I think the connector is $26 and change but it is well worth it for the ease of installation.

SimpleUSB Automotive 12V to USB Adapter & Micro USB cable combo

wjfawb0

Established Member
I installed a Viofo A119 in my S550 and my Jeep Wrangler after a lady tried to sideswap me on the interstate for blowing my horn at her. She was repeatedly sleeping at lights (on her phone). After about three lights doing this I honked once to wake her up. She was livid. Once we got on the interstate she swerved at me and ultimately took my lane. If I had a dashcam rolling at the time, I might have let her fender make contact with the steel bumper on my jeep.

I haven't hardwired my cameras yet. I bought 12V to 5V adapters for that purpose, but it's been very easy to just use a mini USB cable plugged into the back of my phone charger.

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Just moved to South, FL I could really use a setup now. Some people are beyond insane. I was next to an elderly lady not long ago, wig and all for about 5 miles or so swerving lanes, randomly slowing down, and holding up traffic because she was on her phone scrolling.

Users who are viewing this thread