Has anyone else ever been told this????

RFsnake

Established Member
I was on the phone today with a local dyno shop. The guy I was talking to told me I should swap out the JLT intake for the stock intake tubing and a 10" K&N filter. He said the filter being in the fender was a bad setup, and I would see more hp without it.

Problem is, I purchased the car with the JLT, and I don't have the stock tubing. Now, I don't mind one bit spending money on a better setup. It's just I have never heard of this before. This is a pullied cobra, has anybody else ever been told this, or did this swap out and seen better numbers? I assume he is correct, I just want to make sure. Thanks in advance!

Mustanger

Established Member
Sounds like he wants your CAI for himself! The JLT is supposed to be one of the better ones I always hear...in the fender works great for many many people! Sounds funny to me.

mach1033

Established Member
Is this on a stock eaton? There is nothing wrong with the CAI system. I have the RAI from JLT but that is because I'm pushing 21lbs of boost and I dont want any restrictions.

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
I think your shop may be confused by "other" in the fender CAI systems where they do not relocate the MAF so the air as a straight shot to get to it. The radius in the CAI tube right before the MAF can sometimes cause issues so I have read.

GodStang

Established Member
I have run JLT CAI for years on many different setups and have done before and after and have always made more with JLT setups. The stock plumbing is crap. You may want to find a new dyno shop.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Interesting my superchips 90* pre maf bent CAI w/C&L inlet traps at 127 mph, close to full weight and ported Eaton. Dynos at 519/567 SAE pump. I'd like to see how much his K+N filter/stock inlet tube can impove on that LOL.

Send him this pic. and ask his opinion Haha, it's been called Frankenstein before but F'it it works!!
Intake2.gif

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
Based on the way cars are dyno'd, I can see a RAI outperform a In-Fender CAI. But the dyno is based on the car standing still and a big ass fan blowing across the propped open hood. Not exactly the same as a car moving on the street. The RAI would see more air than a CAI would.

To be a true apples to apples comparison, the dyno would need to be inside of a wind tunnel with the fan blowing at a speed similar to the speed the dyno senses from your rear wheels and with the hood down.
JMO.

racin4ds

SVT Crazy
Established Member
If the tuner knows his shit then he can tune around the fenderwll CAI, its the bend just before the MAF that causes issues and it doesn't happen to all, it only seems to affect some cars for some reason. JLT's setup puts the MAF in the fender with the filter right on the end of it so that the MAF only sees straight, non-turbulent air.

Matt 347

Established Member
I like using the JLT's they work really good for use. We normally see a good power gain.
Matt from GHP..

ITL Cobra

Established Member
Bob K tuned my car and he had the same thing to say. its the bend just before the MAF that causes issues, you really only want straight, non-turbulent air.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I swapped out my K&N for a JLT, only I went with the RAI. I'm not a fan of the in fender ones but either way the JLT is a better intake IMO!

Users who are viewing this thread