Has anybody tried a 90mm TB on a stock intake manifold ?

steveofiveo

Established Member
With all the latest drama surrounding the boss intake vs the Cobra Jet manifold, it has been proven there are potential gains in the throttle body size/air intake dimensions.

Know that the motor likes air, has anyone tried to transplant a larger throttle body on the stock manifold. I'm interested in some of the comments that guys on this forum were considering a 90mm TB. I know the rubber O-ring would have to be ditched in place of a handmade paper gasket (easy enough to create). But has anyone actually tried it ? If so, what were the results ?

5PNTSLO

Established Member
Every single vendor on here says the aftermarket TB either shows a loss in power or zero gains over the stock one even on the BOSS manifold

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Good luck getting it tuned. I had one and it was the biggest headache EVER!!!!

I'd get an 84.5 FRPP/Accufab ONLY for the throttle response, other than that, spend your money elsewhere.

Last edited:

steveofiveo

Established Member
That's kind of what I thought.

I thought that maybe a larger TB and playing with the air intake piping could yield some power. Kind of like the CJ intake did with a larger intake pipe.

Im trying to get more air in the motor without resorting to a boss intake etc

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member
That's kind of what I thought.

I thought that maybe a larger TB and playing with the air intake piping could yield some power. Kind of like the CJ intake did with a larger intake pipe.

Im trying to get more air in the motor without resorting to a boss intake etc

Port on the intake plays a huge part too. The CJ has a much bigger opening than the Boss or Stock manifold does. Your still restricted by that...

Torchy

Established Member
I read of a bunch of headaches of the ford racing one. I have the 90MM BBK and it works flawless. Can't quantify it tho for ya. Did it with a bunch of other things at the same time.

blackcoyote13

Established Member
I'm still looking for dyno charts with the stock manifold and headers with a before and after on the Accufab/FRPP 84.5mm TB. I want to see if the 10-15tq in the midrange is legit (without a boss manifold) before I consider it, even if the topend power doesnt change much.

GBCoyote

Established Member
I'm running a boss manifold with a 90mm BBK. It fit on my stock manifold just fine without modifications and ran pretty well without a tune. The throttle response was better for sure and it felt like my lower end torque was easier to obtain. Again, no data to quantify such claims. I know that the combo yields favoring results in my seat of pants feel. That's about it.

Ackman70

Established Member
My buddy and I have basically the same '13 GT. Same mods with the only difference being I have a Ford racing 84.5mm throttle body. Dyno'd and tuned the same day. Overlaying the dyno graphs my car made eight horsepower more throughout the run.

It ran fine without a tune and even better after. No issues except the price of the throttle body!

Users who are viewing this thread