Hardest Decision i'll ever have to make....

i3ooivl

Established Member
I just recently graduated college and got my dream job close to home on the gulf of mexico and i'm faced with a tough decision....

should i live rent free "close to the beach"

or pay 850 a month and live on the beach :beer:

And by ON the beach i mean ON the beach! Like i'll have a view of the gulf of mexico from my bedroom.

whatever do i do?!?!?!

04 Redline

Established Member
If you are with your buddies rent free, then go for it. If it is your parents, then 850 on the beach is a hellova deal! But, something I did after I finished school, my parents let me live with them for 1 year so I could save up and buy my own place which I did, and it's the best move I ever did. I really wanted to get an apartment for about 600, but I see now that I could not have saved like I did if I had a rent payment.

i3ooivl

Established Member
well further detail.... the rent free place is my dad's extra place, and the appartment would be mine.

I kinda want to get out from underneith the family umbrella and start out on my own.

madmatt

Stockishly Slow
Established Member
Id say rent free and close. Walk to the beach, get some exercise.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Think of all the mods you can buy with $850 per month, LOL. Seriously, take advantage while you can. $850 per month X 2 years, ($20,400) would make a good down payment on a home.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
Well, if you're living on the gulf, your "close to the beach" house might eventually become beachfront property if you live there long enough. I say rent free. You'll appreciate the extra money later on in life if you invest it wisely. Perhaps build up a downpayment for a house.

hoamskilet

Established Member
Taking that year and living rent free is by far the best thing you can do for yourself. Take advantage of a good opportunity, you'll never be able to save money like you will then.

samill2

sell? keep? sell? keep?
Established Member
Buy the cheapest house in the best neighborhood you can afford. Forget the other stuff - not worth it.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
HAHAHA is that it? I'd say go for the free MOST DEFINITELY! All that extra money will be awesome. Save for your own house.

I was thinking something like boxers or briefs or blondes or brunettes.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If that is the hardest decision you'll ever have to make then you will have a great life.
lol :poke:

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Rent free buddy....especially if you would still be on your own. You'll get tired of all the sand that comes w/ living right on the beach anyway....:D

i3ooivl

Established Member
.... well i guess yall are right :p

But another consideration, The free place is a 30 minute drive to work without traffic. And during the week there is a LOT of traffic on the drive. So it'd probably take closer to an hour to get to work.

The place i'd pay rent is a 5 minute drive. and even the worst traffic i've ever seen there would only make the drive 20 minutes.

but still... I dont think i'd spend 850 on gas for the commute

i3ooivl

Established Member
a question for all yall saying save.....

How much is considered a good down payment on a house?? and is there something better than just a plain jane savings account to put it in for the year or so its in there?

svt32v99

Suck it!
Established Member
i3ooivl said:
a question for all yall saying save.....

How much is considered a good down payment on a house?? and is there something better than just a plain jane savings account to put it in for the year or so its in there?

20% is a bad ass down payment. 10% is a minimum for most lenders. I would go ahead and grow your money as fast as you can at your age. Mutual Funds that are tech based or biotech based should grow your money as fast as it can.

AzDropTop

Established Member
i3ooivl said:
I just recently graduated college and got my dream job close to home on the gulf of mexico and i'm faced with a tough decision....

should i live rent free "close to the beach"

or pay 850 a month and live on the beach :beer:

And by ON the beach i mean ON the beach! Like i'll have a view of the gulf of mexico from my bedroom.

whatever do i do?!?!?!

Sounds like a really hard decission. You'd better call Dr. Laura tomorrow.

My vote. Rent free. You can do a lot with 850 a month. Like save it.

2003 Silver

Banned
i3ooivl said:
well further detail.... the rent free place is my dad's extra place, and the appartment would be mine.

I kinda want to get out from underneith the family umbrella and start out on my own.

Take it while you can...just make sure you save 1/2 of that 850.

Users who are viewing this thread