Hard Shifting? Come In!! The Fix!!

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
A mechanic at Ford told me that the blocker plates were made from a carbon fiber base + other materials. Some fluids cause these plates to swell which equals the harder shifting. I do not know of all of the good or acceptable replacemnet fluids that are on the market for out transmissions, but he told me that GM syn. is one of the best. Of course it is used in the ZO6's and is the same fluid useed in the Vipers. JMO

No, GM Synchromesh is NOT used in the Vipers. :poke:

I own an 05 and the trans comes stock with Castrol Syntorq.

GM Synchromesh did however make my T56 in my Cobra shift like butter.

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
Thought I would update you guys, I installed my MGW shifter and 4 quarts of GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh and it shifts like a dream now! Even when I get it hot, it shifts like butter!!

03slobra2

POSI "race"port FTW
Established Member
There was a big debate about this in another thread and I posted up the GM mesh. I have been using the mesh on my cars for years. I shift really hard and I don't use much clutch so I need all the help I can get. The GM mesh is the only thing so far that stood up to my abuse. With that said the Amsoil guy here is a buddy and he wants to put it in my cobra for free

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
Well after a few weeks of driving the car easy and hard it shifted great. Went back to the track this weekend and it's shifting hard again! I'll try some GM Syncromesh next.

Anyone that can compare plain DEX3 to Syncromesh?

black 10th vert

Established Member
What parts stores sell the GM synchromesh type fluids (like the Pennzoil)? I don't want to pay $20 per qt. at the GM dealer!

notfastenuf

vertias y aequitas
Established Member
I did Mobil 1 over the weekend. First change on the car I believe (I'm the second owner); dramatic difference. :banana:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Got it Auto Zone.

Thanks, I thought I had seen it there before, but when I looked the other day, they just had the regular Dextron. I guess they must have been out of stock, or something, so I'll check again next time I'm in there.

ReCoil

Let it eat!
Established Member
I got the Pennzoil brand Synchromesh at NAPA.. It was about $8 a quart if I remember right! And whatever you do, make sure the lids are on tight! I had one spill in the back of my Cobra on the way home and it stunk to high heavens like tranny fluid until I shampooed the crap out of it with Dawn dish soap!

Last edited:

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I have found that most parts stores do not have the Pennzoil on the shelf, but if you ask at the counter, they can get it the next day. I got mine at O'Riely's like that. Paid six and change per qt.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
I just changed my tranny fluid with some valvoline atf and i'm experiencing hard 3rd gear shifts. I'm going with the Pennzoil Syncromesh next week. I hate hard shifting!!!!

nothing

nothing
Established Member
i just changed from RP to Penzoil SM. Not as smooth as i would like but so far definately better. I couldn't even get into third sometimes. (like hitting a wall when i tried)

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
So to clarify, is Penzoil synchromesh the same thing as GM synchromesh?

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
Thought I would update you guys, I installed my MGW shifter and 4 quarts of GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh and it shifts like a dream now! Even when I get it hot, it shifts like butter!!

You posted the symptoms i've had since i purchased my '03 over 3 years ago. It shifted good, but almost like there was a wall in front of the gear i was trying to shift into.

I ordered an MGW last week. As soon as it gets here im going to get the gm synchromax and do as you have done. Just curious, but what type of shifter were you running until you had the mgw?

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
I changed out the Amsoil ATF for GM Syncromesh and it shifts much better now. I wouldn't say perfect but it's as good as it's going to get I guess. Never tried the plain Dextron III

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I changed out the Amsoil ATF for GM Syncromesh and it shifts much better now. I wouldn't say perfect but it's as good as it's going to get I guess. Never tried the plain Dextron III

I have the Dextron III, and it shifts pretty good IMHO...I will try GM syncromesh next...

Users who are viewing this thread