Hanlon T-45 installed humming sound in all gears?

01cobradude2

Established Member
I just put in a hanlon built t-45 the street 400hp version into my 01 cobra and in all forward gears under light load only I get a humming noise and it gets louder the faster I go. It only makes the noise under light load. If I let off the gas in gear or take it out of gear with clutch out I get no noise. Also if I mash it the noise goes away. Are these spose to be noisey? I also put in a new spec stage 1 clutch with new pilot and tob. I think this is tranny related. Tranny shifts exlelent and seems to be working fine but the humming noise is anoying.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I'm guessing it's your shifter transmitting that humm, are your handle bolts and main housing insulated with something like Cobra Bob's gaskets?

01cobradude2

Established Member
I'm guessing it's your shifter transmitting that humm, are your handle bolts and main housing insulated with something like Cobra Bob's gaskets?

No gaskets just rtv. Also I used reguler dex 3 with mercon 3.5 quarts. I called Hanlon today & they think it may be the shifter as well. Somthing about stock rubber buschings need to be kept on the steeda tri-ax?

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Get a set of neoprene gaskets from Cobra Bob (it includes the base and shifter handle bolts) he's a member and vendor here and conventional ATF is just fine for the T-45.

Last edited:

95PGTTech

Established Member
No gaskets just rtv. Also I used reguler dex 3 with mercon 3.5 quarts. I called Hanlon today & they think it may be the shifter as well. Somthing about stock rubber buschings need to be kept on the steeda tri-ax?

throw that sucker on eBay, and buy a MGW. You can thank me later with a case of beer on my doorstep.

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Call Bob about it and see what he says. He is a stand up guy; if there's a problem, he'll take care of it. And, no, there shouldn't be much noise regardless of what the others say. I've used RTV and no problems. Try holding your shifter and see if there's noise transmitted up to it.

What TOB did you use? Ford or the one with the Spec? Ford TOB is the ONLY way to go.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
FWIW, I had a tranny built from pro motion and it hummed/whined.... it lasted only 1500 miles. It was shimmed way too tight. My stocker never made the same noise and I never used any type of gasket around the shifter. Just RTV.

-Mark

Brutal Metal

Established Member
There's nothing wrong with RTV on the base but the handle bolts need to be sound insulated or noise will transmit, Dude the gaskets are like $6 if you don't like how they perform slop more RTV on it. I have a Tri-Ax and am familiar with the sound

Last edited:

01cobradude2

Established Member
Ok want to update everybody, it is definitly not the transmission. It is coming from the rear end. I just installed 4.10 gears at the same time as the trans. I thought it was the tranny but, it is the rear gears. They were used and so I am guessing somthing is wrong with them. This is not my first rear end build and this is the first time however of having this howling noise coming from the gears after the install. Will this anoying noise hurt anything or can I leave it untill the end of November when I park it for winter?

95PGTTech

Established Member
Ok want to update everybody, it is definitly not the transmission. It is coming from the rear end. I just installed 4.10 gears at the same time as the trans. I thought it was the tranny but, it is the rear gears. They were used and so I am guessing somthing is wrong with them. This is not my first rear end build and this is the first time however of having this howling noise coming from the gears after the install. Will this anoying noise hurt anything or can I leave it untill the end of November when I park it for winter?

You can probably leave it provided that it is just a hum noise (increases with rpm) and not clunk/hesitation. Either you set the gear set up incorrectly, or more likely, it was set up incorrectly in the past and put an improper wear on the ring and pinion gears. Or, they are non-FRPP gears and whine because they are cut to poor tolerances.

I would be careful on high-rpm, high-horsepower launches on a sticky drag radial or slick, though. An improperly set up gearset is very likely to shear a few teeth off as the contact patch is inadequate.

Users who are viewing this thread