HANDHELD tuners + custom tune questions.

stvdman

Established Member
Getting ready to have 2.80 pulley installed and custom tune done. I would like to have hand-held tuner used to load the tune so I can keep the stock tune and possibly have a couple other tunes available for other "things".

So, what is the best way to go about it?

Options:
1. buy handheld and find tuner who can write tunes for it.
2. find tuner and get custom tunes made for the type of handheld tuner software they use.
3. Get handheld from someone like AMAZON with tune loaded, put into car, run it on dyno to ensure it is working then adjust from there.

I am leaning towards #3 with an SCT XCAL3.

Any and all input appreciated.

cobracide

Established Member
Find a tuner in your local area with a dyno, chances are that you will end up with an xcal3. Ask your local tuner what to get.

spincobra03

Established Member
Im sure you can find a great tuner in florida. But yes a mail order would be fine with your mods. I would bring it to a dyno regaurdless of who sends you a tune, to check your a/f at the very least. With that said, if I were you, I would post a thread asking who could recommend a great tuner near you in FL. Then I would drive and get it all done right there and then, no need to data log your car or drive the car running rich or worse lean.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Option #3 is by far the best inmo. With that, you will get lifetime revisions, so when you change stuff, you can have Rick email you a revised tune. Also, the cost is usually the same as buying a generic xcal.

Users who are viewing this thread