Handheld tuner question

Erick

Established Member
What are the full capabilities of the handhelds?

I want to get rid of my MIL eliminators and tune out the O/R pipe along with delete the smog pump and adjust my fan temps. Will the Diablo or SCT do all these things?

I know I can have tuner flash me a chip but I'd like to know all my options.

Thanks!

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
***EDIT***

I was wrong about this, so please disregard this post:

One thing to consider is that, if you have a wideband and want to datalog the AF through the handheld, you can do it with SCT's Xcal2 but not with the Xcal3.

Last edited:

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i don't mean to sound stupid but could you put that in terms i can understand mwolson?

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
If you really want to get into tuning, (like if you go for the SCT Pro Racer Package) you will want to be able to log your actual air fuel ratio to make sure your tune is dialed in perfectly. If you get a wideband O2 controller such as an Innovate LC-1, it has an analog output signal that can be used to datalog your actual AF readings. But you need a way to get that analog signal into your PC, unless you are willing to just eye-ball it. SCT sells a special cable that hooks into the Xcal2 that you can use to wire the LC-1 analog output to. When you do that, you can datalog all of your parameters, including actual AF.

For some strange reason, SCT decided to drop that analog input when they designed the newer Xcal3.

Let me know if I din't make that clear enough.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
One thing to consider is that, if you have a wideband and want to datalog the AF through the handheld, you can do it with SCT's Xcal2 but not with the Xcal3.

I recently learned that I mis-spoke. Although they don't document it on the SCT web site, the Xcal3 has an analog input for datalogging that uses a firewire cable rather than the odd DIN cable that the Xcal2 uses.

Sorry for the mis-information.

Mark

Last edited:

jumperjack

Established Member
Here is a good how to on data logging A/F with the xcal3.
[ame=http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177202]How-To Datalog Wideband On XCAL 3 - Focus Fanatics[/ame]

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Thanks! I have been looking for that for a few days. For some reason I could not see that diagram on the SCT PRP forum.

Users who are viewing this thread