Hand Tool Prices

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I'm in the middle of my kit build and starting to realize I'm tired of all the mismatched sets I have. Sockets, screwdrivers etc. I'm also realizing I need some 12 point sockets. Ok, no problem, let's go shopping! I asked my wife if it was ok to buy some Mac products. She thought I was talking about make-up, so got the go-ahead.

I'm shopping the Mac Tools site and just about had heart failure. Damned expensive. I check Snapon and Matco, same thing, they are all about the same. I have to admit, it's been quite awhile since I've had to buy hand tools, but holy crap!

Anything out there that you guys consider to be a decent hand tool with lifetime warranty and won't fail every other time you use it? I won't consider HF or Craftsman.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s what I deal with at work, the damn tool prices have almost tripled since I started. You can check companies like Lisle or Astro pneumatics. The only downside is that you would have to send the broken stuff in instead of getting it from the tool truck.

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Did snap on used to be cheap or something? Those brands have always been overpriced.

Subscribe to my onlyfans

beau t

Established Member
I like gear wrench stuff for my carry around bag, its got a warranty and all the auto parts places around here used to carry it so it was easy to get warrantied out. Most quit carrying it so if you want it warrantied now i think you have to send it off, so i have broke 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, and 3/4 ratchet wrenches (replaced no problem) 1/2in drive ratchet with a long handle just bought a rebuild kit for 12$ and did it myself since i got it for free anyhow. Broke a snap on 36 in 1/2 drive ratchet that was new right off the truck so mentioning the broke tools shouldn't scare you away lol, According to my buddies i could break a anvil with a rubber hammer.

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
Is SK still aound? I have a ton and it's almost 50 yeas old.
Yes, I see a few places that have them. Tacoma Screw still carries them I believe. I've got several pieces, sockets and 1/2" drive ratchet. As a matter of fact, I broke my SK ratchet about 8 years ago. They replaced it no problem.
Did snap on used to be cheap or something? Those brands have always been overpriced.

Subscribe to my onlyfans
No, Snapon has always been pricey. I started buying Mac because they are high quality, but not the price of Snapon or Matco. Doesn't seem to be the case any longer.

robvas

Established Member
It seems like a few companies basically make everything. The Chinese stuff is half-decent these days, but the Taiwanese stuff is a bit better. The American stuff (Proto, Snap-on, etc) is great as well but sooo expensive. You're paying for the convenience of the tool truck for returns etc

Watch out because even companies like Snapon rebrand some crap that you can get anywhere. And avoid deals on Amazon because you can easily get screwed when it comes warranty time. Plus there is a lot of straight up junk, I've bought sockets that were the wrong size and won't even fit on a ratchet. Even though the cases etc look identical to brand name stuff the quality control is lacking.

Husky/Kobalt is alright I guess. Hear a lot of stories on warranty being a pain. Nothing special. same goes for craftsman. The craftsman stuff was never great back in the day IMO but it was "good enough" and every town had a Sears for returns. Craftsman did (not sure if they still do) had a higher end line made by a couple years ago, but it's expensive. I honestly like Harbor Freight, the Pittsburgh line can be hit or miss, Quinn is pretty good, the ICON line is nice but it's not as nice as the tool truck brands. Gearwrench makes some decent stuff too.

Then you have the online dealers that have gotten popular like Tekton and Capri. They are good sources for socket sets that don't skip sizes. No questions asked mail in warranty.

It all depends on the tool. If you want pliers look at some pliers reviews. Harbor freight's low end pliers are junk for instance but the Doyle and ICON stuff is usually pretty good. There's a ton of guys reviewing and breaking tools on YouTube.

Attachments

• IMG_8497.gif
    IMG_8497.gif
    114.3 KB · Views: 84

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I did just buy a Tekton in/lb 1/4 drive torque wrench. Seemed to be decent quality.

Anyone know where Milwaukee hand tools are made? And I just checked out Cornwell, decent prices.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Many years of gathering tools during my automotive career, hope to pass on to my son…

What are your favorites?

I've got a set of 50 yo Craftsman, and some newer Gearwrench.
The Channellock pliers I've purchased are very good and made in USA.

Recently ordered some through Amazon that I had been monitoring in my cart.
Today in true Amazon style, they show inflated price and small discount.

IMG_2842.jpeg
IMG_2843.jpeg

I ordered these back in early January, paid $37, but haven't received them yet.

IMG_2841.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread