Hand held Tuner vs Local Speed shop tuning

tooquick

Established Member
I'm new to tuning a vehicle as I have always owned fox bodys.I want to know would be better tuning my stock 2011 5.0 with a hand held tuner or taking it to a performance shop and allowing them to tune it for me with a dyno.I have looked into both but haven't decided what is better.I assume if a shop does it i'll have to take it back every time I want to bolt on or change the tune for whatever reason.Any professional info would be greatly apperciated.

apex32

5.slow
Established Member
I'm new to tuning a vehicle as I have always owned fox bodys.I want to know would be better tuning my stock 2011 5.0 with a hand held tuner or taking it to a performance shop and allowing them to tune it for me with a dyno.I have looked into both but haven't decided what is better.I assume if a shop does it i'll have to take it back every time I want to bolt on or change the tune for whatever reason.Any professional info would be greatly apperciated.

Don't get an email tune. Dyno tune only. Make sure its a reputable shop that isnt going to overtime the hell out of it and make sure they dont mess with the knock sensors.

Ford can tell if you tune it, and even if you flash it back to stock they will be able to see it in the future. You probably wont have a problem, but if you do and have tuned it in the past they will know and cancel the warranty.

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
In 2011 Ford added wideband o2 sensors to the Mustang, this gives the computer real time air to fuel ratio feedback at Wide Open Throttle. Previously, mustangs only measured air/fuel when idling and cruising, as the narrowbands did not work at WOT.

Air/fuel ratio is one of the biggest variables that is "tweaked" during a dynotune. The fuel trims still need to be looked at on an 11 when dynotuning, but the computer will tune out any abnormalities.

A good mail order tune can take you car far, and is very safe on these cars. It's a good option if you don't have a local tuner, and may be a good option even if you do.

I do dynotuning at my shop, but its quite a bit more expensive than just coming by to pick up a handheld tuner. I tell many local customers that are just getting started to skip the dynotune and put their money elsewhere.

Many people are concerned about the #8 cylinder issue, but that can happen even with a dynotune that is too aggressive.

Users who are viewing this thread