Half Shaft Problem

rcksblr

Established Member
I had a loud grinding noise starting up this weekend and couldn't tell if it was coming from the passenger front or rear. Tonight I jacked the rear up and the passenger side half shaft bearing/hub is bad. The tire felt like the lug nuts were loose it was piveting so bad back and forth. I can look behind the dust plate and see it's metal on metal (I can the shavings). I guess my main question would be if anyone knows what parts are typically bad when this happens. I understand you need to tear into it to fully see what all needs replaced. Has anyone else had this problem? Ideas on what all is bad? Prices? I want to get a ball park on pricing to deicide if I just want to replace everything on my own.

Thanks in Advance.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
this exact same thing just started on mine at 70k

i am betting the halfshaft is ok (for now i hope lol)

but it will be a matter of pressing in a new bearing/hub into the knuckle.

thanks to many excellent posts on this board by shelbyguy and others, i am going to attempt to pull the knuckle and do this work myself, even though i never worked on anything with cv joints before. i just need to obtain a 250 ft/lb torque wrench for this job, maybe i will be getting one for christmas lol

i notice that bruce ac427cobra is now selling the full refurbished knuckles

check out this vid on youtube for visuals:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1CqCFJVKNU]YouTube - Cobra IRS Hub and Bearing RR[/ame]

best of luck with it!

rcksblr

Established Member
Thanks, yea i'm kinda in the same boat. I dont have all the tools needed is the main thing. I moved this year and they are all back home. It's a fairly easy thing to do on your own if you have the tools.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
one thing i am not sure on yet is if it is completely necessary to replace the hub AND the bearing

i know the bearing is bad, but is it possible to re-use the hub? or is it a case-by-case basis.

i am thinking that driving for any length of time on a bad bearing is what messes up the seat in the hub, and therefore causes the hub to also need to be replaced

rcksblr

Established Member
Probably case by case. You will be able to tell if the hub needs replaced just by looking at it once you've got everything apart.

Users who are viewing this thread