tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry for your loss OP.
Losing a pet is always hard on family.

Recon

Established Member
Sorry to hear this. What kind of horse did she have? I know how your wife feels. I lost my last two dogs nine months apart from each other. I’ve always been very close with my dogs. It’s been a little of a year now and the pain hasn’t changed much at all.

Sent from the twilight zone…

Last edited:

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
Been there, very sorry to hear that. Once they start to colic it's a never-ending battle usually. Lots of vet bills and sleepless nights.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear this. What kind of horse did she have? I know how your wife feels. I lost my last two dogs nine months apart from each other. I’ve always been very close with my dogs. It’s been a little of a year now and the pain hasn’t changed much at all.

Sent from the twilight zone…
He was a Dutch Warmblood, a breed from Holland where they crossed Thoroughbreds with Draft horses. Draft horse strength and personality, Thoroughbred endurance. He was 18 hands and tipped the scales at 1,200lbs. He was a freaking comedian, too. He loved to stamp his foot down right on the edge of your shoe, when you weren't expecting it, and watch you jump. He could do it so accurately he never, ever, caught your foot. Just your shoe. Or, you'd be cleaning his hooves, and as you were, he'd gradually start putting weight on that leg, which you're holding cradled in your hands, the next thing you know, you're turning purple trying to hold him up. He thought that was hilarious.

When we first got him, Donna, my wife, was trying to put the bit in his mouth. He just lifted his head up. At 18 hands, that head could go far higher than my wife could reach. At 40, I was still a reasonably trim 250lbs. I thought, no problem, I'll just put my hands together around his neck and pull his head down. He let me do that for about a minute, and laughed as his head didn't drop an inch. Then he got tired of it, and he shrugged, not even trying hard at all, and I was flying through the air and landed flat on my ass. Ok, horse. Respect. But no carrots for you, tonight! Laugh that one off.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry James for your loss.. We had to put one of my daughters horses down 2 years ago. He was up there in years and started to founder and it just got worse and worse. We had to eventually put him down.
This is the first one we've lost. It was so unexpected. And it's different than when you lose a dog, isn't it? As much as it hurts to lose a dog. This is worse.

My wife doesn't know what she's going to do with herself. Her whole world revolved around that horse. She learned to pull a trailer, how to hook it up, unhook, back it up, so she could take the horse to different places.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So sorry to hear. Something about losing a pet/animal family member is devastating.

Why it sometimes hits harder than some humans when they pass I can't explain. Maybe it's because our pets have lived with us for some time.

Our senior beagle just turned 15 years old this month. It's just a matter of time.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Our senior beagle just turned 15 years old this month. It's just a matter of time.
My beagle turned 14 in February. He’s my best friend but I can’t help but constantly think about the clock.

I think people get attached to animals because, among other reasons, they are genuine. They don’t try to deceive and, for the most part, are trustworthy. They are everything we expect a human to be, but a human cannot live up to.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My beagle turned 14 in February. He’s my best friend but I can’t help but constantly think about the clock.

I think people get attached to animals because, among other reasons, they are genuine. They don’t try to deceive and, for the most part, are trustworthy. They are everything we expect a human to be, but a human cannot live up to.
You hit the nail on the head!

I constantly think about that dreaded day as well. I have for many years. I try not to dwell on it though, it just makes me sad.

When Sadie turned 10 years old we got her a sister. Addy was only 6-7 months old. And she was a rescue that didn't come from a good place.

It took Sadie awhile to warm up to her. But we really think it's helped prolong her life. We should have done it sooner.

Here they are just after eating about 10 minutes ago.

Not trying to hijack this thread, sorry!
c1ddcd7ef0736f809fcdc9c242447fe7.jpg

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
You hit the nail on the head!

I constantly think about that dreaded day as well. I have for many years. I try not to dwell on it though, it just makes me sad.

When Sadie turned 10 years old we got her a sister. Addy was only 6-7 months old. And she was a rescue that didn't come from a good place.

It took Sadie awhile to warm up to her. But we really think it's helped prolong her life. We should have done it sooner.

Here they are just after eating about 10 minutes ago.

Not trying to hijack this thread, sorry!
c1ddcd7ef0736f809fcdc9c242447fe7.jpg

Hi-jack it all you want, fine with me. To our animals and what they bring to our lives.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This is the first one we've lost. It was so unexpected. And it's different than when you lose a dog, isn't it? As much as it hurts to lose a dog. This is worse.

My wife doesn't know what she's going to do with herself. Her whole world revolved around that horse. She learned to pull a trailer, how to hook it up, unhook, back it up, so she could take the horse to different places.
Losing the horse was really hard on my girls, that was the hardest part for me. RE: dogs, I balled like a little girl when my boxer sarge passed. Took me awhile before I could bring myself to have another pup. I have great pitbull now. He is a rescue.

Users who are viewing this thread