had a dyno day today..... really low #'s

Venomous94Cobra

Established Member
Hey guys i figured id post in here the get some opinions, we had a dyno day today and my car put down some crappy numbers, its a 2008 gt500 with 60k miles, very well taken care of, always ran on mobil 1 synthetic and oil filter, amsoil tranny fluid and been 100% stock until 58k miles, best of 3 pulls it made 489whp and 516wtq on a dynojet dyno, heres the mods.

Stock blower
vmp mail order tune
Vmp 2.5 pulley with 90mm idler
Brisk racing plugs gapped at .032
Jlt carbon fiber 127 intake
Jba o/r x pipe
Mbrp race series axle backs
mcleod rxt clutch
Larger intercooler resivor
Stock gears
Dynojet dyno was used
Maf is clean (cleaned it about 1k miles ago)
pretty high humidity (92%, dyno was inside the building )
car feels pretty good but i know it should have put down alot more than that, last time at the track i went 11.8@120mph with 1.87 60' on mickey e.t. drags radials on welds rs-t wheels, thats before the 2.5 pulley and o/r x pipe.

Venomous94Cobra

Established Member
I did not, they had so many cars to dyno we didnt really have time, but it really shouldn't have been that high the car sat for several hours before the pull.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Hmmmmm, those are defiantly low #s.
Well either its the tune, I highly doubt it, or it was pulling timing.

If you still have the stock H/E then its most likely the latter. After sitting for a while IAT2 will actually shoot up, because the fluid isn't circulating, not to mention the heat from the engine. The stock H/E doesn't dissipate heat that well, even if the car was moving, trust me I know.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Hmmmmm, those are defiantly low #s.
Well either its the tune, I highly doubt it, or it was pulling timing.

If you still have the stock H/E then its most likely the latter. After sitting for a while IAT2 will actually shoot up, because the fluid isn't circulating, not to mention the heat from the engine. The stock H/E doesn't dissipate heat that well, even if the car was moving, trust me I know.

This is true. If I'm out cruising, that's one reason I hate stopping in a hangout for awhile because then my iat's go way up from the car sitting and takes forever to bring them back down.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Something isnt right you need to data log. I would contact vmp since thats who tuned your car so they can look over things for you.

Speedboosted

Established Member
If you trapped 120 before the pulley, it is definitely pulling timing. 120 trap with your weight is around 540 rwhp, I wouldn't worry about those numbers too much, car was just hot

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Sounds like it's time for the cooling mods, call Van @revan racing to get a dual fan h/e

Zemedici

Established Member
Cooling mods wouldn't do much while the cars off. Hahah

Heat soak bud, all it is. Nothing to worry about.

Venomous94Cobra

Established Member
Thanks guys, im going to try and contact Justin from VMP tomorrow and fax him the dyno sheet, i also planned on data logging this week if i had time. I figured its probably heat soak, im goingvto install my 160 thermostat soon along with a heat exchanger from vmp (just really like dealing with Bj and Justin they've been great to me)

Venomous94Cobra

Established Member
Dyno is just number. If everything else looked good your fine, maybe your tune is off after your recent mods. Go back to the track and run it!

Thats been my game plan, every track day we've had so far has been rained out, im about to pull my hair out if i dont get some track time soon! Lol but im going to data log it and see whats what, I'm sure shes got more in her with some tweaking on the tune.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I guarantee you it was heat soaked.

As suggested earlier, you're actually better off pulling off the street and directly onto the dyno that you are letting it sit and bake in its own crap for any period of time.

After I make a pass at the track, my peak of 130-135 drops down to 120 or so before I get back to the pits (Multi pass/multi fan heat exchanger!!).

I can turn it off for 30 minutes and go 'key on' and the IAT2 is around 175*!!! Start the car and get the pump and fans going and it drops to 120 in about a minute.

http://vmptuning.com/07-12-gt500-cooling/vmphe-dual/

On sale today and tomorrow.

And don't ever dyno your car without getting a datalog unless you just want something to look at. Data is knowledge. Your relative density on that day was 97.65% with a DA of over 1000 ft above terrain.

bj

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Good to talk with you. Your VMP Triple Pass/Dual Fan heat exchanger will be on its way!

bj

Mustangtcs

Established Member
Just know that the thermostat alone will not improve your car running cooler. My stock fans came on over 200. Now they come on at 185 and shut off at 180. Through data logging I verified my temps also stay right there. I also have a 160 stat which came with my Kenne Bell kit. I have the afco dual fan heat exchanger for the GT500 and with my fan settings my Kenne Bell car that is known for heat soaking never heat soaks.

Thanks guys, im going to try and contact Justin from VMP tomorrow and fax him the dyno sheet, i also planned on data logging this week if i had time. I figured its probably heat soak, im goingvto install my 160 thermostat soon along with a heat exchanger from vmp (just really like dealing with Bj and Justin they've been great to me)

Users who are viewing this thread