Haartz cloth convertible top

TheDoughboy

Established Member
I've tried the search function like I always do before posting and new thread, but it is still broken...

Has anyone here replaced their convertible top with a Haartz Cloth one Instead of vinyl one? Where you happy with the results for the extra money? Anyone here opt for a red/burgundy top instead of black or saddle on their Laser Red SN? I think I have seen a pic of a SN95 with a red cloth top on it awhile back.

I do Not have room in the garage for the car, so it is outside 365. Since I live in the Northwest with the extra moisture would I have a mold/mildew problem with the cloth. I know Haartz recommends RaggTopp Fabric Top Cleaner/Protectant.

Any and all photos you have of a Laser Red SN with a red or burgundy top would be Greatly appreciated :)

Thank you,

Ron

Snagmaster

Established Member
As you may know the Cobra came with a cloth top and the rest with vinyl.

I've been wondering where to find a cloth top if mine ever needs one so thanks for that source.

Although I live near Seattle, the rain Capitol of the world, my car is garaged and covered and I've had lots of people ask if my top was new, I use a dressing made for canvas tops and it works fine but I'll check into the product you mentioned.

I think it would be neat if I use a red top on my black vert when replaced someday, if it's the right red.

There's a huge "Mustangs on the Waterfront" show in Port Orchard Washington on July 31st and I'm going just to take pics and do research this year as there are so many cars and people there that I can't get my car back out and enjoy it elsewhere during the show.

If I see a red top I'll get pics and post them here.

Now if I could only find a full red interior..........

TheDoughboy

Established Member
I am the third owner of my Cobra and mine has a vinyl top. I had No idea the Cobra came with a cloth top from the factory. Someone must have replaced mine with vinyl I guess. Hoglunds in Everett quoted me a canvas top for $605 and $600 in labor (6 hours) to install. Here is their site www.hoglunds.com/

I still have some life left in my top now but I will have it replaced before winter with a red canvas one. Thanks for the heads up on the car show. I found a link to it for any other PNW readers that might want to go as well. I'll be there for sure ;)

http://www.kitsapmustangclub.org/theshow.html

Snagmaster

Established Member
That's funny because my two owner garaged covered 98 Cobra came with a canvas top, even the literature says Canvas.

And my top has not been replaced.

TheDoughboy

Established Member
Hmm... I am the third owner of my Cobra and I suspect the top has been replaced once with the vinyl is has now. I say that because the staples have a little surface rust on them. I am pretty sure Ford would have used stainless staples at the factory. Then again, I could be wrong :shrug:

Snagmaster

Established Member
The first owner of mine was the fire dept chief of shoreline Washington, they bought it new and it had 26,000 miles when I got it and it was immaculate show quality, a museum piece.

They had never kept a penny from being spent on the car if needed, I even got a new nos license plate holder for the front with the car as there was a hairline scratch on the original, the factory rims had some bubbling? In the paint? So they were replaced.

It had never been driven in the rain when I bought it, although I have 4-5 times now, you can still see zero corrosion on anything under the car, still looks new although dusty.

I asked about the top as it's so nice and they said it was original, still looks new , not even faded yet.

I'll look for the factory part number tag today and post it here, I have seen it in print about it having a canvas top although I have no idea where but I'll look for it.

And I've never really read anything about the new edge cars except for the drive train as I don't care for the look so much.

Not to say I'm absolutely correct but it's just my experience so far.

TheDoughboy

Established Member
It had never been driven in the rain when I bought it, although I have 4-5 times now

Mine is a daily driver and my only car, besides my wife's car. I drive from Marysville to Monroe five days a week, rain or shine. It is a 52 mile round trip and I have 69k miles on it now.

Snagmaster

Established Member
The first time mine was driven in the rain was going to the Mustangs 50th Anniversary show at the Lemay Museum in Tacoma sponsored by Haggerty insurance.

Of course it rained but it was still a good time, hardly any Shelby's showed up, may have had something to do with horrible traction issues.

There were only two 94-98 verts that showed up, mine and a white w/black top, both Cobras.

I have an overhead view pic of the lawn with the cars parked in shape of a huge 50 taken by Haggerty, mine didn't make it into that because of a line jumper, I missed it by one car , oh well.

If you're coming to the show on the 31st make sure you research where to park as they close off the entire waterfront to traffic and you may have to walk aways.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the Haartz Stayfast Canvas top on my 02 GT. It is amazing! I get compliments all the time on it. It looks great, it is heavy, and it is so much nicer than the vinyl.

TheDoughboy

Established Member
I have the Haartz Stayfast Canvas top on my 02 GT. It is amazing! I get compliments all the time on it. It looks great, it is heavy, and it is so much nicer than the vinyl.

Does the extra weight of the canvas top slow down the operation of putting the top Up? Does the hydraulic pump sound like it's working harder with canvas vs vinyl?

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
i replaced my canvas top with a cloth top. much better quality and a little more quiet as well. not a lot, but it was noticeable. top operates same as before. the cloth top is clearly the better choice unless youre looking at some sort of restoration project.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member

Here is my build on the convertible, the very first picture of the car had the vinyl top and the others have the Haartz Stayfast Canvas http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1059733-Project-Deceptive-GT.

Does the extra weight of the canvas top slow down the operation of putting the top Up? Does the hydraulic pump sound like it's working harder with canvas vs vinyl?

I have not noticed any issues in raising or lowering the top. I was going to get a cloth top but everyone I knew with the cloth like the 03-04 Cobras hated the wrinkles and such that they got from actually putting the top down.

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
BTW Shake&Bake, love the look of your vert, damn that's nice, understated and mean looking.

Thanks man, appreciate it. Verts don't get much love on this forum...hence why I rarely visit this site much.

The 96-98 didn't have cloth. The cloth tops look nicer, but I think are heavier...not sure.

Snagmaster

Established Member
After getting a better pair of glass and taking a good look at it last night you are correct, it's vinyl.

I had read somewhere the Cobras had canvas, must have not noticed the years, I've always thought it was cloth, it isn't.

No wonder it's not faded, but I've been putting canvas dressing on it for 2 years now, it must have evaporated instead of soaking into it as I thought which led me to believe......

Gotta get my eyes checked again I guess.

PS: Still love the look of your vert, never did like the look of black wheels before, but yours just looks right with them.

Enjoy

richstang

Established Member
I'm the original owner of my '98 Cobra convertible. They only came with the vinyl top. If they had the cloth I would have ordered that with it.

My '88 LX had a white vinyl top, that I replaced with a black Haartz cloth top back in '96. It was well worth the extra money and I'd do it again. 20 years later and it still looks great, folds down perfectly, and there are no wrinkles. Yes, it a different car/roof, but I would think it is very similar in operation. By the way the '88 folds down in a few seconds, the '98 takes forever and you have to pull that E-brake...very annoying if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread