H&R Race springs with ISO

jdblown03

Established Member
I installed H&R race springs with new ISO's all the way around. The car did not drop as much as I wanted it to, is it better to remove the upper or lower ISO or does it matter? I would prefer to leave all of them but the car only lowered about 3/4'' all the way around.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I was sold on the poly which makes the car more responsive but does not give much.

The reason it didn't drop to your liking is because those polyurethane iso's are thicker than the stockers and they do not give as much. I would re-install the stock rubber isolators and the drop will be much more appealing to you. I used the polyurethane isolators when I ran the H&R Sport springs but those were a bit lower than the Race springs.

jdblown03

Established Member
What about just taking out the lower? Or should I put the rubber lower back in. Will it be a problem to have upper poly and lower rubber? Or would it be better to have no lower?

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
The reason it didn't drop to your liking is because those polyurethane iso's are thicker than the stockers and they do not give as much. I would re-install the stock rubber isolators and the drop will be much more appealing to you. I used the polyurethane isolators when I ran the H&R Sport springs but those were a bit lower than the Race springs.
He nailed this. I have H&R Race Springs and had poly isolators and swapped back to new stock rubber isolators. With them I now have a 1 3/4" drop in front and 1 1/4" in rear. I want lower in rear so am going with MM's adjustable lower control arms.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
What about just taking out the lower? Or should I put the rubber lower back in. Will it be a problem to have upper poly and lower rubber? Or would it be better to have no lower?

Personally, I would just re-install the stock upper and lower isolators. I'm not sure what ride heights you'll gain from a mix-match of the rubber and polyurethane iso's. You can take out the bottom polyurethane isolators to see what ride height you'll achieve.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
I dont know what kind of roads you have but I have H&R race with all isos out and rides with no problem or noise and the fenders sits 1 1/2 - 2 fingers off the tire.

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
Don't take out the isolators, the car will squeek like crazy! My car has none...leave the stock ones back in it

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
when i was running th h&r race springs. the perfect stance imo was all stock iso's meaning top and bottem in the rear springs. and only bottem stock iso's in the front gave the car a nice rake and a hell of a stance. i dont have any pics but there was about a 1 1/2 finger gap in the front fenders and about 2 1/4 in the back.

jdblown03

Established Member
when i was running th h&r race springs. the perfect stance imo was all stock iso's meaning top and bottem in the rear springs. and only bottem stock iso's in the front gave the car a nice rake and a hell of a stance. i dont have any pics but there was about a 1 1/2 finger gap in the front fenders and about 2 1/4 in the back.

This is probably what I will do if not go stock all the way back around. I put on H&R 1'' wheel spacers last night and from the back it looks alot tougher but from the side it looks like alot more space between the tire and fender.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member

RED03SVT

Established Member
Took me a couple times of removing and putting back to get it right. I would recommend putting the stock isos back and removing the top iso in the front. 3 fingers in the back, 2 fingers in the front. Thought it would be noisy but figured if I didn't like it I could put them back. Now I love the stance and there is no noise whatsoever. Good Luck!

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
how long has it been since you installed the springs? the car does take some time to settle. I would wait atleast a week to see where the car willl finally sit at. Definitly move back to the stock Iso's.

Some people like the "raked" looked..i personally detest it on our cars. In order to avoid it, remove the rear upper iso and the car will sit level with the aggresive stance you are looking for.

good luck and post back up with some pictures

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
how long has it been since you installed the springs? the car does take some time to settle. I would wait atleast a week to see where the car willl finally sit at. Definitly move back to the stock Iso's.

Some people like the "raked" looked..i personally detest it on our cars. In order to avoid it, remove the rear upper iso and the car will sit level with the aggresive stance you are looking for.

good luck and post back up with some pictures

Do you have any pics of yours with that set-up?

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I just did H&R Race Springs with the stock iso. Like you I was sold on the benefits of the firmer poly iso but decided that it would not be low enough. The race springs and the stock iso are the right combination IMO. :coolman:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Here's mine with stock iso's all around. Personally I can't stand the raked look unless you can barely tell it's there. Or unless you have some big ole tires/slicks on the rear.

P7160099.jpg

P7160102.jpg

Last edited:

drptitan

Established Member
I kept the stock ISOs with cut springs. My buddy took both out front and rear and has no noise and he has the pro kit. If you like the poly ISOs though just cut the springs a little, thats what we did on my buddys SS.

I kinda laughed at this a little when I was looking through my pics the other day. Both pics are with my phone, first 2are from the night I put the wheels on and the last one is after I cut my springs. I did not realize how high my car sat until I compared the two.

0124082304.jpg

0124082304a.jpg

0126081003.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread