H&R race springs + MM IRS bushings = no wheelhop

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
i was gonna PM you the info, but i figured i would post it here for reference for anyone else planning on doing it. for the bushing install i used an electric drill (any good quality drill would work), wire wheel (i used 3 different types ranging in size from 1.5" to 2", the latter barely fitting in the sleeve, but still worked) and 1.5" sanding rolls (used about 1 roll per sleeve), a large C clamp (vital tool i believe it was 6"), and a large socket (2" or larger, i actually used a hole saw bit that was like 2 1/8 to fit around the outer bushing housing so i could put the c clamp on one end and push the old bushing out, and the new bushing in), and a large flathead screwdriver with a hammer to take off the big chunks of rubber. for the springs all you need are some good jacks, couple sets of jackstands, ratchet and sockets (1/2 ratchet and 18mm socket and i believe its 14 mm for the rear IRS bolt, not sure i have the button head bolts in) just shoot if you have any questions

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
thanks for the info, seems like I need to be investing in some of those tools..... I've got all the normal ones but I need a drill, wire wheel and a C-clamp and a large socket (2").. time to go tool shopping!

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
Originally posted by maoun
put a small pulley and some gears and enjoy the wheelhop again!

I'm sure more power will cause more wheel hop, I'm trying to do my mods slowly, so I don't get bored with the power level so I don't end up going crazy before the warrenty is up. After the bushings and springs go in, some better tires will go on around december, inspection is due and my dealership already said they wouldn't pass. then after I get some money together, I'll get the exhaust and then a pulley and the predator, probably the 2.93, but when ever a best fix for the IRS problem comes out, that'll take priority, this is my only car so I can't afford to break half-shafts.

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
I have the MM IRS bushings and Steeda differential bushings. I just went to the track this past Sunday, and I'm still hoppin' with the stock pulley and DRs! Not as bad, but still enough that I have to back out of it, my 60' times suck, and it blows my run. Springs and shocks were my next attempt to get rid of it. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about. I'm lowered and I hop like a son-of-a-bitch. It reminds me of my 99 cobra. You have to do it jussssttt right to not get it to hop. I'm now starting to really think about the solid live axle more and more. There should be a kit available. :idea: Just isn't fun hoping, I watch an 03 cobra at the track this past weekend with all the bolt-on and DR in the back . The rear looks to take alot of abuse when its hoping, not only up and down but side to side.:burnout: :bash: :bash: not cool at all.
I'm gonna brake something soon if I keep doing it. :kaboom:

Last edited:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by brad65ford
I'm now starting to really think about the solid live axle more and more. There should be a kit available. :idea: ...

Rumor has it, that Amazon racing has something being developed in this area.

Users who are viewing this thread