H&R race springs + MM IRS bushings = no wheelhop

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
its great i can now punch it in first on street tires and it just spins, no hop whatsoever. and it takes off like a bat out of hell with the BFGs on. now time for some 1.7 60's and 11s with stock pulleys.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Congrats on eliminating the hop. I've often wondered if lowering this car is what prevents the hop. Ever since the day I dropped the car, I have never had wheel hop!! Something to keep and eye on, maybe I should start a poll.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
What's the difference between the Race springs and the Sports?
Same lowering height but the ride is different? Educate me please.

FuShnickens

Get It On!
Established Member
the h&r race springs are rated 750-850 front/770 rear, super sports are 700-760f/685 rear, afaik there are no h&r sport rated springs for the 03.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
Originally posted by Mustang Mike
Good luck, 11's without a pulley would be something else! Haven't seen it yet.

i think if i did headers and throttle body i could easily get it, it will just be more of a challenge without.

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
fiorefiveoh- how much did those springs lower it? any effect on the ride quality? Did you put that stuff on yourself, or whee did you get it done?

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
well the back is definitely lower, i would say about 3/4 of an inch, maybe more. on the fronts i put in polyeurethane spring isolaters so that if the front was too low it would even it out. it looks like the front barely dropped any, if at all a 1/4 inch. but i think it will take some time for these springs to settle so i have been driving it a lot. i am not sure about the settling though, i hope it does get lower. it has a nice even stance now though. it does seem a little tighter around the turns, rides the same as stock. i had my buddy do the fronts, because i never had luck doing fronts on mustangs, and he does it real fast. he tried but couldnt get the rear spring out, so i ended up doing it myself. all i did was unbolt the shock, and rear irs mounts. lowered the rear of the IRS enough to drop the spring out, put the new spring in with rubbe isolators. took the jack stands out holding hte chassis up, and put jackstands under the IRS brace. and lowered the car onto the IRS which made it a ton easier to line the bushings up. it took me about 40 mins to do my rear springs. i am gonna try and hit some good turns tonight to see the difference.

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
it feels slightly firmer, but not much, rides pretty much same as stock. me and my buddy swapped cobras last night, he has a bone stock cobra. he and i both agreed that mine was just slightly firmer in regular driving and rode pracically the same.

trey193

Established Member
I cut my stock springs 1-1/4 coils in front and a coil in back, the car sits perfect in my opinon( a hair taller than the H&R's but not much) and it has also eliminated 99% of the hop, it did hop the other day now that the streets are cooling down and my BFG's were trying to grab. Another thing I have noticed is now that my car is lowered that the halfshafts are level where as before they were at an angle when the car was stock rideheight, not sure if it helps but my car has been a 1.51 60footer and several 1.6's I think with the halfshafts being level puts less stress on them.

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
I'm moving into a new place soon where I'll have a niec drivewy to work in (can't afford a place with a garage, lol) anyone wanna do the swap with me?? in PHilly area

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
I live in north of philadelphia, so yeah I'll be in PA, lol. I plan on doing the springs and the bushings all at once. I'll probably do it in december or november. How hard are the bushings? any special tolls I'll need to do them or the springs? thanks, I'd definitly apriciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread