H&R Race spring install was a breeze...

SpectorV

Established Member
I wrote a how to for a NON IRS car, here is the link to it: Installing Mustang Lowering Springs

if you have an IRS car its just about as easy, the only difference is you remove the back frame bolts on the IRS after you remove the exhaust hanger bolts and then use a jack to slowly tilt the IRS down and backwards. The rear springs FALL out.

Nyarlathotep

Established Member
Thanks for the link, that will definitely help. So do most of you guys have a preference for springs? I'm looking at a set of H&R Sport Springs right now.

This was the old setup I had:

Tokico Illumina Adjustable Shocks and Struts
Steeda Quad Shocks
Steeda Rear Adjustable Swaybar
Steeda Caster Camber Plates
Steeda X2 Balljoints
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Maximum Motorsports Center Drilled Aluminum Rack Bushings
Granatelli Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms w/ polyurethane bushings
Front and Rear Polyurethane Spring Isolators

But it looks like this time around I'll be using H&R sports, tokico HP shocks/struts and just the rear lower isos. Can anyone recommend replacing or installing any bushings while I'm under there like offset rack?

SpectorV

Established Member
I love my H&R race, the rate is stiff but the ride is really good overall, any lower than I am with the race would be to low

Nyarlathotep

Established Member
I plan on keeping the car on the street, so would you reccomend sticking with the sports? 1.5 in the back and 1.6 in the front is about as low as I would want to go.

BLKSVTSNAKE

Established Member
The Race spring is stiffer than the stock springs but the ride quality is not really sacrificed. I would recommend the Race springs all day long.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
I installed race springs and MM c/c plates a couple days ago. It definitely wasn't a breeze for me but this thread made it a million times easier.

On thing I'd like to add is that when you install the rear springs have the writing on them face out. If you face them the way the factory ones are you will have rubbing issues or have the end of the coil stick out on the top like mine did.

shurur

Established Member
yup

Yes..but I used pipe clamps....and we're both lucky to be alive and well.
I was unsure about removing the IRS bolt and working it all alone...but more scared after finishing using the pipe clamps...and I used 8 pipe clamps per!..Thank God for adrenaline...one slip and game over.

Hey good write up.... well it was a little difficult for me .... the front was a breeze when i did mine. the rear sucked i never messed with the irs. i ltook out the shock bolts and then i pried the springs out to put them in i compressed them with loaner spring compressors from a parts store and i tied wire clothes hangers in 4 different places and tied them up real tight on the coils, Then i placed the springs tightened up everything and cut the hanger wire with wire cutters and bam the springs were on.. Anyone else done this trick?

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Yes..but I used pipe clamps....and we're both lucky to be alive and well.
I was unsure about removing the IRS bolt and working it all alone...but more scared after finishing using the pipe clamps...and I used 8 pipe clamps per!..Thank God for adrenaline...one slip and game over.

:shrug: Must have done something wrong, as you don't need a spring compressor at all? I could do both of my fronts in about an hour from pick up to set down.

The rear is even easier...? Jack up car and support on stands, place jack under the pumpkin, remove a couple of bolts and then lower the jack slowly until the springs literally fall out.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Ordered my Race springs, MM ISO's today...tried and true combination

OP, thanks for the write up

markcass123

Established Member
thanks for this how to... really helped me in my install... took me a while tho because I did the front ball joints as well which was 70% of the job because i couldnt get them out !

Also ran into problems with the rear springs because when I removed the IRS bolts from both sides the IRS refused to come lose and would not drop when I lowered the jack under the differential. I solved this problem by using my other jack on the passenger side wheel well by jacking up the nearest IRS bar by the control arm and lowering it then i repeated other side a few times and finally the IRS came loose from the up and down motion. This allowed me to complete the job. I guess since the termi is becoming an older car now the IRS is a little more stubborn now !

Thanks for the help guys !

KILRSVT

Established Member
I remember mine was a comers pita... But worth it installing my mm front end that should be a task as well

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I'll bump this for a great write up. Installing my H&R Race Springs on my '03 Vert currently. Not easy for me but I enjoy doing car projects myself rather than paying someone. Plus I know how it was done, and correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread