H/E Without Fans Even Worth It?

Sirraf

Established Member
Ok, so I can get a sweet deal on a new AFCO heat exchanger without fans. My question is, is it even worth it to install a H/E if it doesn't have fans? I know the H/E's with fans are better, but I don't want to waste my time with install and what not if it is not going to help much. Thanks!

sqidd

Established Member
Fans are completely overblown (pun intended). Unless you're looking to cool your car down between rounds at the drag strip they do almost nothing. And unless your pump is running too they really do almost nothing.

At best fans can move about 8-10mph worth of air through the core (despite bullshit manufacturer claims). So if your car is moving over 10mph they are IMPEDING flow.

And when you're under 10mph you're not making boost, which means you're not making much heat.

The space occupied with fans is MUCH better spent on more core volume.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Testing was done years ago and fans showed significantly more cooling, I'm to lazy to look it up. You'll always be stopped at some point, in traffic or waiting to do a run and the fans keep temps cooler.

sqidd

Established Member
Absent actual testing I call bull on them showing any improvement over 10mph. And even if they do show an improvement under 10mph they will be a performance disadvantage over 10mph.

nxhappy

Established Member
yes you need the fans. Especially if you drive in city traffic. While the car is sitting you NEED the fans. Which includes being at the track.

Just save a little extra money and buy a new unit with FANS. Do it right the first time and don't cheap out.

sqidd

Established Member
Has anyone here sat in traffic testing fans using a water temp sensor? I have.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
You aren't flowing more air over 10mph. You're flowing less.

How would you possibly flow less air with fans, the car would reach a certain speed that air would move faster than the fans push but it wouldn't be a hinderance.

Native

Established Member
How would you possibly flow less air with fans, the car would reach a certain speed that air would move faster than the fans push but it wouldn't be a hinderance.

I believe he's implying that the fans can only push approximately 10 mph worth of air. If traveling over 10mph wind becomes dominant and the fans become obsolete. If there are fans in front of the contact surface area there's less surface for natural wind to cool the car.

I'm interested in the actual test results too.

Sirraf

Established Member
You aren't flowing more air over 10mph. You're flowing less.

I could see the fan shroud and whatnot impeding the free flow of air across the fins. Even though the fans are behind the unit, it would decrease air flow velocity passing all the way through. It would decrease heat dissipation at higher speeds I would think.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
There was a test done years ago, stock vs bigger he vs bigger he fanned and the iat2s got better with each one. You can also rig a toggle switch them on/off whenever you want, this guy must live right off the highway because his car never stops.

Dinosgt

Established Member
Ok, so I can get a sweet deal on a new AFCO heat exchanger without fans. My question is, is it even worth it to install a H/E if it doesn't have fans? I know the H/E's with fans are better, but I don't want to waste my time with install and what not if it is not going to help much. Thanks!

I have been researching this for some time. Not claiming to be an expert, as Van, VMP, and others here have much more data - But from me closely monitoring IAT2 temps, I can tell you that "heat soak" is the biggest problem. Without air moving over the core IAT2 temps climb considerably when moving at under 10-20 mph, and it's tough to recover quickly. Once you get about 110-120 degrees the Motor starts to pull timing, losing power. I think my car probably has a pretty good HE from the factory, but the lack of constant movement of fluid under 104 degrees IAT2 , where the ecu shuts off the intercooler pump (at least that what my logging indicates) coupled with the lack of air moving across the core at low speeds, means the system heat soaks, killing power. I strongly believe a set of fans is critical, as well as keeping the fluid moving through a revised tune to keep the pump on.

Now I really wish I could find Spal or other aftermarket fans to go behind the factory unit, but I don't think they exist in thicknesses that work, ergo the need to get an aftermarket unit.
FWIW..:beer:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I could see the fan shroud and whatnot impeding the free flow of air across the fins. Even though the fans are behind the unit, it would decrease air flow velocity passing all the way through. It would decrease heat dissipation at higher speeds I would think.

^^^^^^^^^^and this is why the 2013/14 GT500 fan shroud is a nice plug and play for the 2007-2012 GT500...........

E61E3EBB-89E4-49C1-8C29-9A1A6212274D-4520-00000522AC6A9618_zpsc6c7c442.jpg

D8AC024C-BEA2-4000-9781-7A70497C8C74-4520-000005213ABF9E76_zps6c7de4f8.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^Larger open for the fan air flow AND trap doors in the area behind the H/E area for better air flow. Nice upgrade for the earlier cars.

R

Speedboosted

Established Member
I'm running a 13/14 takeoff, no fans

Best setup in my opinion. I wish I would've kept the one I had.

I don't think a lot of you guys who are arguing with Sqidd know who he is. The dude has done more testing on airflow and cooling with the S197's than anyone else I can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread