H/E Fan noise - connection to pump?

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Guys: I just got my H/E installed (Steeda with double fans). Definitely is working as i can hear it all the time. From another post, I take it the fans will run whenever the car is on because the fans kick on with the H/E coolant pump. Is that right? The pump runs whenever the motor runs and thus the H/E fans run....? I guess I am a bit sad that between the tune that definitely runs the radiator fan more often and now the H/E fans, this thing is really loud. I have a convertible, so maybe I notice it more than others, but is a tad annoying. Any way around this? Maybe have the fans on a thermostat instead of always-on?

Thanks

99SSls1

Established Member
That is normal. You could wire in a thermostat in on the power running to the fans but it would be a waste imho. This would only give you a small amount of time b/c it will just heat up and turn on anyway.

You could unhook one fan, have the tune adjusted to turn on the radiator fan later and just live with it.

Imatk

Established Member
The fans will run when the pump runs, at least that's how it's wired with the C&R.

Dynobrat

Established Member
The solution you should want is an aircraft grade switch in the cabin wired into the positive side so you turn it on/off when your little heart desires. It would take you a matter of minutes once you decide where you want to mount the switch.

Kevin P

Established Member
I have been considering a switch. It could be a low-amp one, because its all run through a relay anyway. You would just need to control the power signal to the relay via a cabin-mounted switch. Could even hid it in the glove box or something.

Speedboosted

Established Member
One local guy at our track has a switch wired right under his E-brake handle. He said it didn't take very long to do. I've thought about it, but along with the 13/14 radiator fan that I put on (which is louder than the stock fan) I don't really hear the HE fans

Doc Vegas

Established Member
Thanks guys, if anyone here attempts this, please post a how-to. It is widely inferred, but can someone finitely confirm that the H/E coolant pump does indeed run whenever the engine is running (regardless of temp?)?

Sorry I am picky, but I feel like I have a massive hair dryer running when cruising slow, kind of annoying.... Probably would be irrelevant with a hard top and AC/DC pumping....

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have a 11 vert and the only time I hear the fans is if I am driving through an enclosed parking garage.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
It is widely inferred, but can someone finitely confirm that the H/E coolant pump does indeed run whenever the engine is running (regardless of temp?)?

With the stock tune, no it does not run all the time. With a custom tune, yes it should be expected to run all the time to keep downstream air temps under control to have max performance available at all times. Your fan relays are triggered "on" by the power wire going to the intercooler pump, so when your pump is running the fans run also. You can run a manual 12VDC switch to trigger your fans instead of the intercooler pump, as others have stated.

Here is my manual override switch so I can run the pump and fans with the ignition off. My switch gets 12VDC from the accessory power plug in the console, and I ran a power lead to the fan relay trigger wires and intercooler pump power wire... real simple to do.

switch_1.jpg

switch_2.jpg

Your heat exchanger fan schematic should look something like this if using SPAL fans:

Spal Fan schematic.jpg

Last edited:

Doc Vegas

Established Member
I have a 11 vert and the only time I hear the fans is if I am driving through an enclosed parking garage.

Yeah, that's where i hear it the loudest, but I can hear mine at any stop light. People always look over like what the hell is that sound, maybe it is just my funny looking face though....

Users who are viewing this thread