Guys on water/meth, in here

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thinking about the Snow Performance stage 2 kit. On average, how much power did you gain with meth injection? Where are your methanol injectors installed? Water to meth mix or do you use premix stuff?

Did you need a retune or did your current tune automatically adjust (2011+)?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You'll need to spray post-blower to see any considerable improvement in IAT's. I sprayed between my turbos and blower and it helped some but nothing life changing. I'm taking the kit off with the new build, it's a Snow stage 2 kit if you're interested in it. The pump is brand new, has only been used a handful of times.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thanks for the heads up!

Im more interested in meth injection for the octane boost. If theres a little more cooling of the IAT2s to me thats a bonus.

Ill call lethal and Lund Racing and find out about a retune (if necessary). After more research, i might be inclined to save for the stage 3 snow kit.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
As mentioned, water/meth is most effective post air compression. That's why you don't see it a lot on PD blower setups, it's difficult to get the injector mounted in a place that sprays throughout the charge evenly. The best setup I've seen is probably the one on the larger Kenne Bells that have an injector port right in the top of the blower case between the rotors.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the heads up!

Im more interested in meth injection for the octane boost. If theres a little more cooling of the IAT2s to me thats a bonus.

Ill call lethal and Lund Racing and find out about a retune (if necessary). After more research, i might be inclined to save for the stage 3 snow kit.

Relying on it for octane is a dangerous game to play. Too many variables involved. If the tank runs out, the pump dies, you don't have it mixed properly... things will break. You're far better off just running good fuel whether that be ethanol or race gas.

Willie

Established Member
Thinking about the Snow Performance stage 2 kit.

Do your research on multiple companies before deciding on one, based on solely how they "sell" you. Don't choose a company solely because they advertise the most.... You just might find a better fit.......

On average, how much power did you gain with meth injection? Where are your methanol injectors installed? Water to meth mix or do you use premix stuff?

You don't actually make more power with methanol. But the "byproduct" of it can..... 1) Spark advance.
Nozzles are located in the intake air stream; the specific location determined by your objective.... more below.
IMO, the water/methanol mix should also be determined by your objective.

Did you need a retune or did your current tune automatically adjust (2011+)?

No. There will be some that say you do but my reasoning just might convince you otherwise.

If this is your objective, place the nozzle either just before or after the TB. The supercharger will evenly disperse the methanol so that all cylinders will receive equal amounts. The disadvantage to placing the nozzle here is that you get minimal cooling, if at all. Personally, I saw NO cooling.

Also use 100 percent methanol for octane boost.

Let me ask, if your goal is octane boost, wouldn't it be simpler, easier and more economical to use 100+ octane or a can of Race Gas?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The idea i suppose is to have 100+ octane on demand when i go into boost. As much fun as 8.00 per gallon 100 octane is to buy, and 30 bucks a can for torco for a few gallons of 100 when mixed with 91 its a pain to me.

I would considered going e85 if it didn't require a capital investment nearly 3x that of methanol injection. On top of the fact that e85 is inconsistent at the pumps near me and it destroys engine oil. As i think the proper safeguarded setup will cost me near $800 not including a tune, I'll have to put it on the back burner for now.

Hell, for the power output i may as well just say f it and go with a 100 shot of wet nitrous lol

802gt500

Established Member
Great info guys. Very interested in a meth setup for a little more power and reliable octane boosts/ cooler ait because of the unknown octane at the fuel pumps.

Please continue with this discussion.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The idea i suppose is to have 100+ octane on demand when i go into boost. As much fun as 8.00 per gallon 100 octane is to buy, and 30 bucks a can for torco for a few gallons of 100 when mixed with 91 its a pain to me.

I would considered going e85 if it didn't require a capital investment nearly 3x that of methanol injection. On top of the fact that e85 is inconsistent at the pumps near me and it destroys engine oil. As i think the proper safeguarded setup will cost me near $800 not including a tune, I'll have to put it on the back burner for now.

Hell, for the power output i may as well just say f it and go with a 100 shot of wet nitrous lol

As with anything, gotta pay to play. Tuning your car to expect 100 octane and then the meth not providing that 100 octane for one reason or another is going to be a lot more expensive than running $8/gal gas whenever you have the hot tune up loaded. I stopped even running pump gas in my car at all, just isn't worth the risk when trying to make a bunch of power.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
In a car with knock sensors (2011+ GT500) wouldnt the ECU automatically retard timing if it detected knock? In this case from a lack of methanol providing sufficient octane boost?

Not arguing, just posing a hypothetical question.

sleek98

Established Member
It can only pull a degree maybe 2 if I remember correctly. If you set up the tune for 23-24 on meth but the pump fails it can only pull it back to say 21-22 and your on 91 where 18 is the normal your looking for a tow home and a new block.

KEVINS

Established Member
I prefer Alky Control and have run it on several cars. My current build is a TT 4.6 2V and the car's made 720hp on 91oct/100% meth.

People against meth injection always point out the "what if's" to prove their point but "what if's" are games that can be played with any part of the motor, trans, tires, etc. The nice thing about today's technology is that solutions to some of these "what if's" do exist.

My two safety systems consist of a Lean Protection Module (shuts the engine down if AF's goes lean www.mdracingkc.com/Lean_Protection.html) and a Safe Guard knock detector system (pulls timing if it senses detonation www.jandssafeguard.com).

Car's can make a bunch of power with meth injection but during the tuning stage things can get tuned incorrectly so it's good to have some safety built into the system.

The dyno operator has the knock gauge next to his eye when doing a pull and if one LED lights up then he's out of the throttle.

ks

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Lexus, just throwing this out there...

Why not consider a NOS setup just for the track, and times you might be rolling on the Freeway? Seems like you could get the power boost you are seeking (along with cooler IATs), with better results than the meth set up. I mean, how often do you really need the extra power? Having a bottle might be another solution.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I prefer Alky Control and have run it on several cars. My current build is a TT 4.6 2V and the car's made 720hp on 91oct/100% meth.

People against meth injection always point out the "what if's" to prove their point but "what if's" are games that can be played with any part of the motor, trans, tires, etc. The nice thing about today's technology is that solutions to some of these "what if's" do exist.

My two safety systems consist of a Lean Protection Module (shuts the engine down if AF's goes lean www.mdracingkc.com/Lean_Protection.html) and a Safe Guard knock detector system (pulls timing if it senses detonation www.jandssafeguard.com).

Car's can make a bunch of power with meth injection but during the tuning stage things can get tuned incorrectly so it's good to have some safety built into the system.

The dyno operator has the knock gauge next to his eye when doing a pull and if one LED lights up then he's out of the throttle.

ks

No what ifs with race gas. You know what's going into the motor and it's much more forgiving than a pump gas mix.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I always read, like Sid said"gotta spray it post intercooler" but there's no good way to. I have a spray bar kit integrated into my lower intake for nitrous and fuel. Wonder if it's possible to put in a spray bar for a post blower meth injection??

Willie

Established Member
Willie, Do you have pix of your nozzles post intercooler?

Yes I do. And for the first time ever, I will post it online. I took this pic in August, 2009 and have been running this setup ever since. Let me just say that with my 250-psig pump, the result is a massive plume of methanol.. Also, I use a fifth nozzle pre-blower.
Lower Intake Manifold Cover with Meth Plumbing 02a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread