Guitarists of SVTP: New pedal board setup - Step in

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Just finished putting this together. Sounds incredible. Been running digital boards like the BOSSGT100 for the last 10 years and wanted to go back to this. Using a Fender Strat American Standard Aged Cherry Burst with Seymour Duncan Pearly Gate pick ups.

Looking for a good small tube fender amp.

What do you think?

Attachments

• 20220613_150447.jpg
    20220613_150447.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220613_150429.jpg
    20220613_150429.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 75

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Jesus. Never seen the bottom of one of those, that's pretty impressive.

Balt21

Established Member
That looks awesome! You did a great job on the wiring. I just have a really simple softshell pedalboard/case with a few pedals, but would like to get to something like you have there.

I was like you and used to use the digital stuff. I had, well still have but don't use it too often, a TC Electronics G Major rack mounted effects unit and a Berhringer Midi pedalboard to control it. I got tired of messing with it and just started plugging the guitar straight into the amp with no effects for quite a few years. I've recently started by single pedals like you and getting back into effects slowly.

I use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and love it. I've had it since probably 2004ish and it has been rock solid. I think I have replaced the tubes in it once. The Blues Junior and Bassbreaker are also supposed to be really good.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
I used to build stuff for touring rock and roll. Your wiring gets a 3 out of 10.
What? Maybe you misunderstood. I'm not on tour and just enjoyed putting it together, not trying to compete with anyone. Would be interested to see some of your work though, if you really did what you say you did. You know how SVTP is, everyone trying to one up.

Attachments

• 2d05hi.jpg
    2d05hi.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 26

_Satch_

Established Member
After seeing the bottom side of your board, I would be ashamed to show any of my setup. VERY NICE WIRING JOB!!! I hardly play at all through my pedal board anymore. I bought a Marshall Code 100 a couple years back, and mostly play through this because I can Bluetooth backing tracks through it easily.
-Satch

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Post up, or shut up.
What? Maybe you misunderstood. I'm not on tour and just enjoyed putting it together, not trying to compete with anyone. Would be interested to see some of your work though, if you really did what you say you did. You know how SVTP is, everyone trying to one up.
I get it and I'm sorry I was so harsh. But, this is a space I worked in as a custom manufacturer for ten years back in the 1980's. R&R tours, live to TV broadcasts, etc. If you're over about 50 on this forum, you've probably seen my stuff in action.

The only thing you didn't do in your beautiful wiring layout was wire lengths. In the real world of live-to-audience, live-to-TV, etc, when it's 20 minutes to show time and a connector is giving you trouble, you don't have time to undo the wiring harness and install a new wire. The internal wires have to be long enough - all of them - that you can cut any connector clean off at the strain relief and install a new connector and still have enough slack in the wire that the new connector will plug in without strain or tension.

You're almost there. Doing this isn't hard, but it's not obvious either. You have to route each wire past its connection point by maybe 3 or 4 inches and then double back to the actual termination. Lock it down with tie-wraps and you're done. Something goes wrong - a hum from a loose connection, for instance - five minutes with a fresh connector, a pair of diagonal cutters, a razor blade and a soldering iron and all's well.

For your purposes it's probably fine. But when minutes are really, really expensive, it's a different world.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I get it and I'm sorry I was so harsh. But, this is a space I worked in as a custom manufacturer for ten years back in the 1980's. R&R tours, live to TV broadcasts, etc. If you're over about 50 on this forum, you've probably seen my stuff in action.

The only thing you didn't do in your beautiful wiring layout was wire lengths. In the real world of live-to-audience, live-to-TV, etc, when it's 20 minutes to show time and a connector is giving you trouble, you don't have time to undo the wiring harness and install a new wire. The internal wires have to be long enough - all of them - that you can cut any connector clean off at the strain relief and install a new connector and still have enough slack in the wire that the new connector will plug in without strain or tension.

You're almost there. Doing this isn't hard, but it's not obvious either. You have to route each wire past its connection point by maybe 3 or 4 inches and then double back to the actual termination. Lock it down with tie-wraps and you're done. Something goes wrong - a hum from a loose connection, for instance - five minutes with a fresh connector, a pair of diagonal cutters, a razor blade and a soldering iron and all's well.

For your purposes it's probably fine. But when minutes are really, really expensive, it's a different world.

Oh, so you did this 50 years ago.

Jesus. You probably make $800k a year, have 13 super model wives and can bench 675lbs, in each hand. Shut up.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
Any bands we might have heard of?
No idea. We built for the tour contractors, not the performers. It wasn't just bands either, we did live theater and television. One of our customers wanted me back stage at the Academy Awards one year, but I was too busy and had to send someone else.

In any case, this is way off topic. The OP is justifiably proud of his handiwork - it's elegant and beautifully done. My critique is solely about whether it could be fixed in a hurry.

VegasMichael

Established Member
No idea. We built for the tour contractors, not the performers. It wasn't just bands either, we did live theater and television. One of our customers wanted me back stage at the Academy Awards one year, but I was too busy and had to send someone else.

In any case, this is way off topic. The OP is justifiably proud of his handiwork - it's elegant and beautifully done. My critique is solely about whether it could be fixed in a hurry.
Gotcha. I wasn't questioning your experience/resume, was just curious about the bands.

Users who are viewing this thread