Guage Question

GA Terminator

Established Member
Since I am a little challenged on lighting and gauge installs, maybe you guys can help me. I have the speedhut SVT gauges, two on an SOS pillar pod and two on a dual gauge bezel setup. I just noticed, and I should have seen this before, I cannot dim or raise the brightness of my speedhut gauges when using the headlight switch. I can dim and raise the brightness of my stock gauge cluster but not the speedhut gauges. Does anyone have an idea as to what was not hooked up correctly?? Thanks for helping the challenged

Mystic03

Established Member
Since I am a little challenged on lighting and gauge installs, maybe you guys can help me. I have the speedhut SVT gauges, two on an SOS pillar pod and two on a dual gauge bezel setup. I just noticed, and I should have seen this before, I cannot dim or raise the brightness of my speedhut gauges when using the headlight switch. I can dim and raise the brightness of my stock gauge cluster but not the speedhut gauges. Does anyone have an idea as to what was not hooked up correctly?? Thanks for helping the challenged

i think you need to buy sort of like an adapter module...i remember reading about that a while ago on the forums try the serch button

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
All you have to do is run the wire that controls the speedhut lights to your factory dimmer. To find the wire, remove the gauge bezel to gain access to the back of the headlight knob. use a test light and turn the knob to dim and brighten your factory gauges. When the test light goes dim and bright with the turn of the knob you know you have the correct wire. "T" the speedhut gauges into the correct wire and you should be set. This is what I did with my autometer C2's.
Hope this helps

1BDSNK

Established Member
The fuse box located in the drivers side foot well, tap fuse position #37 for cluster dimmer voltage for gauge lights. You'll need a mini add a circuit to make the connection.

This will allow you to dim your SpeedHut gauges along with the instrument cluster. However, they won't dim at the same rate and the Speedhut gauge will be brighter. As Mystic03 indicated you'll need to upgrade the inverter module, which is available from Speedhut. The upgraded inverter has another brightness adjustment so you can set the Speedhut gauge to match the brightness of the instrument cluster.

Try it first without the upgraded inverted and see if you can live with it.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
The fuse box located in the drivers side foot well, tap fuse position #37 for cluster dimmer voltage for gauge lights. You'll need a mini add a circuit to make the connection.

This will allow you to dim your SpeedHut gauges along with the instrument cluster. However, they won't dim at the same rate and the Speedhut gauge will be brighter. As Mystic03 indicated you'll need to upgrade the inverter module, which is available from Speedhut. The upgraded inverter has another brightness adjustment so you can set the Speedhut gauge to match the brightness of the instrument cluster.

Try it first without the upgraded inverted and see if you can live with it.

I used an in-line 100 ohm sweep potentiometer to adjust the Autometer lighting circuit(auto tapped to the factory gauge lighting circuit) to match the brightness of the factory gauges. Now with my aftermarket gauges stepped down a tad, when I sweep the factory ones they both stay pretty close.:beer:

1BDSNK

Established Member
I used an in-line 100 ohm sweep potentiometer to adjust the Autometer lighting circuit(auto tapped to the factory gauge lighting circuit) to match the brightness of the factory gauges. Now with my aftermarket gauges stepped down a tad, when I sweep the factory ones they both stay pretty close.:beer:

Now there's a good idea!! At least someone is thinking.

Sure, since the backlights don't draw all that much current, you can get away with a small 100 ohm potentiometer and dial in the brightness you want.

Here's another idea, once set, measure the actual resistance with a Volt-Ohm meter and you could replace the potentiometer with a fixed value resistor. This way you can cover the resistor with heat shrink tubing and wrap it up in the bundle wires.

Good suggestion

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Now there's a good idea!! At least someone is thinking.

Sure, since the backlights don't draw all that much current, you can get away with a small 100 ohm potentiometer and dial in the brightness you want.

Here's another idea, once set, measure the actual resistance with a Volt-Ohm meter and you could replace the potentiometer with a fixed value resistor. This way you can cover the resistor with heat shrink tubing and wrap it up in the bundle wires.

Good suggestion

I can't take credit for thinking of the solution, I just can't remember who posted it up. It was several years ago.

If it turns out you need more dimming, you can put a fixed resister in series with the sweep.

Users who are viewing this thread