GTR vs. ST Motorsports vs. RET

32VALVR

Mach On!
Established Member
These are all great shops but, not engine builders are they? They also do not do machine work in-house do they? I know that stuff is out of the normal bolt on department and am not trying to put anyone down, but who builds Ford modulars engines still and is well recognized in machining?

While I'm not sure about the machining, Eddie Rios at Addiction Motorsports will design and personally assemble whatever you desire. I know people who have run his Modular strokers for years.

04yfzkid

Established Member
These are all great shops but, not engine builders are they? They also do not do machine work in-house do they? I know that stuff is out of the normal bolt on department and am not trying to put anyone down, but who builds Ford modulars engines still and is well recognized in machining?

I've had good luck with MMR parts but once machine shop was not happy with their assembly. I choose total performance out of Santee to do my maching. They did awesome work and Greg spent hours with me on the phone. He consulted me with what parts to buy, exactly how they would effect my build, and how everything works. At one point he called me to suggest getting my heads looked at me. Even suggested I don't make the drive down to him but rather take them somewhere local because they probably needed to be looked at. That sold me to spend the extra gas money to drive down there. With that being said the shop is slammed and you're not going to get a 1 week turn around on a motor build. They did the machining on the DGK / speed society 69 camaro if it's any reference.

I've also heard really good things about QMP in the northern so-cal area. They did a friends motor for his nitrous BBC chevelle. When a friend went by he saw quite a few modular motors there they were doing sleeves / builds on. Both of them had nothing but great things to say about them also.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I vote GTR. They are the only shop that touches my 04 Cobra. Gonzalo, Ricardo and all the guys there are very nice and honest. I have been talking to Gonzalo over the phone for the past 7 years to ask all kinds of annoying questions that you can imagine way before i even had my cobra and he never brushed me off or rushed me off the phone. Now that i have my terminator they are the only shop i trust. You can call them or email anytime and they have great service.

Now i cant speak for the others since i have never been to them but GtR is the kind of shop where if you go to them you are glad you did and you know right away that you made the right choice without even going to any other shop.

-Herman

Also only been to GTR but i second all of the above!

04yfzkid

Established Member
Anyone have success with their engine being,built by mmr

Yeah probably had 5k miles on a street car at 840whp. When it was taken apart the machine shop (one that I don't trust for other reasons) said a piston ring was in upside down and it required a 20 over bore. I was 1800 miles away and couldn't verify anything for myself nor did I know anything about motors at the time.

[video]https://youtu.be/iZxOBCxnkpg[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread