GTR vs. ST Motorsports vs. RET

dirtychamba

Django
Established Member
Basically what are your opinions on them?

I'm getting a 2.5 pulley, handheld, tune, and C&L intake (from VMP or Lund, havent decided) on my stock 2011 gt500. I pretty much need to get it installed and have a before and after dyno pull and possibly a tuner to tweak if the tune needs tweeking..

I have friends who use all 3 of these shops and have nothing but good things to say... I want something where the customer service and work is great and I can take my car back when the crazier mods begin... Thanks.

wallie40

Established Member
LOL no it wont.

I vote for ST. Adam has built both of my cars. I couldnt be happier. IMHO you wont find a better shop.

-Paul

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Gonna be honest here. You know i work at GTR so you know where my vote is going all day especially since we are always doing tech articles with 5.0 Magazine. We know there are going to be other members with their own opinions about all 3 shops good and bad.

But i will say this, whether you choose GTR, ST, or RET your car should be in good hands. If you want to do the leg work i suggest you call all 3 shops, feel everybody out, see who has the best reasonable prices, who has time, and who takes the time to talk with you on your build and what your trying to accomplish. Customer Service is important as well that is why im telling to to feel everybody out. See who you feel more comfortable with:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Chamba, you are getting a JLT Cai, right?? Also add an idler to the new pulley. My 2 cents:

RET: Full service shop, in-ground Dyno-Jet. The owner Greg is the Tuner and very well respected in the Ford world.
GTR: Full service shop, well respected. In house Dyno-jet. They do not have an in house Tuner, right???
ST: Heard good things, full service shop... Dyno, and Adam is the Tuner

Call all 3, where are you located compared to the shops??? Good luck

Last edited:

dirtychamba

Django
Established Member
Chamba, you are getting a JLT Cai, right?? Also add an idler to the new pulley. My 2 cents:

RET: Full service shop, in-ground Dyno-Jet. The owner Greg is the Tuner and very well respected in the Ford world.
GTR: Full service shop, well respected. In house Dyno-jet. They do not have an in house Tuner, right???

Jlt carbon fine was my preference but my friend sold me his used C&L for 200... Plus the result with a tune are almost identical with Jlt/C&L.

Yea the kit comes with the iddler and plugs as well... Forgot to mention. Lol

rattlesnake3:16

BOOTS TO ASSES
Established Member

Wrong ricardo is the in house tuner and they also have bob kurgen one of the best that u have tune your car eddie can explain better than I can

BOOTS TO ASSES
Established Member
Gonna be honest here. You know i work at GTR so you know where my vote is going all day especially since we are always doing tech articles with 5.0 Magazine. We know there are going to be other members with their own opinions about all 3 shops good and bad.

But i will say this, whether you choose GTR, ST, or RET your car should be in good hands. If you want to do the leg work i suggest you call all 3 shops, feel everybody out, see who has the best reasonable prices, who has time, and who takes the time to talk with you on your build and what your trying to accomplish. Customer Service is important as well that is why im telling to to feel everybody out. See who you feel more comfortable with:thumbsup:

Well said

wallie40

Established Member
I agree that no matter where you go, you are going to be in good hands. I have never had to opportunity to work with GTR.

The other two shops i have, and i strongly recommend ST Motorsports. It is all based on who makes you feel more comfy. After all it is your hard earned money.

-Paul

arodsvt

C Quema
Established Member
RET has taken care of my termi and Greg is hella of a tuner and there staff has great customer service. My .2!

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Just call all 3 and find out for yourself because asking our opinions wont matter since its your car. I've dealt with RET and GTR both are GREAT shops imo. Just do your research.:beer:

BTW where in LA are you?

iggster

Established Member

Wow very well said. :beer:

I dunno much about gtr but when I didnt tune, I talked with a couple of shops, and my findings is Greg over at RET is very good at responding to emails, he still responds to emails even at 10pm. I "interviewed" a bunch of tuners, some I was amazed how little the actually knew, some gave good answers but I didnt like the way they tuned. Others where quiet, dunno why either didnt know the answers or didnt think I was worth their time. I ended up going to steve, VERY cool guy and very knowledgeable.

As far as tuners personally the best tuner around in so cal is Steve over at power train dynamics. (this is coming from me the competition lol) Only bad thing is he is not a set price and trust me it gets expensive with him, I recommended one of my customers to him cause he didn't want to switch to sct and it ended up costing him more $$ then if he would of switched to sct and had it tuned by me.

I save money now though by doing it myself :D

Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Well the OP hasn't been back yet to check on his thread, but, I never had the chance to have Adam from ST work on my car. I spent a lot of money at RET and have had dealings with GTR. Both places are stand-up and I have had no issues with either.

Greg @ RET is very proactive in responding to emails even after normal operating hours, but, that MAY be only after you have established a good repour with him.

DO NOT take your car to get worked on by a guy with the name Shaun Ellis, under any circumstances. Not sure where that D-Bag is now adays.

:poke: Only issue I have had with GTR is they don't judge cars properly when they host a car show and dyno day.:poke:

Last edited:

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
GTR is the only one of the three i have been to. Great place. HONESTY and good prices at their finest. They are earned my business for the forseeable future even though its quite a haul from Temecula.

BOOTS TO ASSES
Established Member
Well the OP hasn't been back yet to check on his thread, but, I never had the chance to have Adam from ST work on my car. I spent a lot of money at RET and have had dealings with GTR. Both places are stand-up and I have had no issues with either.

Greg @ RET is very proactive in responding to emails even after normal operating hours, but, that MAY be only after you have established a good repour with him.

DO NOT take your car to get worked on by a guy with the name Shaun Ellis, under any circumstances. Not sure where that D-Bag is now adays.

:poke: Only issue I have had with GTR is they don't judge cars properly when they host a car show and dyno day.:poke:

I found out why you lost . . . . . .

dirtychamba

Django
Established Member

I'm here
just reading responses.

HMMM so many mixed opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread