GTR modding and Dyno!!

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
The shop's grand opening is out of the way now and we have been getting right down to business at Akuma Motorsports! We've had a bunch of interesting projects but I think this one might take the cake thus far.

The Car:
2009 Nissan GTR R35

Modifications:
Akuma Motorsports Stage 2 Package
-Wastegate Actuators
-Catless Downpipes
-Akuma Custom Y-pipe
-Samco silicone kit
-HKS EVC
-Cobb Accessport Tune by John @ Akuma

The Numbers:
The car ended up with 471hp/ 462 tq on our Mustang Dyno at ONLY 17PSI!!!

Our Take:
The car is simply amazing. In stock form, it has mindblowing performance that can only be appreciated by being inside one of these cars. An absolute masterpiece on many levels, it makes almost every other car I've been in feel obsolete (and that is saying something!). ZERO lag, break-neck power, and comfort to top it off.

The Chart:
We have the GTR's finished graph overlaying a built motor, 35r sti with meth. This should give some perception into what this car is capable of. Take a look and we'll be happy to discuss!!

Evan @ Akuma Motorsports

IMG-1.gif

GTRs004.gif

GTRs007.jpg

GTRs022.jpg

GTRs025.jpg

GTRs027.jpg

GTRs028.jpg

GTRs043.gif

GTRs048.gif

GTRs049.gif

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
Vids guys!!

First off is the BASELINE RUN. Cobb off the shelf map, aftermarket y-pipe:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBo4rkuaXqU"]YouTube - Baseline GTR run[/ame]

This one we just swapped out the customer's y-pipe for AKUMA's custom. Noticable gains were noted merely from this switch

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DVxSRpgMb8"]YouTube - Akuma Y-pipe R35[/ame]

Evan @ Akuma

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
sick! i like them cars, but the gtr nuthuggers/nutswingers and the owners make me hate the car kinda like most vette owners lol,that and the isane high $ price to pay for one of these heavy 4,000lb bad boys as well rather buy a shelby and slap a kb on it and destroy the gtr for less :) and do with it the v8 sound and roots sound going by it:) sick car though!

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
Enjoy!!

Keep in mind guys, this is a Mustang dyno. Estimate just under 600AWHP on a dynojet from this car with very minimal modification. The sti graph that is overlayed has put down 500whp on a dynojet and is fast as ****!!! Just shows what an absolute monster this GTR is.

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
sick! i like them cars, but the gtr nuthuggers/nutswingers and the owners make me hate the car kinda like most vette owners lol,that and the isane high $ price to pay for one of these heavy 4,000lb bad boys as well rather buy a shelby and slap a kb on it and destroy the gt for less :) and do with it the v8 sound and roots sound going by it:) sick car though!

Believe me, I used to think like that... until you actually drive one. I have driven countless performance cars, drag cars, turbo cars, mustangs, imports, exotics, etc. This is a completely different animal. It's impossible to describe, but believe me... these things are serious PERIOD:rockon:

Pete's 03

Where's my eating helmet?
Established Member
Believe me, I used to think like that... until you actually drive one. I have driven countless performance cars, drag cars, turbo cars, mustangs, imports, exotics, etc. This is a completely different animal. It's impossible to describe, but believe me... these things are serious PERIOD:rockon:

Looks like you guys do nice work!! **Flame Suit On** I have to completely agree with you as far as what the GTR does on the street. After working on cars 5 and 6 days a week for 12 years, many of them high end sports cars and exotics plus owning several fast and capable cars (current Cobra, TT Supra, built 5.0 etc) I will say that I have a pretty good feeling for a car that can hold it's own. I drove my buddies 08 Z06 daily for 3 weeks so I know exactly what they can do too. I spent about 45 minutes in a GTR, and by far the most amazing thing was the sheer amount of grip and instant "go" that it has for being a 6 cylinder nearly 2 ton car. The Supra that I had was as fast but it didn't make tons of power till about 3800 RPM, where as the GTR pulls like crazy from just above 2000 RPM. It seemed impossible to unsettle the car in any way, and I was heading into corners WAY faster than I would ever attempt in my Cobra. Mash the gas at any time in a corner and the thing just takes off in whatever direction the front wheel are pointed. I couldn't find any performance aspect that wasn't completely insane, plus all the electronics, the comfort and other features makes my Cobra feel like it was designed 40 years ago. Sure there are cars that are faster in a straight line, but these cars are the complete package and worth the money IMO. I would be willing to bet that if any GTR hater were to actually get a good amount of seat time in one that most of them would quit with the "I'd take an 03 Cobra, put a KB on it and destroy the GTR". They are completely different animals, and there is no other car out there that can even come close to what the GTR can with a similar power to weight ratio. As far as people hating on it because the price is similar to that of the Z06, I'll say it again, get in one, drive it, use all the features, electronics, compare build quality, comfort, engineering, every performance aspect with exception high speed straight line acceration and get back to me and let me know if you still think it's overpriced, thats why I think it's funny when people say that paying 70K for a Nissan is stupid, but it's fine if it's a Chevy. I personally think paying 70K for a Vette is stupid, and paying over 100K for the ZR1 is even worse. Sure I have yet to drive a ZR1, but after logging about 1000 miles in the Z06 I am confident with my opinion that no Vette is worth over 100K, no matter how fast it can accelerate. I'll stop now before I start something bad in someones elses good thread. **Flame Suit Off**

Last edited:

Aerosi665

Daily Driver
Established Member
Less than 500hp at 17psi? Those are not very good numbers. There are 3.8L v6 mustang guys pushing more than that with basic aftermarket turbo kits. Same displacement, same number of cylinders and a much worse base design for the motor.

Last edited:

jleews6

Established Member
Less than 500hp at 17psi? Those are not very good numbers. There are 3.8L v6 mustang guys pushing more than that with basic aftermarket turbo kits. Same displacement, same number of cylinders and a much worse base design for the motor.

Dont forget that this was on a MD and its AWD. Im sure on a Dynojet with 2WD this car would do about 550.
I said from the begining that these cars were going to be bad ass. I just cant get past the looks of them.:shrug:

Duran

Matador
Established Member
Love the GTR. Good gains and I am not surprised about its potential of being a bad mofo.

But man, the price and the stories I have heard about how Nissan does not warranty anything if you turn off traction control etc etc etc. Makes me not want to get one unless I am swimming in money.

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Just watch out for that #6 cylinder. Here are a couple pics I took today. Forgive the crappy cell phone pictures.
The paper weight of an engine.
GTR_engine.jpg

Nice burnt piston and hole in the plasma coating.
GTR_engine2.jpg

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
What was the cause?? These cars are very well built so I'm sure there was a good cause for that failure

bit

Happiness is being blown!
Established Member
Nissan placed the ACT sensor before the turbos, so there is no way to monitor or compensate for the heat of increased boost. Great move on Nissan's part. That car was spinning the stock turbos way to hard and the hot air got the best of the cast pistons. It also appears that the hot spot may have started in a casting flaw that is in two of the other pistons.

l3d0hna3d

Established Member
Cast pistons?

Not to impressed, 17psi on a pushrod buick 3.8 would embarrassed that thing

kissmyAZZure

THE BLUE BEAST
Established Member
Badass build! Does the customer have any other plans for the car?

Yeah he is enjoying the car thoroughly and has already begun asking for more parts. As the car sits it's an easy 10 second ride. We'll be doing injectors, more boost, an axle back, etc very soon!

Cast pistons?

Not to impressed, 17psi on a pushrod buick 3.8 would embarrassed that thing

I wouldn't be so sure... Maybe numbers wise but performance:shrug:

61mmstang94

Established Member
Yeah he is enjoying the car thoroughly and has already begun asking for more parts. As the car sits it's an easy 10 second ride. We'll be doing injectors, more boost, an axle back, etc very soon!

I wouldn't be so sure... Maybe numbers wise but performance:shrug:

I'd like to see some performance numbers down the quarter mile. I know that it'll handle just fine around an open course, but when he gets to a quarter mile track be sure to post his results. Sounds like a badass car and you have to figure on here there will be haters complaining that the d yno numbers don't satisfy them lol. Good job on the car and the y-pipe looks very nice that you made up for it. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread