GTO/Cobra

matai70

Established Member
First of all I would like to say I love this site. Now I bought an 06 gto in january and have recently noticed that I am falling in love with the cobras. E ven thought I have always liked them just at the time I thought the price for them was high 30's. Not to sure on what to do sell the GTO and get a 03/04 Cobra or keep the GTO. Ive always have been a mustang guy and that is why I feel as if I should sell the GTO. But I am confused.
Just had to let it out its been bugging me for a couple of weeks already.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
you only live once, and if you think you'll really regret not owning a cobra then do it!

sedanman

Established Member
I almost bought a GTO for a daily driver (opted instead for a more sensible for the indiana weather Jeep grand Cherokee). The GTO's are nice cars but for the driving experience the cobra is the easy winner. Several of my friends have nice GTO's ranging from stock to 590 whp and none can match the feel of my cobra.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The GTO is a bit better quality wise, but for fun factor and performance the Cobra is the sure winner. If I had to choose between the two it would definitely be the Cobra, even though the GTO has a bit more rear seat room. As you probably know, with vary simple mods (intake, exhaust, pulley, tune) you can easily make 450-470rwhp. And then you find it hard not to take it out for any little excuse. It's that much of a blast.

The bottom line, though, is that you'll have to do the numbers and see if it makes sense for you to do it. You do have an '06 so you'll likely be trading for a Cobra with more miles. And you'll have to be sure that the Cobra you buy has been properly maintained and not driven into the ground as some are. Best of luck with your decision.

thrillious

Established Member
Keep the GTO and get a procharger, Those things scream with a procharger. I was going to get a GTO until I found a deal I couldnt pass on a Cobra.

-Kevin

mrose75

Established Member
Decisions, decisions.... give the GTO a chance. You've had it 2 months and already wanna trade? Unless you just got it like that. If you're a Mustang guy you should've checked the Cobras first anyhow. Welcome to the site.

Buds03Cobra

Established Member
Just dont race a cobra or you will realy want to traid..
JK..
The GTO's are cool, It all depends on what you want. Have you driven a Cobra yet? I have not driven a GTO but a Friend of mine has one and its cool. They are no pigs, and run well.

sedanman

Established Member
thrillious said:
Keep the GTO and get a procharger, Those things scream with a procharger.

A friend of mine has a D1 on her GTO along with a cam and long tubes it made 590 whp but I definately think the bottom end is a time bomb at that point and it has yet to run great at the track (I think there might still be a bug or two to work out).

I will say I like the GTO's alot hence why I almost bought one for a daily, however when driven hard they hop worse then a cobra and just lack the power.

Doc GTO

Local 10 sec Caddie
Established Member
sedanman said:
A friend of mine has a D1 on her GTO along with a cam and long tubes it made 590 whp but I definately think the bottom end is a time bomb at that point and it has yet to run great at the track (I think there might still be a bug or two to work out).

I will say I like the GTO's alot hence why I almost bought one for a daily, however when driven hard they hop worse then a cobra and just lack the power.

I ran 10s with 585rwhp on my 04 LS1 GTO. I've been making a lot of power for a while and I have 60K on the clock. No problems at all.

painintheass

Established Member
Yah, I was in the same boat to decide between the two cars. Here is my thought for you. I almost bought a yellow jacket M6 GTO. I really liked the seats in the GTO (As long as it wasn't the red leather) and I did not care for the trunk space or for the odd stereo knob placement. Which is a euro touch to it, which isn't a big deal, just odd. Also, I did not care for the motor powered seats to access the rear seating, it seemed to take forever for the front seats to move. I had tested both 05 and 06 years of the GTO, the 05 has slower seat motors versus the 06 in seat moving comparison. I also found the engine bay of the 06 GTO had more space for someone who likes to do there own work. Also, I believe the SLP correct me if I'm wrong is pretty sweet looking to me on the 06 GTO. I ended up buying the 03 Cobra in the end, because of the power and potential with mods. After I test drove the Cobra, it was a totally different animal versus the GTO which had great power but it seemed smoother, like a luxury car. If I had the choice, I would have both. Both cars have their different perks. I would say give the LS2 a try. Add exhaust, tune, C/I, and if you have the money a (correct me on the name if I'm wrong) Magnuson Superhcarger. I've also heard at the time when I was really interested in a 06 GTO upgrades, is having different cams and heads from the LS6 packages.

While the down side to me of the Cobra is that the interior is the same as my former 1995 Cobra, except the seats with a slightly different change and the stereo that holds the 6 discs or the sunglass or whatever people use it for, roof thingy. Also, to me the build quality overall is medicore versus the GTO. But, it is hands down performance or as I call it shock and AwH!! of the Cobra
that won my heart :). I couldn't resist.

Anyways, I hope this helps. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

thrillious

Established Member
Doc GTO said:
I ran 10s with 585rwhp on my 04 LS1 GTO. I've been making a lot of power for a while and I have 60K on the clock. No problems at all.

Nice,

Auto and Manual?

Gto's seem to hold boost rather well.

-Kevin

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
03/04 Cobra are a lot of fun... but getting out of yours and not losing might be a factor, if you can flip and not lose much money, then go for it.... you only live once.... might as well live it up...

Users who are viewing this thread