GTO Beats out Cobra - or so sez R&T

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
I'm jealous that it comes in Purple with Dark Purple Leather interior, and purple guages. Damn.

ModsAway

Established Member
These magazines simply market what is "new". When the cobras came out they were the baddest thing ever even in the magazines (and we all know they are still among the best).

Ever since the cobras release everything has been compared to it and "allegedly" beating the cobras in some cases even though the numbers don't add up for those of us truly interested in cars.

This is pure and simple a poor attempt at marketing by buying the magazines and paying them to print what you want them to print.

The GTO is a big dissapointment, I was very excited when I heard that Pontiac was releasing a new "muscle car". But all this GTO is is a Pontiac Grand Prix on Steroids.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Well said ModsAway

We are on they way out as far as praise from mags and tv shows.
Oh well it was fun why it lasted!
better to keep are cars a secret that way when you just blow somebody off the road the can't talk smack about a car they no nothing about.

JP

NightEnforcer

Established Member
They all smoke dope at R&T. As well as at Car and Driver. The Cobra is the best high performance car for the $$$$$$ today. You can easily go from mild to wild, and it can be done as your budget allows. I have been in the new GTO. It is OK but no where near a stock Cobra.

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
I was a passenger in a 04 GTO when my brother was taking a test ride in one. I will say about the only couple of things I liked about the car was that there is way more room in the front seats ( both driver and passenger) and the seats are comfortable. Probably the best of any GM vehicle. But the car (6 speed) certainly doesn't have the pull in any rpm range like the 03-04 Cobra does. There is no comparison. The Mach 1 would be more comparable to the GTO.

99BOSS

Established Member
It was funny how the GM guys made fun of the Cobra people over the last couple years with us dealing with a IRS suspension and now guess what....the GTO has it too!!! Also, when the Terminators came out, they balked at Ford for putting a gas guzzler tax on the 03s, now the GTOs have the $1000 tax on their window stickers as well. So who gets the last laugh now. At least with the Terminators extra fuel consumption, it turns it in to a lot more power and a much faster car.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
As the past owner of a 66 tri power GTO and a 68 vert, I just can't see that psuedo Grand Am as a "GTO"....... But, on the other hand, the 03/04 Cobras and even the Machs, totally carry on the tradition of the original high performance Mustangs. Styling, performance, value......

Just don't understand some of the philosphies behind some of these auto magazine articles...........First, it was the Subaru, now it's the fake Grand Am...........

ghostrydyr

Established Member
I've owned enought LS1 Fbods to have a lot of respect for them but the GTO (unless heavily modded) will not hang in the straight line with the Terminator. I've seen enough GTO's @ the track and I am not impress. They do have VERY nice interiors though. Oh yeah those mags can suck my......

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
The GTO is equivalent to ford deciding to modify a contour into a v8.

don't care if they modify these gto's and put out 1000 hp to the rear wheels; its still a grand am in my book.

stang007

Established Member
NOW IS IT ME OR DOES THE GTO LOOK LIKE A CAVALIER WITH A GRAND PRIX FRONT END?

YEAH GOOD CHOICE ROAD AND TRACK!:loser:

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Just got done reading the R&T article (still don't know why I subscibed to this rag :??: ). They ran a 13.4 @ 107 with the Cobra! :nonono: I'm sorry, but who drives THAT bad? I'm pretty sure I could run a 13.5 or so here at 5800 ft. of elevation in my Cobra. Even though they're not powershifting, I find it hard to believe that they were able to run a FULL SECOND slower than MM&FF. What was the 60', 3.3? :rollseyes Hell, even Motor Trend was able to get an '03 coupe in the 12.8s. I think I'm going to go write a letter...

WHPSVT03

Horsepower Enthusiast
Established Member
I just saw a show on TV the other day, I think it was Car & Driver. They did a segment on the GTO and their conclusion was that the GTO lacked in a lot of categories. They said that this car had been built in Australia for a number of years and then GM decided to slap GTO badges on this former Aussie coupe and beef up the motor and call it done. If you ask me, nice idea but, it looks like a overpriced Grand Am. I think the powerplant is there but that car should've been more well thought out before hittin' the street! It's no Cobra Terminator or even close! Terminators ROCK!!!:rockon: :rockon:

Calebp

Established Member
Originally posted by svt46sc
Just got done reading the R&T article (still don't know why I subscibed to this rag :??: ). They ran a 13.4 @ 107 with the Cobra! :nonono: I'm sorry, but who drives THAT bad?

The same guy who is paid to drive to drive the cobra like a grandmother.

I've never seen a good review.... the best review I've ever seen for the '03 cobra went something like this:

The 2003 Cobra is an improvement over the 2001 model. Enough torque for the whole family! Rest assured you won't have to worry about those z28s anymore. From the dual exhaust tips comes a nice little tune for all of our ears to enjoy, but in the end, this car ends up lacking. Be prepared to visit the chiropractor after taking a ride in this car, it's interior is extraordinarily uncomfortable. Also, that clutch sure gives your leg a workout, I'm on crutches now. This car, although fast, isn't that much of a performer compared to it's little brother, the Mustang GT. With consistent 14.4 1/4 times in the GT, why pay $10,000 more when you're only 1 second faster in the quarter mile? Now check out our EXCITING 2 page spread on the Evo!

super-roo

Established Member
05gto1.jpg

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
^^^ thats what they should of made it look like. If you ask me its just to "plain jane my mom would wanna drive it " kinda car. Plus she would definatly drive it after seeing the interior

soniccobra 03

SONIC SLO POKE
Established Member
To compare this car to a REAL gto is like comparing Kathy Bates to Pam Anderson...........enjoy the ride......Gto:burn: cobra.

Last edited:

03CobraBro

Established Member
I sat in one of the GTO's out at the track today. Its nice on the inside, and it deffinatly has a bit smoother shift... but like I said before, I dont care if they offered this new GTO with 500hp and handling on par with an enzo, with a price tag comperable to a current Mustang GT... The thing still looks like crap IMO, and until they make some changes, they deffinatly wont be getting my dough. Sleeper shneeper. :nonono:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Originally posted by super-roo
05gto1.jpg

I am sorry, but that front bumper looks like something out of the Fast and the Furious.

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
I am sorry, but that front bumper looks like something out of the Fast and the Furious.

You have nothing to be sorry about. At first glance I thought it was a Cavalier with a body kit. An ugly body kit. Hell, even that POS looks better than the Judge concept, though. Maybe it's just me, but why does everybody want to turn the GTO into a ricer-wannabe?

Users who are viewing this thread