GT500 vs. GT500: stock 760hp 2020 vs. 750hp Whipple-charged 2011!

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
My oldest son and I had a lot of fun making this video today. I explain the differences between my 2011 with the Ford Racing 750hp 2.9L Whipple kit and my stock 760hp 2020! I then take both cars out for identical spirited runs!

musclefan21

Established Member
Nice work Goose! I can’t believe how much more aggressive the 20 looks. You are a lucky man!

Goose17

Established Member
Did i miss the race?

No race? Dafuq

Did you read the description in my post about me taking both cars out for identical spirited runs...? I did this for two reasons:

1. I wanted to compare with same driver/same day.
2. The other person involved was my son and didn’t want him driving at triple digits.

I wanted to compare/contrast the S197 and S550 GT500s with the same horsepower. Hopefully you see some differences, especially in the later part of the video where I put both cars doing the exact same things back-to-back.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Did you read the description in my post about me taking both cars out for identical spirited runs...? I did this for two reasons:

2. The other person involved was my son and didn’t want him driving at triple digits.

I wanted to compare/contrast the S197 and S550 GT500s with the same horsepower. Hopefully you see some differences, especially in the later part of the video where I put both cars doing the exact same things back-to-back.

Thanks for making the video. It’s a nice video. I think everyone here wanted a race tho. Your video reminded me of the time... a thick big booty hoe said “just the tip”.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Pretty cool thanks for sharing. Loved to have seen the run head to head. I get why you wouldn't want to do that with your son though, God forbid something went south.

Goose17

Established Member
I took the 2020 out on a 19 Mustang cruise and photo shoot most of yesterday. I ran 70-140 against a built 2013 Super Snake and got a pretty easy “W.” I later had 2 runs against an almost 1,000 hp 2014 Super Snake. He pulled away both times, but we were both surprised at how well a stock 760hp Mustang hung with the big bruiser.

I did get the car up to 160, which is a high mark for me in a car. I had previously hit 145ish a couple times in my 2011, which was “sketch,” especially when hitting bumps. The 2020 hit 160 quickly and easily with zero drama. Also, quick tap of the big ass brakes brought the speed back in check rather abruptly. The downforce, magneride and IRS make it a very stable platform at speed. I caught myself surprised quite a bit during the day’s drive when we were cruising and I’d look down to see triple digits. In my 2011, you always know when you are going fast. The speed on the 2020 creeps up and surprises you. The car “does speed with ease.”

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Looks like yoh enjoyed making the video, nice comparison. Question why was the 2011 brakes cooked? Is it the choice of compound you choose to use?

Goose17

Established Member
Looks like yoh enjoyed making the video, nice comparison. Question why was the 2011 brakes cooked? Is it the choice of compound you choose to use?
I’m sure the ceramic pads didn’t help, but I did a few “pulls” with moderate to heavier braking afterwards. I did an initial launch and then got on the brakes a bit hard as I was coming up on a small bridge that has a significant bump... didn’t want to hit that at speed with the SRA car. Not too much later, I did the 0-120 timed run with brakes applied afterwards. Next was the high speed pass with my son filming on the side of the road, which I once again got on the brakes afterwards. I finished with the 100-0 brake test and that’s when there wasn’t much left. You can see how far past the camera the car finally stopped and once stopped, you could smell the brakes.

The ceramic pads do a great job keeping dust off the chrome rims. They work fine for stopping with regular driving. I don’t know how much better the OEM pads would have been once hot.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice, informative video and comments, Goose. Amazing how "easy" the new GT-500 rumbles to 160. I'm not surprised, though. Is this your "new" new GT-500, or the first won you sold/are selling? You're so busy with obtaining cars that I quickly lose focus. LOL.

Goose17

Established Member
Nice, informative video and comments, Goose. Amazing how "easy" the new GT-500 rumbles to 160. I'm not surprised, though. Is this your "new" new GT-500, or the first won you sold/are selling? You're so busy with obtaining cars that I quickly lose focus. LOL.
This is my base handling package 2020 I got in December. It has a buyer if all goes as planned once the shutdown is over. My CFTP car has obviously been delayed with Flat Rock shut down. I have a mid-June build date, but we shall see... Hopefully the MI governor changes course and reopens the state so those still waiting on cars can get them.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I’m sure the ceramic pads didn’t help, but I did a few “pulls” with moderate to heavier braking afterwards. I did an initial launch and then got on the brakes a bit hard as I was coming up on a small bridge that has a significant bump... didn’t want to hit that at speed with the SRA car. Not too much later, I did the 0-120 timed run with brakes applied afterwards. Next was the high speed pass with my son filming on the side of the road, which I once again got on the brakes afterwards. I finished with the 100-0 brake test and that’s when there wasn’t much left. You can see how far past the camera the car finally stopped and once stopped, you could smell the brakes.

The ceramic pads do a great job keeping dust off the chrome rims. They work fine for stopping with regular driving. I don’t know how much better the OEM pads would have been once hot.

Im gonna guess its the ceramic pads that started to fade. They are indeed much better for brake dust but not as good when hot. That 2020 had no issues with brake fade based on the video. Now it is a much much better braking setup but also heavier too.

Goose17

Established Member
Im gonna guess its the ceramic pads that started to fade. They are indeed much better for brake dust but not as good when hot. That 2020 had no issues with brake fade based on the video. Now it is a much much better braking setup but also heavier too.
I’m sure the ceramic pads had something to do with it, but the brake systems on the 2 cars are worlds apart. The front rotors are 2-piece 16.5” disks and they are squeezed by the biggest calipers Brembo has made... they are 6 piston monsters. The rear brakes are even more robust than the front brakes on the 2011. I witness the 2020 first hand get hot-swapped on the road course track in Vegas. The cars were driven full-tilt-boogie all day long. They only came off the track for gas and went right back in when full. There was zero brake fade, which was amazing.

E0-CD7079-2-C76-4-E91-B125-8-CBBE464-A390.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I’m sure the ceramic pads had something to do with it, but the brake systems on the 2 cars are worlds apart. The front rotors are 2-piece 16.5” disks and they are squeezed by the biggest calipers Brembo has made... they are 6 piston monsters. The rear brakes are even more robust than the front brakes on the 2011. I witness the 2020 first hand get hot-swapped on the road course track in Vegas. The cars were driven full-tilt-boogie all day long. They only came off the track for gas and went right back in when full. There was zero brake fade, which was amazing.

View attachment 1637010

Incredible brake system for a Factory mustang. For the time the 2007-2012 brake system was a great upgrade. Adding better rotors and pads helped alot too. Once again nice review of the 2. Also the addition of the 2.9 with added power added to more stress on the factory brake setup on the 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread