GT500 + Stray Cone = Repairs What's your opinion?

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Well, I managed to have an unfortunate encounter with a stray highway cone today. :xpl: I need to have the fascia, lower lights, grille & fuel tank replaced. My question to my esteemed colleagues is: Would you choose the Ford Dealer's body shop or a local high-end (MBZ, BMW, etc.) shop to do the work? Have any of y'all had dealings with Ford's shops? Any quality issues?

Thanks

chuckstang

Established Member
I have been to a Ford dealer twice for paint work/repairs. First time was fantastic, second time, not soo good. I wanted my front bumper painted and instead of taking the bumper off, they just taped off the lights and such and they got overspray all over the rest of the car. If you go to Ford, make sure all parts, bumper, light fixtures, grilles, and so on are removed and fixed/painted separate from the rest of the car
IMO

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
TAHOE GT said:
Well, I managed to have an unfortunate encounter with a stray highway cone today. :xpl: I need to have the fascia, lower lights, grille & fuel tank replaced. My question to my esteemed colleagues is: Would you choose the Ford Dealer's body shop or a local high-end (MBZ, BMW, etc.) shop to do the work? Have any of y'all had dealings with Ford's shops? Any quality issues?

Thanks

it all depends on the dealer. some run great shops in every way. some are two bit clowns that treat the customers like numbers. unless you have a prior trusting relationship with a ford shop go out on your own. plus the dealers will charge as much as a quality private shop anyway. find a private shop that only works on 50k+ cars(or showcars) is my advice.

Last edited:

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Insurance company can't deny whatever shop I take it to. So, I'm thinkin' High-end for sure. I was really looking to see if anyone recommended FORD cause it's their product and should know how to service it.

Thanks for the input

ELITE1

addicted to SVTP
Established Member
TAHOE GT said:

Thanks

Do have pics of the damage, just curious? Sorry to hear about your accident, was this on the freeway? If so, CalTrans is totally resposible for the damage you shouldn't have to pay a dime. A friend of mine hit a pothole on the freeway and they paid for a whole new set of wheels, just a thought. :idea:

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Yeah, I have to get home to my camera to post but I will. The question is, how do I prove that I hit the cone on the freeway? There is no police report and I drug the cone for 6 miles, off the freeway and onto city streets. Also, it wasn't near a construction zone.

chuckstang

Established Member
I have been to a very high end body shop before with a mustang and I was not impressed at all. They could not even match my black paint. The thing is, if you go to Ford you know the paint will match, every one else has their own color of black and so on.
ps-the high end shop told me ford black has alot of brown in it, and that was their excuse as to why my black car looked half brown. It wasn't even close!

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Here are some pics of the exterior damage. I'll be putting it on the lift tomorrow to look underneath.

PICT1449.gif

PICT1450.gif

PICT1451.gif

WILDTHANG

In The Rear View Mirror
Established Member
TripleBlack95 said:
That what I was thinking. Damn man, was that thing filled with concrete? Shit.

He failed to mention how fast he was traveling. I would say about a buck fifty. :D

pegged.jpg

Hey Tahoe, Looks like a great class project, just let your students fix it. :bash:

Last edited:

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Yeah, the class project-thing - I'm thinkin' HELL NO!!

I was doin' 'bout 65mph in commute traffic. Thing is, cones have all of their mass at the base. Guess which end was facing me? The real pisser is, there wasn't a damned thing I could do about it. I pulled to the right and there was the cone. No time for evasive maneuvers. Only time enough to swear.:cuss:

Rodcobra

Established Member
Talk to people and get opinons about the shops in your area,I work in a high-end shop for 5 insurance companys and it does not have to be a Ford shop. Don't be in a hurry,it will make a BIG factor in the way your car is repaired. :coolman:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Rodcobra said:
Talk to people and get opinons about the shops in your area,I work in a high-end shop for 5 insurance companys and it does not have to be a Ford shop. Don't be in a hurry,it will make a BIG factor in the way your car is repaired. :coolman:

Biggest mistake ever. You can't rush a body shop.

TAHOE GT

Established Member
Hicompression said:
Hah! Us? I'm sorry but that just made me laugh...are you a professor?

I was hoping someone would be amused. I do value the input of this community, though.

I teach, but no, I'm not a professor.

TAHOE GT

Established Member
So, here are the pics of the fuel tank.

PICT1454.gif

PICT1455.gif

Crazy!

edit:image added

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread