Gt500 rear brake upgrade - whats out there?!?

RusWolf

Established Member
Do you guys know if baer uses dust shims in their calipers?

Just to let you know wilwood does not and it may be a problem depending on your local climate and if your car is a dd or not.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

Just to let you know wilwood does not and it may be a problem depending on your local climate and if your car is a dd or not.

What do they look like and where are they mounted?..........if they have them.

Are they behind the pad?

R

Last edited:

Thump_rrr

Established Member

They are called dust boots. They are the rubber boots over the pistons that fold up like an accordion.

I ran the Wilwoods for 7 years in rain and in temps as low as -30 without any issues. I will take some pics when I get back from vacation but the pistons look like new even after 50,000 miles with severe abuse.
If they would fit my 9" setup they would be on there already.

RusWolf

Established Member
What do they look like and where are they mounted?..........if they have them.

Are they behind the pad?

R

Yes proper name is dust boot.
They are the reason why i got stoptech's instead of wilwood for the fronts and stop tech offer kits with or without them.
I called wilwood and spoke with them directly about the dust boots and they said their kit will require more maintenance.
They are located around the brake piston. Basically a rubber around it that protects it.

I had wilwood's on my other car that was parked for few years, well the result was that the piston got stuck and the caliper needed to be rebuilt.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Yes proper name is dust boot.
They are the reason why i got stoptech's instead of wilwood for the fronts and stop tech offer kits with or without them.
I called wilwood and spoke with them directly about the dust boots and they said their kit will require more maintenance.
They are located around the brake piston. Basically a rubber around it that protects it.

I had wilwood's on my other car that was parked for few years, well the result was that the piston got stuck and the caliper needed to be rebuilt.

Ok, yes, the rubber seals that fit the piston(s) and also the caliper/piston bore(s). I don't think Baer has them on these 6S's.

I wonder why there would be more maint. involved with dust boots?

R

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I always wondered why they heck they just went with FRONT brembos unlike the SRT's which mine came with red painted Brembos front and back + slotted rotors. Any SRT you see you instantly notice those gorgeous red calipers, I wish the GT-500 would get something like that. Hell even VW is painting their calipers red on the TURBO BUG because it just LOOKS good, and we for sure can't use "caliper covers" like I see every GT using to fake Brembos.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
More maintenance without them is because things may get in there and a piston may get corroded. All oem/street calipers have them, all race spec calipers do not.

I misunderstood, I thought they told you their kit would require more maint. with boots. I agree, that boots are better for sure.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I always wondered why they heck they just went with FRONT brembos unlike the SRT's which mine came with red painted Brembos front and back + slotted rotors. Any SRT you see you instantly notice those gorgeous red calipers, I wish the GT-500 would get something like that. Hell even VW is painting their calipers red on the TURBO BUG because it just LOOKS good, and we for sure can't use "caliper covers" like I see every GT using to fake Brembos.

^^^I agree, when they are buying many, many thousand pairs of calipers for the rear, you would think that a few $$$ added to the cost of the car would not be a big deal while also giving buyers what they want.............a Cool looking side profile view.

R

shelby2

Established Member
Willwood has the 4 piston setup that is AWSOME. Combine it with the 6 piston willwood for the front and you'll be all smiles.
Mark

RusWolf

Established Member
StopTech told me that the reason why they don't produce rear BBk for mustangs is because of something i think called piston slap? (please correct me if i'm wrong with my term).
it's basically when under hard turns our axle moves a little and piston start pushing on the brake pad and brake pad starts touching the rotor. Again if i am misunderstanding someone can correct me with more knowledge. Stoptech does not how wilwood is overcoming this.

Also, this is just my guess BUT i think stoptech just probably decided not to get involved too much with the rear kits for our cars maybe due to relatively low demand or complexity of proper system set up...

Thump_rrr

Established Member
StopTech told me that the reason why they don't produce rear BBk for mustangs is because of something i think called piston slap? (please correct me if i'm wrong with my term).
it's basically when under hard turns our axle moves a little and piston start pushing on the brake pad and brake pad starts touching the rotor. Again if i am misunderstanding someone can correct me with more knowledge. Stoptech does not how wilwood is overcoming this.

Also, this is just my guess BUT i think stoptech just probably decided not to get involved too much with the rear kits for our cars maybe due to relatively low demand or complexity of proper system set up...

What happens is that when the rear axles move the rotors move with them but the calipers are fixed and the discs push the pads into the caliper so that when you come out of a turn you press on the pedal and it goes soft.

This doesn't happen with the factory calipers because as anyone who has done a rear brake job on our cars knows the pistons on the rear calipers do not retract unless they are screwed back in.

I was running the Wilwoods when I had my 8.8" rear end.
When I had the original trac-lock diff in the car it was barely perceptible but it was there.
I then installed a tru-trac which has a solid metal puck that is inserted between the axles and it was perfect.
Unfortunately I then blew up the tru-trac and installed a wavetrac.
The Wavetrac for the Ford 8.8" diff is the biggest POS to ever hit the market.
It has shims that are 0.050" wide going into a slot that is 0.068" wide so you get a lot of axle play.
I would get out of a corner and the brakes were extremely soft.

There were more serious issues with the 8.8" Wavetrac that Moser Engineering, which is the distributor for the Wavetrac, gave me a full credit towards a 9" Wavetrac which does not have any of the issues that plague the 8.8".

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
Cortex Racing has a kit from Brembo to match the stock front system. It does require modifying the 8.8" rear axle tubes for the 9" big bearing axle ends to stop knock back. It also utilizes a secondary caliper for the e-brake.
bremborearbrakekit-1.jpg

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Ok, rear axle movement..............that is why I have seen a valve type unit attached to the newer Super Snakes with the rear Baer Extreme option. My rear kit did not come with those pieces that attach inline between the caliper and the rear brake hose, but I did ask about it recently because I had seen them on a car's rear calipers, and I knew it was not on mine. My Baer contact mentioned it was for axle movement, but I did not know under what conditions it functioned. He said he would send me a pair for my rear brakes, but he also said that I may not notice any difference on my street driven car.

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread