Gt500 rear brake upgrade - whats out there?!?

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
This is the ONLY thing I dislike about my 2011 Shelby. I hate those tiny-a$$ed rear brakes, especially since being an owner of a C6Z06. I almost didn't buy this car because of the rear brakes. I was driving it today and really noticed they suck. Its a low mile car and still on stock pads. I'm gonna upgrade to some HAWKS for the street.

Have any of you guys upgraded your rear brakes? If so, what did you put back there? What other details do I need to know before buying or planning the switch?

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Well upgrading to the 15" front rotors and six piston calipers and 13.75" rear rotors found on the '13-'14 can't hurt. Add some stainless braided lines and better pads and you should have some decent stopping power. Or you could spend $7,000 for one of the big brake kits. FWIW, the stock brakes respond well to braided lines and better pads too, but won't be as good as the larger diameter rotors. Upgrading to a brake fluid with a higher boiling point can't hurt either.

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
I wonder if the Wilwood brakes have that crazy safety wiring like their drag race brakes.

So the '13-'14 GT500 rear brakes are a step-up from older models? Bigger rotor and more caliper or just bigger rotor?

rlhay2

Established Member
my 20" wheel with the Baer 14" rear brake rotor. These will also fit within an 18" wheel.

4201588208_b2112b5927_z.jpg

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I think the OP is more concerned with looks and I agree, our rear calipers look like crap. I had mine painted to match my car and front calipers but it doesn't help much. One issue for many with a bigger/nicer looking caliper is they wouldn't work with a 15" drag wheel. I know there was a thread a few months back about the same thing and trying to make the front calipers work on the rear.

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Talk to baer, or whoever you go with. You do not want to mess up the brake bias of the car. That would be rather exciting.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
This is the ONLY thing I dislike about my 2011 Shelby. I hate those tiny-a$$ed rear brakes, especially since being an owner of a C6Z06. I almost didn't buy this car because of the rear brakes. I was driving it today and really noticed they suck. Its a low mile car and still on stock pads. I'm gonna upgrade to some HAWKS for the street.

Have any of you guys upgraded your rear brakes? If so, what did you put back there? What other details do I need to know before buying or planning the switch?

I had a set of Wilwood rear brakes on my 2005 Mustang GT up until last week.
I ran it with the 2012 GT500 SVTPP wheels for the street and a set of 15" Bogart R/T's for the drag strip.
I was also running the BMR swaybar relocation brackets to make room for the Bogarts.

The setup is a nice upgrade from stock in both looks and performance.
I have a couple of comments on this setup.

1) the rear rotors are a 1 piece design with a deep offset so no matter what wheels you run there are no worries about clearing wheels.
2) you must also purchase their stainless hoses and their rear parking brake cable kit.
3) the factory parking brake bracket in the transmission tunnel must be modified to install this kit.
Some minor cutting of the factory bracket must be done so that the wilwood bracket can be installed.
4) the parking brake is now an internal drum brake.
5) the forged dynalite calipers do not have as nice a finish as the billet super lite calipers.

When I purchased this kit back in 2007 it was the only option out there and I was satisfied with the kit.
Now there is another kit model 140-9221 which has the nicer Superlite calipers and 2 piece rotors but it will not fit on a car running a 15" rear wheel setup.

Last week I installed a Currie 9" rear end in the car and the kit is no longer compatible due to the Big Ford flanges.

I will be looking at other options which may fit in the near future.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I wonder if the Wilwood brakes have that crazy safety wiring like their drag race brakes.

So the '13-'14 GT500 rear brakes are a step-up from older models? Bigger rotor and more caliper or just bigger rotor?

The rear dynalite setup had provisions for safety wire on the caliper bracket bolts only since it is a 1 piece rotor.
The rear Superlite setup has it for the hats used on the 2pc rotors.

I have many friends running the Superlite setup without safety wire for the better part of 10 years without issues.
It is only a precautionary measure.
Safety wire and a set of aviation pliers are relatively inexpensive and easy to use.
I already have my front SL6 calipers and will be installing the 2pc rotors in the fall.
I will do a write up with a how to at that time.

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
Thanks Thump_rrr........will look forward to the write-up! BTW, do you have any pics of your previous setup that was installed on the car?

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
my 20" wheel with the Baer 14" rear brake rotor. These will also fit within an 18" wheel.

4201588208_b2112b5927_z.jpg

Thanks, looks good. All you did was install the Baer rotors on the rear and use the factory caliper? Did you change to Baer front rotors to match, but used the factory caliper?

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Thanks Thump_rrr........will look forward to the write-up! BTW, do you have any pics of your previous setup that was installed on the car?

These are the only 2 pics of the car that I found where you can see the rear brakes.
They were only intended to show the new wheels on the car.

When I get back from vacation in 10 days I'll post up pics of how the calipers look after years of hard work. The finish isn't stellar but probably with a coat of ceramic paint they will look good.

If I was doing this mod today and I didn't intend to put slicks on the car with 15" rims I would go with the Superlight caliper and 2pc rotor setup.
CC8EFB05-A6A9-4945-AE3E-89580F273112_zpsqqoafkg7.jpg

4FD73916-21A1-4A30-AED4-5A86C3F87A27_zpsk51bob0e.jpg

Last edited:

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
Thump_rrr..........thanks, looks good! What size rotors are those? I don't think you mentioned that previously. Thanks.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Talk to baer, or whoever you go with. You do not want to mess up the brake bias of the car. That would be rather exciting.

Baer is who I went with to match my fronts. Even though the rear monoblock calipers are the same physical size as the fronts, each of the six pistons are a smaller diameter for correct bias front and rear................

0063_zpsfb08ff58.jpg

R

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
Baer is who I went with to match my fronts. Even though the rear monoblock calipers are the same physical size as the fronts, each of the six pistons are a smaller diameter for correct bias front and rear................

0063_zpsfb08ff58.jpg

R

That is artwork in my opinion, I missed out when Shelby had their final sale.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
That is artwork in my opinion, I missed out when Shelby had their final sale.

Thanks. Believe me, the price was "fine art" also.

They do look good, I hated the side view of my car after I got it back from Shelby with the Baer 6 piston Extremes on the front and the wimpy looking oem single piston rears with only a Baer rear rotor upgrade. As soon as Baer came out with the 6 piston rear upgrade, I had to have it!!

Now I have just found out that 15" Baer rotors are available for all four corners to replace my 14", but it requires a minimum 19" wheel..............not a problem, I have 20" Alcoa's and always will. The real problem is the cost of the rotor upgrade from 14" to 15" using my same original 6S calipers.............so far the fronts are $965 for the two rotors, four longer ARP studs that hold the calipers and four thicker spacers that slide on the studs before thee calipers are installed. <<I have that upgrade covered, the rears? that will be a future upgrade...........

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread