Gt500 or c7

Notfast2012

Established Member
Hey guys. I am in the market for a new toy. Quick background I had two coyotes one with a d1 mt82 and another tvs stalled auto, I know most of the 5bro jokes. Current car big turbo/built coyote/ fox coupe. I have narrowed my cars down to a 13-14 gt500 or a c7. I have a idea that I want to run 200 mph. I haven't driven either cars. But sat in both and I had a 13 gt. I am sure either car can get me over 200 mph. But I also plan on driving the car around town, in the mountains, long trips. My fox is great at a straight line but lacks creature comforts lol. I understand both will require some heavy mods. But 200 mph club is on my bucket list. What I am looking for is feedback in terms of everyday driving for both? which is better for the 200 mph club as far as cost? I have little to no experience with taking a car over 200 mph so feedback on that will be welcome to. Money wise I think both are close to the same pricge, well a 1lt base corvette with supplier pricing. Thanks for the help!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Not sure where you're getting your info that hitting 200mph in a GT500 will require "heavy mods", but if your goal is that speed AND you want to take the car on "long trips" I don't see how the GT500 could be anything but a no-brainer.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Hey guys. I am in the market for a new toy. Quick background I had two coyotes one with a d1 mt82 and another tvs stalled auto, I know most of the 5bro jokes. Current car big turbo/built coyote/ fox coupe. I have narrowed my cars down to a 13-14 gt500 or a c7. I have a idea that I want to run 200 mph. I haven't driven either cars. But sat in both and I had a 13 gt. I am sure either car can get me over 200 mph. But I also plan on driving the car around town, in the mountains, long trips. My fox is great at a straight line but lacks creature comforts lol. I understand both will require some heavy mods. But 200 mph club is on my bucket list. What I am looking for is feedback in terms of everyday driving for both? which is better for the 200 mph club as far as cost? I have little to no experience with taking a car over 200 mph so feedback on that will be welcome to. Money wise I think both are close to the same pricge, well a 1lt base corvette with supplier pricing. Thanks for the help!

I may be qualified to answer a couple things...since I own both.

IMG_2178_zps2ib9pz1w.jpg

Ford reports the top speed of the GT500 is 200 mph. I've not hit that nor do I have the desire to. LOL. I'd like to see my kids at least thru college before I take on that adventure. I absolutely love my GT500 but I'll be as unbiased as I can. GM reports the Stingray Z51 tops out around 189 mph.

The two cars couldn't be more different. As expected the GT500 is an absolute beast getting on it. No comparison. Hands down it'll out run my M7 Z51 in a straight line. Its raw power puts you back in your seat. Clutching is stiff. However I did remove the clutch assist spring too.. Shifter is notchy enough for me and leaves no doubt about what gear I'm in. Per my sig you can see I spent some $$$ into modding the suspension. Stock was just too slushy especially at higher speeds and it had some wheel hop. Before mods getting on it hard I could feel a loose rear. Ford in their infinite wisdom and imo failure was not beefing up the LCAs and providing a wider tire in the rear. That made this car too scary... to me any how. I came from a Boss and that car could corner and was very balanced. The GT500...umm, not so much but not as bad as pre 13 models. I instantly felt the heavy front end. The allure to the GT500 is all about the raw power. Creature comforts are ok. The Recaros are a must have imo. Tho they are a pain in the rear due the manual adjust. Ford dropped the ball not having power Recaro seats. However they are very comfortable and the side support keeps me planted. Touch screen NAV works great. No electrical issues. Well, nor warranty issues with over 15k miles on the car so far period. I drive nearly daily and it's very reliable. Extreme power on demand. the 3.31 rear gears are a pain in stop an go traffic but I've mastered it. 3.73 rear gears would have been nice but then Ford could not claim 200 mph. I would have easily sacrificed that. LOL. I get a lot of looks driving either car. BUT the Ruby Red Met. pops and she gets much more attention. People tell me every day at stop lights or parking lots how beautiful my GT500 is. The Ford racing axel back mufflers really sound great. Get a lot of comments there too. My Shelby is special. Personally, I feel I've never owned anything so special. I will keep her until I can't drive and then I will have my son take me for spins.

I bought the Stingray for my wife for her 40th B day. It's a 2LT M7 Z51 vert. GM hit an absolute home run with the Stingray. It's Arctic white with adrenaline red interior. Chrome Z51 wheels with red calipers. Looks stunning. The whitest white I've ever seen. The Magnetic Selective Ride Control (MSRC) and independent suspension is mind blowing. The car is so balanced and sooo smooth. You'd think the Z51 suspension would rattle your fillings loose as it did in days past but NOT ANY MORE. It's remarkably smooth. Sure you can feel every crease in the pavement but it's not harsh at all. The shifter throw is longer than the GT500 from top to bottom. Clutching is light and effortless in comparison. I admit, I have to get mentally prepared for the stiffer clutch in my GT500 when going from the Z51 to the GT500. The Z51 is hands down the best corner carver I'll ever drive. A real road course car. Enough power and gearing (3.42s) to squirt out of turns or perform a quick straight burst in traffic. The gas peddle has a long travel which I don't care for. Seems less responsive in low rpm but it's not got quite the TQ the GT500 has... The motor really comes alive after 3500 rpm imo. The performance exhaust is ok and lets others know you're there but I'd like it to be louder. Again, it's the wife's car soooo... I did not opt for the competition seats and I feel it was a good move. Comp seats are harder and not really comfortable on distances. The stock seats might as well be Recaros. They feel great AND ARE VENTED WITH POWER AND 2 MEMORY POSITIONS. Absolutely comfy. Power everything with the 2LT option. Power telescoping steering wheel that also is stored into the seating memory. At the push of a button everything retracts for easy exit and entry. The performance, road handling, and technology make this the best Vette ever. HUD is awesome. Switch on the rev matching for down shift and up shift. It is awesome but does take some fun outta blipping the throttle on your own. Bottom line is I enjoy the hell out of driving the Stingray. A true joy to take corners in it. In sport and track mode you can see the Gs your pulling in your HUD. I feel like a Ken doll when I do drive it. LOL! So, while it's not really my personal style, it's one helluva car too.

You can't go wrong with either car. It really depends on what you're after. I'd stay away from the Stingray autos. Still some issues there with vibrating torque tubes. Some hanging shifts in auto unless you're in manual shift mode. The 2015s have a power train 5/100,000 while it's rumored the 16s will drop down to 60k. With either car you should probably get an oil separator. No mods needed for suspension with the Stingray unlike the GT500. Power modding is absolutely in favor of the GT500 in terms of HP bang for the buck obviously. There are the standard mods available for the Stingray like CAI, headers, tunes... Stingray M7s seem to dyno ~400 rwhp stock vs 590 - 610 for a stock GT500. I beleive the weight on the Stingray vert is 3365. Minus the 65 for a coupe.

Good luck and ask away if want to know something else. Keep us posted.

Last edited:

1FASFKR

Established Member
Some more pics

2LT Adrenaline Red interior

Arrival2_zps2bhim0jr.jpg

You're gonna want to get out of the Good Years if the GT500 is the route you take. I chose Pirellis. 295s rear and 275s in the front

Rear_zps3888cb03.jpg

Hand built with love just for me.

NicheLine_zps44139bee.jpg

Her happy day

happyday_zpsgpgd5wol.jpg

Last edited:

Notfast2012

Established Member
1fasfkr thank you for the great information! It seems to me the gt500 would be the better choice as far as a driver goes. Although I really like the look of the c7. I am looking at a white vette with black wheels, looks great! You have both colors that I would pick. Also with the vette I plan to put a supercharger on.Neither one of these cars will allow for test drives so it's a little difficult to make my mind up on which one to get. The wife likes the gt500 better than the vette. As far as getting into the vette how is it everyday? I sat in the vette on the show room and I kind of flopped inside the car lol. I had back surgery a few years go so comfort is still important to me.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
1fasfkr thank you for the great information! It seems to me the gt500 would be the better choice as far as a driver goes. Although I really like the look of the c7. I am looking at a white vette with black wheels, looks great! You have both colors that I would pick. Also with the vette I plan to put a supercharger on.Neither one of these cars will allow for test drives so it's a little difficult to make my mind up on which one to get. The wife likes the gt500 better than the vette. As far as getting into the vette how is it everyday? I sat in the vette on the show room and I kind of flopped inside the car lol. I had back surgery a few years go so comfort is still important to me.

If you get the Recarros getting into the Shelby is a little more difficult because of the extra bolstering on them, but I think there is probably a little more room getting into a Shelby than a vette.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Not sure where you're getting your info that hitting 200mph in a GT500 will require "heavy mods", but if your goal is that speed AND you want to take the car on "long trips" I don't see how the GT500 could be anything but a no-brainer.
I'd say light modding. 13-6 kit away.

Last edited:

Notfast2012

Established Member
Yeah my plan was the 13-6 kit but I wasn't sure if that alone would get me over 200mph in the Texas mile event. Bruno before the c7 came out I probably wouldn't have owned a vette until my 60's but the c7 changed my mind on that. Also I would like a hellcat as well but the dealers are asking more than I am willing to pay for one. Plus I can't imgine that a car that size handles that well.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Well he did say heavy mods to do 200. You guys were the ones assuming he meant overall top speed. Get the GT500, seems like it'll be more comfortable for you and just as fast once you start modding. Speed is as fast as you can afford to go

Notfast2012

Established Member
Yeah I am leaning towards the gt500 at this point. And I should've clarified my intentions for the car 200 mph in the Texas mile event that's why I said heavy mods. I have seen several gt500's that I like for sale. I plan on doing a little car shopping. Thank you everyone for all the great feedback!

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
Yeah my plan was the 13-6 kit but I wasn't sure if that alone would get me over 200mph in the Texas mile event. Bruno before the c7 came out I probably wouldn't have owned a vette until my 60's but the c7 changed my mind on that. Also I would like a hellcat as well but the dealers are asking more than I am willing to pay for one. Plus I can't imgine that a car that size handles that well.

No, a 13-6 kit alone won't get you 200. I did 196.8 with the stock motor/blower. 198.5 is the record for a stock motor. There was a built motor with ported TVS that did 214. Both cars will take a lot of moding to hit 200. At the last mile, I had quite a few people come up to me and say "I've never been a Ford fan, but these Shelbys are kicking ass. I think I might have to get one." So I say get the Shelby.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I was in the same predicament when I bought my Shelby. At the time, the power of the Shelby won me over. Now as time went on, I'm very happy I made the decision I did. Personally, the Shelby is one of the nicest looking cars on the road, IMO, the power is incredible, it has 4 seats, while that might not be necessary for you, it certainly is a perk, and while it doesn't handle or brake anywhere near the Vette, it does those things pretty damn good as well. Maybe not so gracefully, but it certainly does them.

MikeHoncho

Who cares...
Established Member
I was in the same predicament when I bought my Shelby. At the time, the power of the Shelby won me over. Now as time went on, I'm very happy I made the decision I did. Personally, the Shelby is one of the nicest looking cars on the road, IMO, the power is incredible, it has 4 seats, while that might not be necessary for you, it certainly is a perk, and while it doesn't handle or brake anywhere near the Vette, it does those things pretty damn good as well. Maybe not so gracefully, but it certainly does them.

Don't forget about production numbers too. I see Vettes everywhere. I like having a car you don't see everyday.

1FASFKR

Established Member
The Vette sits low. Ya, once your body gets past a certain bend, your descent in to seat kinda plops. If your back is a concern, you may not like getting in and out of the vette.

ThomasL

Established Member
I can't really speak on the C7 as this Shelby is my first high horsepower car but it's so much fun. Even in stock form it's insane. A few bolt ons and a tune put you over 700 at the wheels. And you can damn near hit 200 in a mile on stock motor and bolt ons. Insane. They're holding their value very well too if re-sale is of any importance to you.

Notfast2012

Established Member
I went and looked today at some cars. Really didn't get to see anything I would buy just yet. Although while I was at the ford dealer I did drive a 15 mustang gt. I was surprised on how much they changed from my 13 gt. I only found one gt500 that I like and its about 2.5 hours away. I have noticed that they hold their value really well. I am considering buying a modded gt500 right now. I am a little concerned buying a used gt500. 1lt vettes are a little hard to find as well. Most come with every option available.

Users who are viewing this thread