Gt500 future value/collectable?

DOUBLE07GT

Established Member
Just what the title says. Are these cars going to hold any value or be collectable after years of ownership? What do you think?

Blaine

Established Member
With such HIGH production numbers... odds are a GT500 investment would be a losing investment. Unless you invested in a Super Snake or KR (USED a few years from now) and sat it a garage to collect dust for 30 years you might make a few dollars. Look at the FAMOUS 2001 Cobra R.... over $115k off the showroom floor. You can buy one now for $35k easy. The GT500 KR Mustang... over $125K off the showroom floor. You can buy one now for $50k. Could u imagine taking a loan out on that sucker.... 5 years later u go to trade it in... yeah.. we will give you 39k trade in for the car you owe 80K on. :fm:

The values will go down down down down ... flatline.. then slowly go up. Thats a long long time from now.

Buy what you like.. drive it. Don't be the smuck who collects cars and never drives them. I plan on buying a KR Mustang in a year when the price drops more, but I'll actually drive it and bring it to car shows for other people to enjoy. I still believe the 2008 KR GT500 is the sexiest mustang ever made. (just add Alcoa SS wheels)

MustangGT500KR_top.jpg

Anyone has a KR Mustang who wants a Mint 12 Charger SRT8.. I'll trade. :pop:

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
You'll get much more value if you enjoy it as much as possible. The pleasure of driving my car is worth more than any profit I could make on this car. Pay attention to the delta between the asking prices and selling prices which is huge. There are better ways to invest your money than buying a GT500 to park in the garage while you are jealous of everyone who's driving theirs. BTW, I bought mine with 400 miles for $30K and I'll be lucky to get my money back when I'm done with it.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
They aren't going to be worth any more than any other mustang because they made so many. In 20 years an 03-04 cobra will be worth more than a 07-14 gt500

Also it won't matter that you have one of 10 black stripe deletes with no shaker and upgraded floor mats or whatever.....

Last edited:

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
These cars depreciate but slower than others.When I traded in my 07 for my 13 I ended up having about $11,000 in equity on the vehicle which was a first for me, on my previous mustangs I typically was happy to break even when trading them in after a few years.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I think there will be some collectibility but nothing compared to say an 67 Shelby GT500. I think anything with the Shelby name will be collectible, more so than an 03/04 Cobra. It's not worth buying with the intention of making money off it but I think 20-30 years from now people will pay to have a low mileage, good condition GT500. JMHO

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
With such HIGH production numbers... odds are a GT500 investment would be a losing investment. Unless you invested in a Super Snake or KR (USED a few years from now) and sat it a garage to collect dust for 30 years you might make a few dollars. Look at the FAMOUS 2001 Cobra R.... over $115k off the showroom floor. You can buy one now for $35k easy. The GT500 KR Mustang... over $125K off the showroom floor. You can buy one now for $50k. Could u imagine taking a loan out on that sucker.... 5 years later u go to trade it in... yeah.. we will give you 39k trade in for the car you owe 80K on. :fm:

The values will go down down down down ... flatline.. then slowly go up. Thats a long long time from now.

Now that would be a Rare Cobra R............2001!!! when the other 300 were built in 2000. ;-)

I agree with others that the build numbers make a large difference in future $$$ value, yes some cars may have low build numbers for color, or options, but they are still XXXXX car and fall under the total build number for that specific year.

Cars that are low number builds and are desirable do seem to go up quicker than some others, for example, I bought a 1993 Cobra R in 2004, the car originally was $26,995 MSRP in 1993 on the window sticker, I paid $40K for it with 178 original miles at 10 years old. I used it for local car shows and sold it with 458 original miles in 2008 (at 15 years old) for $70K and a $30K clear profit for a 4 year ownership time period.

I owned a 2000 Cobra R during this same time period, it had 21.6 original miles on it when I bought it in 2003 for $40K (original MSRP $54,995) I also drove it to car shows and built up 850 mile on it when I sold it in 2009 for $47.5K. <<Not as much profit as the 93R, but still a profit.

My 95R #108, I lost approx. $3K on it during a 4 year ownership, but it was also a fun car to own.

The market is lower on both of these cars right now, but because of their low build numbers it will recover earlier that some other cool SVT cars.

The KR's will come around, they are unique and in comparison to the regular production GT500, they are very low build numbers.

R

Last edited:

Mongopushn

Established Member
The Cobra R will be valuable one day, just not in 10 years time,nothing is . It was way overpriced in the first place so it will definitely take some time. The current GT500's will be collectors to, it doesn't happen overnight no matter what the production numbers are. Most cars take 30-40 years to become rare collectables. It takes time to weed out the numbers... total loss cars, modded not matching numbers cars,high mileage, etc..all this adds value over time to the few cars that remain in pristine condition.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The Cobra R will be valuable one day, just not in 10 years time,nothing is . It was way overpriced in the first place so it will definitely take some time. The current GT500's will be collectors to, it doesn't happen overnight no matter what the production numbers are. Most cars take 30-40 years to become rare collectables. It takes time to weed out the numbers... total loss cars, modded not matching numbers cars,high mileage, etc..all this adds value over time to the few cars that remain in pristine condition.

That would also depend upon which of the 3 R-Models is being discussed. Like I mentioned above, the 1993 Cobra R was $26,995 MSRP when new in 1993, 10 years later I paid the market value for a 93R with miles under 500 and that was $40K, so just in 10 years that car had gained from $27K to $40K, then I sold it in 2008 at 15 years old for $70K, yes, seventy thousand dollars. Now at 20+ years the market has softened, but it is not anywhere near the original $27K, it is more like double that ($50K+) for a nice low mile example.

Nice original low mile examples of the 2000 Cobra R are well into the $40K's with some wrapper cars getting into the $50K's. <<These are not "well used" examples with mods., these are nice as-new examples with full documentation that are getting close to their MSRP at less than 15 years old. Can a 2000 Cobra R be bought for less? sure, but it will not be as-new condition like many collectors who have the big $$$ are looking for.

As for the 2000 Cobra R being over priced.........for all of the unique items included in the build of that car, the testing, the engineering etc. and then only 300 cars built? What is the cost of all of that for only 300 built? It is not like Ford/SVT had 10,000+ cars to spread out all of the time and money that had invested in that car from the drawing board to the showroom, and it's not like the Cobra R was full of regular production parts. Many parts were "2000 Cobra R only" at that time, with many parts still being unique to that car.

R

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I think the shelby will sell similar to the terminator, prices will fall to 20-25k and as long as they're under 100k miles people will still buy them at that price. Don't think they will ever be a collectable unless it's a supersnake or a kr, just to many are being made.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread