GT500 engine durability

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
So far pretty impressed with the durability of the new gt500 5.4 engine. I remember when it first came out everyone was worried about the rods not being Manley H beams, it appears they are still extremely strong. Not sure if I have heard of one true engine failure, although It has probably happened. Just shows not very common. Looks like they have learned a lot from the terminator engines.
Love my 04 terminator ,but would like to have a gt500 in the garage also , that will probably be a few years down the road though.

harley99fb

Established Member
So far pretty impressed with the durability of the new gt500 5.4 engine. I remember when it first came out everyone was worried about the rods not being Manley H beams, it appears they are still extremely strong. Not sure if I have heard of one true engine failure, although It has probably happened. Just shows not very common. Looks like they have learned a lot from the terminator engines.
Love my 04 terminator ,but would like to have a gt500 in the garage also , that will probably be a few years down the road though.

+1 I have not read or heard of any engine failures.:rockon::thumbsup:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
you have to remember that fords durability test are very rigorous! when they contracted roush to do some of this testing, roush did not just take one 650hp engine and run it a 3k rpms for 5k miles before it let go. ford and their contracts ran these engines very hard for hundreds of thousands of miles at all sorts of power outputs to get a baseline.

will a 700wrhp gt500 last a while? yes. will i last for 100k miles while one runs passes every weekend? no

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
All high-performance is an exercise in break-and-replace.

The more you ask an engine to do, the less often you can ask it to do that.

Ford learned a lot from the Terminators, but so did customers. I think people are less apt to de-mod and lie about it with these cars. These cars are also sold to people in a higher income bracket, and most likely, older buyers. People who know how to keep a car alive over time, because its not their first foray into truly high performance.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
They have been out long enough to show up any major flaws. I know the terminators had already had problems with head tick and melted/broken pistons in about the same time frame

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
That is a excellent point. Lot of people weren't getting them tuned before putting pulley's on them.
People know better now... well most of them

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
A friend told me, 'An engine has XX number of horsepower in it....its just how fast you want to get it out.' I found that out the hard way and now have a new long block. The GT500 5.4 is MUCH better than the L's.

Users who are viewing this thread