Gt350 w/ 500mi on dynojet - video

liter of cola

Established Member
Went to a dyno meet, friend of a friend brought his new gt350 that only had 500 miles on it. He through it on the dyno and this is what happend.

[video=youtube;DpN66FZwc-U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpN66FZwc-U[/video]

how do you guys feel about the numbers?

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
Went to a dyno meet, friend of a friend brought his new gt350 that only had 500 miles on it. He through it on the dyno and this is what happend.

https://youtu.be/DpN66FZwc-U

how do you guys feel about the numbers?
450rwhp STD is about 435rwhp SAE. What octane fuel? Seems a little on the low side, but dynos can vary quite a bit, maybe its just not one of them famous Texas dynos haha

Could probably need a little more break-in too.

bdub85

Established Member
450rwhp STD is about 435rwhp SAE. What octane fuel? Seems a little on the low side, but dynos can vary quite a bit, maybe its just not one of them famous Texas dynos haha

Could probably need a little more break-in too.

My car made 450whp SAE corrected on a Dynojet on the first pass. After some runs, it must have broke in. They flashed it to stock and did another pull. Then, it made 466whp. My car had 1500 miles too. I just think this engine needs to break in yet.

liter of cola

Established Member
450whp was a corrected amount. I just think the car needs to break in... Im gonna dyno my gt350 when its got 2k miles on it. Im gonna put it on the same dyno so we'll know for sure. That wont be for a long time though. Im pretty confident he had 93 octane in the car as its available at every gas station in ny that i know of. I'll ask him though.

Last edited:

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
Dyno numbers vary so much Dyno to Dyno. Hard to really rely on that number whole heartedly. The motor is fresh and the fuel plays a big part. My Dyno numbers on back to back runs with a little cool down varied by 10hp at the wheel. If your running 93 octane or better guys have been known to make 10+ rwhp more.

Point being that with all the variables Dyno numbers aren't always reliable. They are most useful for getting a baseline on a car and then seeing improvements in power after modifications and tuning. But that's really only specific to that car since it's running on the same Dyno consistently with the same correction factors and calibrations

Voltwings

Established Member
Curve > Numbers. I'm much more interested in the shape of a curve than the number it puts out, since they're not really comparable like others have said. Granted, since this is a bone stock, N/a car, we have a pretty good idea of what the curve will look like and it looks fine. Getting a base line is always good, but thats about all this is good for. Even that is up for discussion seeing as how there is speculation this motor isnt broken in yet. Maybe that's how manufacturers get +20 whp with just an intake haha, they wait till after the engine is broken in to get that second dyno pull with the intake on.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
These things make some interesting TB noises. I had the battery out of mine while it was well below 30* and on a trickle charger for some time. After putting it back in the engine made all kinds of interesting noises. If you listen closely to the OP's video for the first ten seconds, you'll hear sounds similar to this (at each shift)...

[video=youtube;RFaxOSDK8xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFaxOSDK8xs[/video]

liter of cola

Established Member
These things make some interesting TB noises. I had the battery out of mine while it was well below 30* and on a trickle charger for some time. After putting it back in the engine made all kinds of interesting noises. If you listen closely to the OP's video for the first ten seconds, you'll hear sounds similar to this (at each shift)...

[video=youtube;RFaxOSDK8xs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFaxOSDK8xs[/video]

I was wondering what that was. Thought it was just a loud intake. Was your car just making that noise on its own? Were you touching the gas pedal at all?

Last edited:

CO Mack

Established Member

Yep, mine does that too, right at tip in.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
450whp was a corrected amount. I just think the car needs to break in... Im gonna dyno my gt350 when its got 2k miles on it. Im gonna put it on the same dyno so we'll know for sure. That wont be for a long time though. Im pretty confident he had 93 octane in the car as its available at every gas station in ny that i know of. I'll ask him though.
450 is a corrected number, but it was STD corrected rather than the more commonly used SAE. STD reads a good 3-3.5% higher than SAE.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
That sound is the grimmlins being whipped by the Shepard shaft to open the tb blade. You guys need to run some coolant in the oil to cool those guys off. Slave drivers. Sheesh.

(tt335ci03cobra is NOT a member of the SAE or a service technician of any sort. His wisdom comes from a mix of YouTube college, passive reading and general misconception. It is not recommended to adhere to his suggestions)

Last edited:

liter of cola

Established Member
Right... I'll report back in the future when i get my 350 and put 2k miles on it and then run it. Im gonna put it on the same dyno. But like i said thats gonna be a long time from now.

2001BlackSVT

You're First or Last
Established Member
Am I the only one that wouldn't put my GT350 (if I had one) on a dyno in a shop that looked like such a disaster? Seriously, they couldn't clean that crap hole up?

liter of cola

Established Member
high end shops are usually the only (clean) ones. those will charge you $3k to change your sparkplugs. a good shop is defined by the ppl who run it not its cleanliness. it's funny the best mechanics I've ever known usually have shops that look like that. grease monkeys aren't usually clean freaks.

Users who are viewing this thread