GT350 v C7 Grand Sport

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
I'm having a really hard time deciding which to get. 33, Single, no kids. It may be my DD, still debating keeping my current daily ('11 Sonata).

I used to daily the '03 Cobra convertible, but traded it for my Sonata. The Cobra wasn't too fun to DD since I had delrin bushings all around, subframes, HR race springs (slammed). Car creaked like crazy, not a fan of converts at all, and had 115,000 miles when I traded it in.

To add, my true toy will still be my 427ci '69 Mach1.

I wish there was a GT350 in the area I could listen to and look at close up. I've seen one on the freeway, but that's about it.

As for the Grand Sport, I can look at the Z06 and know what it'll look like. Both cars have their plusses and minuses, just wish the decision was easier on which to choose. I'm really going to try to keep either car mostly stock. What do you guys think?

BTW, please don't mention ZL1 as an option. HELL NO.

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
This is sort of a pepsi vs coke debate. With the GS on the way, the performance delta will be in the noise. The chevy fanbois will arrive shorly and claim the GS will smoke the GT350 six ways from sunday at the track and strip. Once motortrend releases a head to head article they will go on and on about Probst's laptimes at laguna. The truth is either car's abilities will exceed the driving skill of 99.5% of the population, so unless you are at the track every other weekend it's going to be a wash. So it really comes down to looks/sound/curb appeal. The shelby takes the cake for all 3 so it was a no brainer for me. The FPC voodoo is a real gem, likely wont see another engine like it for quite some time, if ever thanks to Obama and Cafe regulations.

Frontier Ford just got one in, they called me today asking if I was still interested at 20k over. I think sunnyvale might have some inbound as well according to fords inventory tracker

I work in the southbay but dont drive it to work daily, otherwise I'd try to help you out.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I'm having a really hard time deciding which to get. 33, Single, no kids, $200,000/yr. It may be my DD, still debating keeping my current daily ('11 Sonata).

I used to daily the '03 Cobra convertible, but traded it for my Sonata. The Cobra wasn't too fun to DD since I had delrin bushings all around, subframes, HR race springs (slammed). Car creaked like crazy, not a fan of converts at all, and had 115,000 miles when I traded it in.

To add, my true toy will still be my 427ci '69 Mach1.

I wish there was a GT350 in the area I could listen to and look at close up. I've seen one on the freeway, but that's about it.

As for the Grand Sport, I can look at the Z06 and know what it'll look like. Both cars have their plusses and minuses, just wish the decision was easier on which to choose. I'm really going to try to keep either car mostly stock. What do you guys think?

BTW, please don't mention ZL1 as an option. HELL NO.

wait your 33 and make $200k a year! where do you work? nice!! oh and you traded your 03 cobra for a hyundai? I can see why your bored already and want a fast car again,lol

hell if you make 200k a year buy a porsche? upgrade? maserati? jaguar ? they all sound badass, have you looked into the new supercharger jags ? have you heard the beast exaust tone ? lol

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
wait your 33 and make $200k a year! where do you work? nice!! oh and you traded your 03 cobra for a hyundai? I can see why your bored already and want a fast car again,lol

hell if you make 200k a year buy a porsche? upgrade? maserati? jaguar ? they all sound badass, have you looked into the new supercharger jags ? have you heard the beast exaust tone ? lol
Well, it's the Bay Area, so $200k isn't really $200k.

And yes, I did trade my '03 Cobra for a 2011 Sonata haha. I never wanted a convertible, but the price was too good at the time to pass up. The '03 took a pretty good beating when I was done with it and, at 115k (85k from me @ 450rwhp), I wanted to get out of it before something catastrophic happened to the engine.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
Well, it's the Bay Area, so $200k isn't really $200k.

And yes, I did trade my '03 Cobra for a 2011 Sonata haha. I never wanted a convertible, but the price was too good at the time to pass up. The '03 took a pretty good beating when I was done with it and, at 115k (85k from me @ 450rwhp), I wanted to get out of it before something catastrophic happened to the engine.

lol I hear you, I would say if you can find yourself a new 2017 gt350 or a 2016 gt350r cant go wrong

myshelby3425

Established Member
$100,000 for a car is just too much, and 650 hp is pretty rediculous on the street. My '69 Mach1 makes roughly 525-550 hp (at 3140 lbs without me in it), I don't need another absurd car.

You can get a base zo6 for $75k. You can get them now nearly $5-10k off sticker. I'd prefer that all day vs the gran sport. More value too.

Buuuuttt, gt350 is cheaper, slower, more spacious, gets complimented everywhere u go and holds its value a whole lot better.

THE_EVIL_TW1N

Established Member
This is sort of a pepsi vs coke debate. With the GS on the way, the performance delta will be in the noise. The chevy fanbois will arrive shorly and claim the GS will smoke the GT350 six ways from sunday at the track and strip. Once motortrend releases a head to head article they will go on and on about Probst's laptimes at laguna. The truth is either car's abilities will exceed the driving skill of 99.5% of the population, so unless you are at the track every other weekend it's going to be a wash. So it really comes down to looks/sound/curb appeal. The shelby takes the cake for all 3 so it was a no brainer for me. The FPC voodoo is a real gem, likely wont see another engine like it for quite some time, if ever thanks to Obama and Cafe regulations.

Frontier Ford just got one in, they called me today asking if I was still interested at 20k over. I think sunnyvale might have some inbound as well according to fords inventory tracker

I work in the southbay but dont drive it to work daily, otherwise I'd try to help you out.
I agree that I would not be able to get anywhere near the limits of the capabilities of either car. IMO, the Corvette GS/Z06 body has more curb appeal. But I've never been a fan of the exhaust note of Chevy's at all. I really wish they had a special engine in the GS such as the FPC 5.2 to differentiate it from the base Stingray. But I guess in keeping the standard 6.2 allows it to be more affordable, otherwise it would probably be out of the range I'm willing to spend.

raiderjatt02

Established Member
There are quite a few of us in the Bay Area so lots of opportunities to check one out in person. You even have choices for which color you want to see, red, white, blue, yellow, grey, magnetic...if you want to wait until May 7, come out to Blackhawk because there will be a few of us at the museum for the Shelby show. If you want to come out to the East Bay let me know when and you can check it out.

50 Deep

SVT JEDI
Established Member
If your playing with that kind if money hold out for an R. It will give you the experience plus the exclusivity To top it off. I'm sure every GT350 owner that could of afforded the R or had access to one would have gone that route. I have also not heard anyone say they disliked the character, feel, or emotion this car brings. The last 3 reasons mentioned is what I think will make you more happy than the Gran Sport

CO Mack

Established Member
I agree that I would not be able to get anywhere near the limits of the capabilities of either car. IMO, the Corvette GS/Z06 body has more curb appeal. But I've never been a fan of the exhaust note of Chevy's at all. I really wish they had a special engine in the GS such as the FPC 5.2 to differentiate it from the base Stingray. But I guess in keeping the standard 6.2 allows it to be more affordable, otherwise it would probably be out of the range I'm willing to spend.

I really don't like the noise the Vette makes either, but I actually like the look of the GT350 better. I havent driven one but if I didn't want a back seat I'd probably go Vette, pending test drive. The 350 is really special though, it's awesome. You won't be disappointed with it I'm sure, maybe unless you pay a big ADM...

Pete Grimaldi

Established Member
With the continuous ADM on the GT350 the Corvette is probably about the same price, maybe even less. I'm not opposed to Corvette love! It is a great car. It depends on what you want. The GT350 has not swayed me from my GT500. It is personal preference and it's all good. Get what you like driving the best.

Pete

SlowSVT

Established Member
For me it's a bit embarrassing driving a vette. I hated having everyone at a stop light staring at me with contempt! All I needed was a paisley nylon shirt and a gold chain to complete the picture :nonono:

A GT350 ..............................

Now there is a class act (and it's got a back seat). In that car I could pull into a daycare center, a 7/11 for a gallon of milk, a family reunion, the office, anywhere and not look like a playboy everywhere I drove and still feel a sense of dignity.

Be like Steve McQueen, not Sunny Crockett or "The Bandit"

Not saying a vette is a bad car. It just make you feel like your dating Kim kardashian in the process

BlownAway03

Established Member
At this point, with all the silly dealer games, I'd say GS or Z06. You can get into a Z06 under $80k. $100k is what one costs fully loaded with all the unnecessary crap.

az20115.0

Established Member
Corvettes can actually sound pretty good with right exhaust set up. No, it will not sound like the 350, nothing really will, but they do sound good.. I went from three Mustangs to a Cammed C6 Z06, threw on a set of long tubes, got rid of the cats, added a button for the active exhaust bypass (which Corvettes had for a decade and Mustangs are finally getting) and let me tell you, there is nothing left to be desired in the sound department.. As far as acceleration, its just about untouchable.. Anyway, I do love the Mustang, don't get me wrong. I am just getting tired to see any Mustang that's worth a damn get built up into such a frenzy, that most normal people cannot or will not get them.

When you are at the track you see a stock C7 getting larger and larger in your mirrors, you will have a new found respect for it..

There is no doubt in my mind that the C7 Grand Sport will absolutely punch above its weight (price point). This is the car all the purists have been waiting for who completely rejected the C7 Z because of that silly supercharger and all the problems it is causing.. Me being on of them

If you can get the 350R at MSRP or close, that should be a no brainer. But you probably cant and may never be able to, I am in the same boat.. I would take a 350R at sticker or a few grand above any day and not wait for the Grand Sport. But since that isn't reality and for whatever reason Ford decided to use the 350R to let all the magazines write about in order to sell the base 350, and make just enough Rs to keep out of the reach of pretty much anyone other than very wealthy collectors, some of us will turn to the dark side and just have to settle for a car that absolutely kills anything (other than Viper ACR or GTR) that is two to three times the price and still pay sticker or less.

As far as the 350 is concerned, don't worry, this ADM crap wont last forever.. I am in the Auto business, I have been watching their auction activity and there is plenty of it.. The amount of 350s auctioned off at dealer auctions is going up, already 6 have been sold since 3/23/2016 and that is at one major auction.. and that does't show how many actually went up for sale and didn't sell because they didn't meet the reserve.. And there are several huge auctions in the country.. So for all those who want to keep paying huge ADM for the 350, have fun with that.. THE_EVIL_TW1N , you seem to be on the right track

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread