GT350 and Boost

the5

Established Member
So who here is planning on Boosting their 350 or developing a kit for it?

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
I won't.

Its a light weight rotating assembly that revs to 8250RPM. This engine has some of the smallest piston ringlands i've seen on a street production car. Not the best for heat generation and stress on the rotating assembly from psi. Compression ratio will also have to come down a point or two using 93 octane fuel. 12:1 with boost will most likely predetonation.

On roots/screw blowers, engine RPM will become a factor as well. 8250 engine RPM will put most of the blowers over there ~18,000RPM compressor limits with a fairly large pulley. Will lower the life of the blower and make excessive heat, killing power

I see unhappy people complaining their motor popped when they add boost. It will probably make some sick power though

Last edited:

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
Not really a good idea.

I guess somebody forgot to tell Ferrari that before they started building the 488 GTB

Ferrari-488-GTB-cornering-large.jpg

ferrari-488-gtb-engine-image-750x500.jpg

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
If Ford wanted twin hairdriers on the 5.2 that's the way it would be. It isn't.

03VertGT

GT350 Incoming
Established Member
I'm not affiliated with Lethal, they're just a local tuner. And to clarify, I'll never do it, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in the outcome.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I guess somebody forgot to tell Ferrari that before they started building the 488 GTB

Ferrari-488-GTB-cornering-large.jpg

ferrari-488-gtb-engine-image-750x500.jpg

the problem isn't turbocharging a 3.9L fpc built for boost.

Ferrari designed that mill from the ground up for boost. Everything is a harmonic system to handle boost. Read up on all the elements that went into that engines engineering and development. If you then verse yourself on the voodoo's design and engineering, you'll basically come away with an understanding that the 2 engines are basically only similar in very few ways.

-v8's
-flat plane cranks but different firing orders
-manufacturers names both begin with an F.
-weights are similar but that's not so impressive considering one ways less than the other even though it's fully fitted with a turbo system
-both were expensive to develop

Differences:
-displacement of the 5.2 does not favor boost period. It was hard enough to balance it with 520hp na.
-compression is not boost friendly in the voodoo unless it's running e85 or race gas.
-rotating assembly of the voodoo is light and revvable. Some would say so is the Ferrari's which it is. However one is 3.9L and revs to 8000. The other is 5.2L which is much larger and revs to 8200. We all understand physics. Bigger is trickier to fling around.
-bore separation, ring lands, main assembly, wrist sleeves etc of voodoo are designed around na concepts, loads and math's.
-The torque of a tt 5.2 voodoo would be very difficult to properly manage. Ferrari limits torque through 4th gear linearly allowing more torque as you progress the gears. That's in a midship car with state of the art chassis, downforce and traction management making ~525tq iirc.

I'm bored so ya. Basically just because a running back can basically do it all does not mean every running back has potential to do it all.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The 488 only revs to 8000 as of now. :) Semantics.

Good catch

Fixed! I first typed 8,000 but mid way through thought I had to be mistaken and wrote 9. Looking back I think it's the 458 Italia's na 4.5 that does 9,000.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
It does indeed. The 488 is a gorgeous car, I just wish it sounded as insane as the Speciale.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Price as well, one vehicle is about 5 times more expensive than the other, 6 and more fully optioned.

I love an open down pipe or dump turbo exhaust sound, but putting cats and EPA/mandated stuff on me definitely kills the sound...

Some turbo cars going through mufflers sound down right awful to be honest, it's a shame because open exhaust turbo cars sound honestly amazing, but the conception is most turbo cars sound bad

F8L SN8K

Established Member
I won't.

Its a light weight rotating assembly that revs to 8250RPM. This engine has some of the smallest piston ringlands i've seen on a street production car. Not the best for heat generation and stress on the rotating assembly from psi. Compression ratio will also have to come down a point or two using 93 octane fuel. 12:1 with boost will most likely predetonation.

On roots/screw blowers, engine RPM will become a factor as well. 8250 engine RPM will put most of the blowers over there ~18,000RPM compressor limits with a fairly large pulley. Will lower the life of the blower and make excessive heat, killing power

I see unhappy people complaining their motor popped when they add boost. It will probably make some sick power though

Factory Cobra jet spins to 8,300. You should hear a twin screw at 9,600 ;)

Let's also not forget that the Voodoo has hollow valves. Not great for boost.

Factory Cobra Jet uses sodium filled valves.

Now my opinion on supercharging the 5.2. Vibrations will be a major issue. This engine had to overcome a lot of vibration issues and attaching more components that adds in their own harmonics may cause problems. Turbo charging may be more applicable. Again as others have stated rings and compression on pump gas may be issue. The car would certainly make a ton of power though just look at all the other Coyote engines.

There will be certainly some people that will do it no doubt about it. So results should follow within months of some owners getting their hands on one. It will present its own challenges and someone will be willing to be the test subject.

TaraFirma

Established Member
So...maybe replace the valves with Cobra Jet type valves and boost friendly pistons, and we may have a twin turbo Voodoo contender.
It would be awesome to see, but I'm not volunteering mine as the guinea pig.

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
So...maybe replace the valves with Cobra Jet type valves and boost friendly pistons, and we may have a twin turbo Voodoo contender.
It would be awesome to see, but I'm not volunteering mine as the guinea pig.

You'd have to switch out the rods too because they look like they would snap like a twig in a boost application. I would never boost the car but I'm sure people will try.

Users who are viewing this thread