Gt350 5.2 short block finally done

stangn

Established Member
I am not a shop owner or pro engine builder, I did this myself with guidance from friends who have shops and vendors.

Well it's been since the end of February that I burned a piston. I leaned it out and hurt it. Most expensive pass I ever made lol.
So I went and bought a GT350 block, ordered Diamond pistons, Total seal AP rings,new head studs and began the rebuilding process. During this I had a lot of reports of why it wouldn't work, lots of blown up engines, rings not sealing, can't use oil squirters, need low tension oil rings, can't hone the block and micro cracking at the bottom of head bolt holes. Stressed me out!!!!

I reused everything I had only new items are block, pistons, pins, rings, bearings, head studs and oil filter housing.
The boost was turned down as well to be safe.
I did use the oil squirters and put about 20 miles on and changed the oil then a total of 100 easy miles on it before dyno tuning. The car originally made around 700 on race/pump mix and 16 psi. I had the 5.2 tuned with the request of a conservative tune, it made 650 on pump gas with 12-13 psi, looser convertor less gear and my old Whipple.

This car has a stock fuel system with a boost a pump and ID1000's that's it. So I know there is a lot left. I didn't build an all out impress all you people car. Just a car to drive and race sometimes with room to grow.
I have had no issues at all and It's so good to have my car back running again!!!

Thanks to all that helped me along the way, couldn't have done it without you.

Let the bashing begin people, I'm open for the abuse. Lol

ford20

Established Member
Congrats and good luck with the motor! 650 is more than enough and plenty of fun I bet :D

stangn

Established Member
Thanks for the encouragement.
Yes I reused my 5.0 heads. The intake cams are stock but the exhaust are the cheap CJ longer duration stock lift.

bunits19714

Established Member
What compression ratio did the motor come out to? and I am more interested in seeing the torque increase over the 5.0 liter and to see if is justified. your HP numbers seem to be standard for a decent tuned reliable 5.0. Congrads on getting back up and running, now time to update that fuel system and turn it up.

stangn

Established Member
Compression is 10.5:1 with stock combustion chambers. Old combo was 10:1.
Weather it's justified is a personal thing. I could have saved money and bought a new stock block, but why? Everyone knows the weak points and the 5.2 is a better block. The 12 cubes and lighter weight is just a bonus. I get real good pricing from Ford so the block was $800 more for the 5.2.
For the record I did talk to James I believe at Livernois Motorsports about sleaving my block. He was so useless and frankly a total dick to deal with.

Diamond pistons and Total Seal where huge a help in this and answered all my questions and pointed me straight.

The old torque curve looked like a roller coaster and now it's smooth. At peak it's about 10-15 ft lbs better now but in the low points it 20-30 better. Remember I'm down 3 psi of boost now as well.
Torque peak is about 510-515 ft lbs

stangn

Established Member
By the way, it still runs stock manifold with an off-road X pipe stock OAP and GT500 mufflers. So long tubes would be a big help

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Compression is 10.5:1 with stock combustion chambers. Old combo was 10:1.
Weather it's justified is a personal thing. I could have saved money and bought a new stock block, but why? Everyone knows the weak points and the 5.2 is a better block. The 12 cubes and lighter weight is just a bonus. I get real good pricing from Ford so the block was $800 more for the 5.2.
For the record I did talk to James I believe at Livernois Motorsports about sleaving my block. He was so useless and frankly a total dick to deal with.

Diamond pistons and Total Seal where huge a help in this and answered all my questions and pointed me straight.

The old torque curve looked like a roller coaster and now it's smooth. At peak it's about 10-15 ft lbs better now but in the low points it 20-30 better. Remember I'm down 3 psi of boost now as well.
Torque peak is about 510-515 ft lbs

We apologize for the lack of professionalism our salesman used when speaking with you. He has since been removed from any position here.

stangn

Established Member
That is great to here. I was a return customer for a reason. Glad it's taken care of. Will contact Livernois in the future

Users who are viewing this thread