grooves in idler, normal?

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
On my stock setup, I noticed recently that there are light grooves on the idlers. I can feel my fingernails catch a bit in the grooves, but they are pretty light marks. It's just really obvious since the idlers are black and the grooves are silver. Just wondering if this is normal or is there something wrong that could be doing this. I didn't notice this before, so that's why it's concerned me.

Thanks!

bcwang

SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Ok, so it sounds like nothing to worry about. Can the belt be cleaned to prevent furthur deterioration? I don't actually notice any obvious contaminants causing the scratches. Or does the dirt come up, scratch and then fall off on it's own?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
bcwang said:
Ok, so it sounds like nothing to worry about. Can the belt be cleaned to prevent furthur deterioration? I don't actually notice any obvious contaminants causing the scratches. Or does the dirt come up, scratch and then fall off on it's own?
Yup.....love the idlers but it's pretty tough to prevent dirt from getting up in there and doing some light damage to the anodizing

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had those slight grooves in my Billetflow idlers, too. It happens due to the grit picked up through normal driving. I wonder if the belt shield helps the grit issue at all (with the stock idlers)?

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
When I wash the car once a week I also start it up and hold a wet rag against the belt for a few seonds while it's running. Helps to get the grit and stuff off the belt. Once sand or whatever gets imbedded in the belt, it will continue to grind a groove in the idler or anodizing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's also a good idea to clean the pullies once a week, too. Mine used to load up with little specs of rubber over time. So I just got into the habit of taking 10 minutes to clean them off. The pulley etching never got any worse.

Users who are viewing this thread