Groan from clutch area when cold

efnfast

Established Member
When the car is cold (e.g., sat overnight) if I start it and clutch in/out everything is normal.

If I put it in gear, clutch in and slowly come off, at the point where it disengages and the vehicle starts to move I hear a groaning noise, almost like a rusty door hinge opening. If I fully release the clutch the noise immediately stops. If I clutch back in it immediately stops. If I hold the clutch at the disengagement point it continues to make the groaning noise, but no other issues noted.

If I let the vehicle roll forward a bit, then try again (clutch in/out) the groan is there.

If I drive the vehicle for like 30 seconds and stop and do the above the noise is gone and stays completely away until the car cools off for an extended period of time (e.g., overnight).

It's been doing this for the last 8 months so by now if it were a serious issue I'd think it have gotten worse, but it's no different than 8 months ago.

Car has almost 300k and using original clutch flywheel still. Tranmission fluid replaced 2 years ago, as well as new differential fluid and new pinion bearing.

It almost feels like something is rusty, gets lubricated, then is fine.

Obviously the clutch/flywheel is the most suspicious, but it feels great, no slipping, good shifts, and if it were an issue like the clutch were finished (e.g., rivets digging into flywheel) I have to think the noise would be there all the time, not just after the car sits for an extended period of time.

Any thoughts on what to check that doesn't involve taking apart the vehicle?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Could also be the throw out bearing sleeve is broken. Common problem, I upgraded my old T56 to a billet one.

Roush6018

Established Member
well my 03 cobra makes this noise too! does not make the noise pushing the clutch in/out to start the engine! my car has a bunch of miles too! i had my clutch replaced and my mechanic said my rear diff is shot. then, i daily drove the car for a year with a worn out diff.

then, one morning (and every cold morning once it started) i get a groan when letting out the clutch only when cold first 2-3 takeoff. i think its the diff clutch packs are making that noise. i did not fix the problem, i just washed my car and put it back in storage.

i am saving up to put a Eaton True Trac with new 3.55 gears and new bearings. ($1200 plus tax, just for the parts)

i suggest you change the rear diff fluid and add the friction modifier to the diff oil and see if this helps before you tear the car into pieces. of course this oil change will not fix worn out clutch packs in the diff .

efnfast

Established Member
I've changed the TOB about 6 or 7 times already - when it was gone it would squeel if I just barely pushed the clutch in and it would be constant. This is only for a brief period of time when cold, and requires me to fully clutch in and come off the clutch and start moving (i.e., if I push the clutch 1/2 way down and come up, no noise).

Can't see it being a broken TOB sleeve - everything is fine after like a 30 second drive, broken sleeve would be constant

Rear pinion seal was replaced ~2yrs ago at which time diff fluid was changed (with friction modifier).

If it were a mechanical issue you'd think that after almost a year and ~10,000 miles it would get worse, not stay the same. It almost feels like something is rusted and not lubricated and then with a brief bit of use gets lubricated and is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread