Grinding noise from rear

jblood37

Established Member
Ok guys, I need some help diagnosing a terrible grinding noise coming from the rear of my car. It almost sounds like brakes grinding. It will make the noise anywhere from 30 mph upwards. It will make the noise no matter if the car is in gear or neutral, if the brakes are applied or not, and if I'm going in a straight line or turning. These are some things I've checked or changed.

1) Checked both axle nuts torque. Both are torqued correctly.

2) I checked wheel bearings. No play from 12 to 6. There is a slight amount (very slight amount) of play from 3 to 9 on both wheels. Would this indicate wheel bearings are shot?

3) I checked to make sure dust shield was not making contact with rotor. It is not.

4) I checked to make sure rear brakes weren't scrubbing. Both wheels rotate easily so that's out.

5) I replaced an axle seal bc diff fluid was leaking. Everything went well and leak has stopped.

6) I changed diff fluid. I used Royal Purple Max Gear 75w 140. It is supposed to have friction modifier in it, so I did not add any. See any problems with this?

I'm hoping there is nothing wrong internally in the diff. I'll be putting the car back up on jack stands this evening. I'm going to get my brother to get the car to ~40mph and listen for the noise. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

jblood37

Established Member
Update:

Brakes for sure aren't dragging.

The play in the wheels from 3 to 9 seems to be that the tie rod end is not adjusted out far enough. The driver's side has pretty much no play at all. The passenger side has a small amount of play and the outer tie rod end is about 2-3 turns shorter when compared to driver's. The tie rod end doesn't look worn as there is no play between it and the knuckle.

I got under the car with a stethoscope. The noise seems to be coming from the diff housing. Once again, this noise happens constantly over 30-40mph. Would that rule out a pinion bearing? Could I just be hearing excess gear whine? I have the rear seats out so maybe that's the reason I'm only hearing it now. :shrug:

Last edited:

Kyle_KleinSS

Established Member
That could be. I just did poly diff bushings and I can barely hear noise now. Mine is pretty consistent at all speeds and slows down when I slow down. I assume its normal. If it gets louder Im guessing its a carrier bearing but for now im running it

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
probably the differential esp if you have the solid ftbr diff bushings, they do transmit a lot of noise. stock ford diff? perfect time upgrade the lsd!

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had ran something over that went into my tire itself..

It sounded like a 3 ft long chain dragging behind you that would come and go as you drove slow..

also you did confirm rear brake guide pins do move In And out easy

Users who are viewing this thread