Grill Delete install NIGHTMARE!

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
:fm:Ok, I gota post this to see if anyone else has had a hell of a time installing this on your 99-04 stang. Standard Mach 1 Grill delete, (3pc) like you see on the cobras. Bought from American Muscle.

Just spent the last 2.5 hrs, with two buddies, trying install that goddam thing on my Saleen. Only thing that fit up right was the pony emblem.

The final piece, I am not sure exactly what you'd call it, the outermost piece, dressup piece, 3rd piece. The main piece that covers everything up along the bottom and gives it the final clean look.

Doesnt even come close form wise to fitting snug against the nosepiece. All pooched up and sways back and forth, looks like crap.

(should note we busted the bottom lip things that are supposed to slide onto the bumber cover to keep it held down. We did get it on there with them, but it bottomed out before the bottom bolt holes were covered, so it looked like crap obviously. So they wouldnt have done the trick anyway)

Main issue now is the plastic has a nice sheen to it, so no tape of any kind will stick to it.. Bought heavy duty double sided tape, 200 mph racers tape, nothing will hold it down so it that it sits down and forms to the body piece.

Anyone have any suggestions as to adhesives, tape, something to pull that $100 piece o sheet plastic down tight????

Last edited:

DaBigBone

Established Member
Send it back. Obviously something wrong with the product. I was at a buddies house when he put his on and it was a 10 minute job.

Josh2J

Supercharged Saleen
Established Member
well, I am not being told Saleen front bumpbers are differen than GT. Obviously they look different but I didtn figure they measured any different in the grill area, but apparently they do. Just gona try some liquid nails or plastic adhesive/cement.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Yeah the curve on the front bumper is likely different. We're not even talking about getting it to fit on an aftermarket reproduction of a Ford bumper. We're talking about trying to fit something that was designed for a ford OEM bumper, on a bumper that is completely aftermarket its' self. It would probably fit any 99-04 V6 or GT front bumper or even a repoduction version of those, and I would guess that's all it's made for.

rstang98

Game on
Established Member
Same thing with my bumper but I cut the tops off and the little posts on the bottom off and used double sided tape and left it in the sun to heat it up on the car so it pretty much molded it

Last edited:

cheese5.0

Cheese...?
Established Member
same EXACT thing happend to me, the piece they sent me didnt even look close to how it was supposed to. i called american muscle and they sent me a new piece for free, installed it in 10 minutes and called it a day

JerseyTrueBlue

Established Member
Before you go and stick a bunch of crap to it I would try sending it back man that's bs that it doesn't fit. The Saleen bumper might be a tad different but I know 2 people with them that had no problem with the install? Hell if I were as frustrated as you seem to be I would just drill two small holes near the back and screw it down then get plugs to cover the holes and sand them flush and paint them.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
Reading all this makes me wonder if there is a version of a grille delete kit that is actually made for a different front bumper cover such as the 94-98 cars, 03 cobra or even 99 cobra bumper, floating around?
Years ago I remember putting a steeda (?) one on my friends new edge with no problems at all.

spike_africa

Established Member
Your bumper is different, I am pretty damn sure. You should of only needed the back piece and the floating emblem if I recall how the Saleen bumper is.

rstang98

Game on
Established Member
saleen_front.jpg

Sits nice and flush with the tape and trimming .

Users who are viewing this thread