Granatelli COP actual results

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
69gt4speed said:
That is the theory since hei came out. Back in the old days (points) we would run .028 gap maybe to .032 gap. That was n/a, no nitrous, no blower and 10.5/1 compression. The problem is boost increases dynamic compression as you increase boost/compression it becomes harder for the spark to jump a set gap. Same using nitrous. Spark blowout is a misfire which then surely is much worse for the engine, engine emissions and power, like the old days pull off a wire same effect. So you have to close the gap depending on boost, nitrous, type of plugs till it stops misfiring at wot load. It is a catch 22. All high compression, high boost, nitrous engines have the same issues.

A elect. problem imo is the cop size has to be small to fit under covers. A little magnetic core is not too good. The real racers are using a dedicated ecu with a coil driver and big coils. Remember the s/c was a svt after thought, they never upgraded the ignition system for 8# boost.

This is great info. I'm going to try what others are saying and see if my issue doesn't go away. I'll lower the gap to .035 and see if that takes care of my problem.

My problem that led me to get the COP's was when I go WOT, it seemed to skip and the tone of my exhaust got very deep. Almost as if the traction ctrl came on (which it didn't). I had no issues other than at WOT. Because I had just washed the engine I thought water may have gotten into a plug cavity. Sure enough, #8 was half filled with water. Dried it all out and still had the problem. Friend of mine had the same issue and it was the coil. So, in come the new coils. Car ran fine on the dyno and a run on the road. Sunday night, issue returned. So, now I'm thinking I'll replace the plugs and fuel filter. If those don't do it, maybe a clogged injector. I'll figure this out eventually.

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
Note that energy stored in the coil increases with the square of the current.

I didn't want to get into tech jargon but the question remains with a tiny mag core as these cop coils are once we reach core saturation all we would do is heat up the core more. I know there is a reason inductors, transformers have a rule of thumb on what core size to use for x amount of wattage. More power we need bigger cores/ bigger wire. Otherwise we would have tiny distribution transformers for huge wattage use cause it's cheaper. Iron/copper costs $$$. Same with inductors, little current they are small, larger current they get bigger cause it needs a bigger core/wire. There are different materials for the core that help. Permalloy is about the best, but costs $$. Then silicon steel, ferrites, then old iron. And then the copper wire size may become a issue, it all has to fit under the cover to look stock. Then the ecu might overheat switching the coils.

Why I said real racers use a coil driver and big coils. That takes care of it mostly. Sorry about all the yapping.

Jpjr

Established Member
Is it not a given that unless you are making high horsepower and are having spark issues, then your existing cops are not maxed out of efficiency and you should not see any noticiable gain in power?

Adding cops to a motor that doesn't require them is like adding a return fuel system to a stock motor.. you aren't going to see any benefit until you reach a point where you need it.

Note: If the thread start is pushing 600-800hp and saw no difference then I would take this review very seriously.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
809 said:
Actual results: Idles smooth. Throttle response might be better but not significantly. Took the car for a drive and I can't say that I noticed anything different. Next day, time to dyno and see if you get their 15hp gain for n/a cars and up to 35hp gain for supercharged cars. My previous dyno presented 434. Dyno with Granetelli COP's, 436. 2hp gain. Not enough of a gain for me to say that the gain wasn't due to air conditions or something else.
In order to get a true test you should have done a baseline pull on the dyno with stock COPs and then put the new cops on and do another pull. 2 pulls on 2 different days (and possibly different dynos) isnt a very accurate comparison.

oneoff

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:
In order to get a true test you should have done a baseline pull on the dyno with stock COPs and then put the new cops on and do another pull. 2 pulls on 2 different days (and possibly different dynos) isnt a very accurate comparison.

Agree.

The only way to credit or discredit Granatelli is to do a fair back to back comparison. Same dyno, same conditions same day. Put on the stock coils and start at .035. Keep gapping higher until you get spark blowout, see what was your max power/torque numbers with the stock coils before spark blow out.

Then thow on the G's. Start where the stockers started blowing out. Start to increase gap size on the G's until you see spark blow out.

Then post your results.

Might sound like a pain, but its the only way to juice this mod.

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
oneoff said:
Agree.

The only way to credit or discredit Granatelli is to do a fair back to back comparison. Same dyno, same conditions same day. Put on the stock coils and start at .035. Keep gapping higher until you get spark blowout, see what was your max power/torque numbers with the stock coils before spark blow out.

Then thow on the G's. Start where the stockers started blowing out. Start to increase gap size on the G's until you see spark blow out.

Then post your results.

Might sound like a pain, but its the only way to juice this mod.

People have and people have been very dissappointed.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:

I agree, in the best world situation, you would dyno with the same car, at the same engine temp, with the same dyno, and have the same evenvironment temperatures. I agree that there are some variables that are not consistant, but I believe that would produce MINOR variations.

Not to argue what you are saying, but the results on this dyno compared to the other two dyno's I've done have all been within 4rwhp. With that said, Granatelli is saying that people have seen 15hp improvement for n/a cars and 35hp improvement with supercharged cars. My 2rwhp gain doesn't even come close to their claims. Now, I've stated that I'm not bashing Granatelli, I'm simply stating my results. The dyno's my car have been on have proved to be within 4rwhp and I think a variant of +2rwhp is enough to say that I did not get the stated hp gains that are advertised.

Tell you what tho. I'm going to change my plugs, go back to the previous dyno I did my run on, and see if I get any changes. Whether there is an improvement or not, I will state them here. At the very least, I shouldn't see any loss of power. If there is, I'll attribute that to the plug gapping and not the COP's.

I still believe the review I've given to be fair and very honest. I gain or lose nothing by posting my results.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Jpjr said:
Note: If the thread start is pushing 600-800hp and saw no difference then I would take this review very seriously.

Shouldn't that statement be put on the product? I'm not making 600hp, plan to, but I'm not close to that. But wouldn't my review still be consistant with what you are saying and therefore be a fair contribution to those of us who are not at that 600-800hp range?

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Shadowgray03 said:

AMEN! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread