Graduated from Universal Technical Institute (UTI). Here's my take.

waggs

icy.i see.eye sea.icee.
Established Member
I graduated uti in 08. If I could go back I wouldn't have gone. I feel like I've learned way more the first 6mo. at my first shop than 2yrs of school. I've also seen kids with no experience work at my shop that are decent techs now.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Honestly, no, I do not feel as though I am in a position that I would not have been feasible without UTI. Dealerships have entry level positions (porter, lube-rack, detailer, etc) and, by definition, an entry level position is for someone that has little to no experience and/or training. However, I do feel that the learning curve will be a fraction as steep and that I will be able to move up significantly faster (line tech to team lead to foreman, etc) than if I hadn't attended. And for me, that is where the true value is. I understand that for someone going to school out of pocket, UTI is extremely expensive for what can be argued as minimal reward. But for someone like me, that had the GI Bill available, has a desire to be a technician, and most likely wouldn't use the GI Bill for anything else, it made sense.

I only mentioned it as I have soldiers that decide they no longer want to serve and some, especially the 91Bs, want to pursue auto tech on the civilian side.

My input has always been this: If they're truly interested in it, go ask a local shop if they're hiring. Ask to speak to the owner or the HR rep if a larger company. Ask them specifically what they look for when they hire. If they have an entry level job available, take it and work part time. Go to a university and use your GI Bill there so you have a backup plan should automotive tech not workout. This gives them hands on experience and will make them more marketable in the end. However, most don't want to put in the effort.

I only tell them that because of horror stories I've heard. My biggest beef with UTI, Wyotech, etc...is that they do not offer job placement for every student. If they could add that, it'd increase their value.

steeltoe

Established Member
I only tell them that because of horror stories I've heard. My biggest beef with UTI, Wyotech, etc...is that they do not offer job placement for every student. If they could add that, it'd increase their value.

Thats 100% false they help everyone find a job but you still have to get the job. I wouldn't have gotten my job at Roush with I didn't go to UTI. When I got back from Antarctica I called up UTI and told them the area I was looking to work in and they sent me a bunch of jobs in the area.

My94GT

Established Member
I stopped reading when you got to the tools part as your second question.

95% of the guys buying any name-brand tools will be selling them on craigslist 2-3yrs later after finding out they hate the work for a deeply discounted price anyways. Most mechanics I know that are career still dont have name brand tools and still rock the cheapest available, save for more specialty/important tools (torque wrenches, micrometers, etc).

must be where you work then. most the long term guys i know have no problem investing in their tools. hell i run the office now and i still buy top quality stuff. maybe i just buy it because i can, but i sure dont have many problems out of my snap on stuff nor do the guys at the shop im at.

AAG

Established Member

95% of the guys buying any name-brand tools will be selling them on craigslist 2-3yrs later after finding out they hate the work for a deeply discounted price anyways. Most mechanics I know that are career still dont have name brand tools and still rock the cheapest available, save for more specialty/important tools (torque wrenches, micrometers, etc).

You get what you pay for and tools are not an exception.

Rct851

Established Member
I got a job at a ford dealership on the lube rack with zero experience and zero schooling. The other guys I worked with had certificates and went to uti and blah blah blah.

Well they were more or less dorks whether they knew it or not and couldn't just bullshit with the older techs in the shop or the service manager.
So in all of 3 months I could do all the work that the guys could with the their training(it's not rocket science). Guess who got offers to apprentice and move into other positions?

Cliffs: be half literate and not a total dork and you can have a career anywhere

Rct851

Established Member
Hell yeah I did. Then I really smartened up. One day we had a full dealership meeting. One of those deals where the owner stands up in his $3,000 suit and talks about great were doing and winning these awards that bring in all this money. Then I looked over at the techs that have 30+ years experience, covered in sweat and oil, getting there measly $25 a flag hour.

Decided I wasn't going to be some rich old mans grease ****** and quit lol

Last edited:

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member

They are actually surprisingly proactive about job placement. The biggest part is on the student to make themselves hireable. You wouldn't believe the number of student that enroll with DUI, driving on suspended licenses, multiple moving violations, and other issues that make you unhireable let alone insurable.

Thats 100% false they help everyone find a job but you still have to get the job. I wouldn't have gotten my job at Roush with I didn't go to UTI. When I got back from Antarctica I called up UTI and told them the area I was looking to work in and they sent me a bunch of jobs in the area.

Bingo.

steeltoe

Established Member
They are actually surprisingly proactive about job placement. The biggest part is on the student to make themselves hireable. You wouldn't believe the number of student that enroll with DUI, driving on suspended licenses, multiple moving violations, and other issues that make you unhireable let alone insurable.

By law none of the automotive schools can deny anyone but if they could all of them would have 100% job placement averages because they would get rid of the people who are uninsurable and with no mechanical ability.

UTI job placement average is 90+%

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
Personally I think the school is a joke. Had 2 friends that went UTI in Houston. They called it UnTrainedIdiots. Both graduated and both are now in a different field.

ibleedblue65

Established Member

Not entirely true. A lot of the higher quality tools are worth the price tag, not just specialty/diag stuff. There's a major difference between a snap on or harbor freight wratchet, screw driver, wrench etc. the more experienced guys know what they can skimp on and what they shouldn't.

Users who are viewing this thread