Graduated from Universal Technical Institute (UTI). Here's my take.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
After 16 months of school (core program plus Ford FACT) I graduated from UTI's Orlando campus recently. As I was getting out of the military, I did a lot of research and couldn't find what I found to be a satisfactory source of information on the school and it's programs. I either felt like things were being sugar coated by a recruiter or the opposite by disgruntled former students. Therefore, seeming as how this is a car related site, I figured I'd give my take on it by typing some question that I had before I started and then answering them. I hope it helps. (As I stated before, I attended the Orlando campus, therefore there may be a few minor discrepancies with other campuses.)

Q: Is UTI right for me?
A: Depends on what your goals are and your mechanical experience. As with any school, certain people will benefit from this school and others won't.

-I want to be a professional tech and have little to no experience working on cars. (This is the category I fell into) YES, UTI is the place for you. The core program literally starts at square one. I had always done my own oil changes, brake jobs and the occasional alternator, so I knew the basic tools and functions of the car. But anything beyond that in a conversation, I had to recall as much magazine knowledge as I could muster and bluff my way through it. The first day of school is is the first time I had ever disassembled an engine. They start by explaining every part of the engine, it's function and how it helps to create power and/or convert it into rotational energy.

- I want to be a professional tech, I have a decent amount of professional experience (more than lube-rack at a dealer) and I have no intention to do any additional programs. NO, UTI is not the place for you. I had a couple of friends in this situation just biding their time, using the GI bill, and planning on getting back into the dealership as soon as possible. They were miserably bored every day. There were the occasional days where they'd pick up a piece of knowledge or figure out how something works. But overall, the paycheck (from the VA) didn't seem to be worth the mind-numbing boredom.

-I want to be a professional tech, I have a decent amount of professional experience (more than lube-rack at a dealer) and I do intend on going through additional programs. YES, if you can tolerate the boredom in the core program and intend to get very high grades, the manufacture specific programs are WELL worth the payoff. I'll explain those programs in detail later.

Q: How does the Snap-On tool credit work?
A: UTI has a deal with Snap-On where students get a massive discount (upwards of 60% off) on all tools/boxes/equipment. They have a tool rep on site that is more than happy to ring you up, submit your order and mail you your tools. In all of UTI's commercials they tell you about the $1,000 worth of tools that you get upon graduation. These come in different started kits that could fit in a hand carried tool box. You do have the option of, instead of getting the starter kit, putting the credit toward other tools or another kit. Keep in mind though that it's $1k worth of tools, and since you get a discount, the credit, if used this way, is only about $600. I opted out of the started kit and put the $600 toward the Ford kit.

Q: How are the classes scheduled?
A: The classes are set up in 3-week blocks. You focus on one aspect of operation, diagnosis and repair (brakes, A/C, auto-trans, etc), take several tests, then a final, and them move on to another aspect for another 3 weeks. It actually works out very well since you are not having to split your focus on multiple topics. You can focus on one, get familiar and move on to the next. The classes are 6 hours and 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week for 51 weeks with the only breaks coming in the form of federal holidays and a week of for Christmas/Winter break. As of right now, the Orlando campus has 2 shifts (AM/PM). The AM shift starts at 6:30am, a 15-minute break at 8:20am, a 30-minute break at 10:25am, and class ends at 12:45pm. The PM shift starts at 2:00pm, a 15-minute break at 3:50pm, a 30-minute break at 5:55pm, and class lets out at 8:15pm.

Q: How do the Manufacture Specific Advanced Training (MSAT) programs work?
A: Near the end of the 51-week core program, you can start to apply for the MSAT programs. They are specific to that manufacture and they build on your new found knowledge and expand in it by showing how they want you to approach a diagnosis/repair and what tools are available to you. There are two different types of programs: Student pay and manufacture pay.

-The student paid programs are additional electives that are added on to the 51-week core program. These are available for Ford, Nissan, BMW and Mercedes-Benz just to name a few. You'll leave with a much better understanding of that brands engines, history, their computer/scan-tool systems. Most importantly however, you'll leave with legitimate credentials. For instance, after 15 weeks in the Ford program, I left with 11. Since these are student paid programs, there is no guarantee of employment upon completion but Student Services is surprisingly very proactive about getting you a resume and helping you find a job.

-This bring us to the manufacture paid programs. These are also added onto the core program and are offered from Porsche, BMW, Mini, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo just to name a few off the top of my head. These programs are usually roughly double the length of their student paid counterparts (if offered) and they result in more experience, more credentials, and a guaranteed job. There is a catch however. When you agree to allow the manufacture to foot the bill, you are contractually obligated to move where they need you to for an agreed upon time (I've heard anywhere between 1-4 years). My friends that have gone through these programs have said that they are pretty good on trying to accommodate you by allowing you to pick the region or state, but at the end of the day, you are at their mercy. On the other hand, it is guaranteed work for that period of time which, in this economy, can be a godsend.

Q: How does the GI Bill work?
A: Surprisingly enough, the GI Bill is extremely easy to utilize at UTI. Each campus has a small team of VA reps that are more than happy to help you apply and walk you through the process of getting enrolled and getting your BAH started up. Simply contact the school, let them know you're a potential applicant and that you're planning on using your GI Bill and they'll get you to one of the reps. Speaking of BAH...

Q: How does the BAH work?
A: As every military member knows, with the Post 9/11 GI Bill, the student is entitled to E5 BAH while attending school. There are however a few things that don't seem to get mentioned. (Keep in mind that this is for a tech school with a 3-week block schedule. Therefore, a 4-year university operates very differently.) While it is true that you are entitled to E5 BAH according to the zip code that your school is listed, it is pro-rated for the days that you are "enrolled in a class." For instance (I'll do my best to make this easy to follow, but I can't promise anything): For round number sake, we'll say that BAH is $1,000 per month and the month in question is a 30 days. If your class starts on the first of the month and lasts for 3 weeks (ending on Friday the 21st), you have that Saturday and Sunday off, then the next class starts that following Monday and through the rest of the month. You will get paid for all days except the Saturday and Sunday that you are not actively enrolled in a class. So if you divide $1,000 into 30, that's $33.33 per day. That times the number of days enrolled in the month (28) means that your paycheck on the 1st will actually be for $933.33. While that may not sound like much of a difference, that is a best case scenario. if you figure multiple non-paid weekends, and throw in the occasional 3-day non paid holiday weekend (if it happens to fall at the end/beginning of a class, which they often do) you could be looking at upwards of 6 days of no pay resulting in paychecks of $800. In no way am I trying to say this is a shady or underhanded way of doing things. It is just very important information to know for budgeting reasons.

These are most of the big questions that I had going into the program so I hope that this info is able to help anyone looking into attending UTI. Overall, I had a very positive experience and would do it all over again. As a student starting at Square 1 with very little insight of the how a car actually operates, I am infinitely more knowledgeable that I was before and could actually hold my own in a conversation based off of facts and experience (albeit limited).

Hope this helps.

Zemedici

Established Member
Very good write up. However, from my experience (working in dealerships as parts/service position) that its equally beneficial to just apprentice/work your way up in a shop. My brother apprenticed at a shop over summer, then landed a job as a express lane technician at Nissan, and they provide the schooling to take your certs to become a full technician. My old boss (service manager) who hired all the technicians, said he got 40 applications from UTI/Wyotech grads a month, and 'which one would he rather hire - the guy who paid to get a piece of paper saying he's certified, or the guy who had been working on Fords day in and day out for 10 years to get the same paper' Not that its a stab at you, just that nowadays experience seems to be valued just as much if not more so than graduation in said program.

I was debating going myself last year, after I priced it out with OOS (out of state) tuition/housing, it was going to cost me $40,000, and that's WITHOUT the specialization (Ford,Nissan,etc) which costs more.

After you graduate, you still have to buy tools, which the technicians I worked with had $30,000 worth of tools. Granted if you're a automotive student you get 50% off at snap on, but its still a huge check to cut.

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
So you know you also didn't lose gi bill during the breaks between classes.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Very good write up. However, from my experience (working in dealerships as parts/service position) that its equally beneficial to just apprentice/work your way up in a shop. My brother apprenticed at a shop over summer, then landed a job as a express lane technician at Nissan, and they provide the schooling to take your certs to become a full technician. My old boss (service manager) who hired all the technicians, said he got 40 applications from UTI/Wyotech grads a month, and 'which one would he rather hire - the guy who paid to get a piece of paper saying he's certified, or the guy who had been working on Fords day in and day out for 10 years to get the same paper' Not that its a stab at you, just that nowadays experience seems to be valued just as much if not more so than graduation in said program.

I was debating going myself last year, after I priced it out with OOS (out of state) tuition/housing, it was going to cost me $40,000, and that's WITHOUT the specialization (Ford,Nissan,etc) which costs more.

After you graduate, you still have to buy tools, which the technicians I worked with had $30,000 worth of tools. Granted if you're a automotive student you get 50% off at snap on, but its still a huge check to cut.

Obviously when you're fresh out of school, humility is the name of the game. If you come in to an interview, say "I've got these credentials, but little to no experience. I'm willing to start at the bottom and am excited about getting some experience." they are much more likely to take you serious. On the other hand, if you walk in with a chip on you shoulder and lead off with "Listen, even though I've got significantly less experience, I've got more credentials than that guy over in that bay. Therefore I expect to get paid the same or greater." of course they aren't going to spend too much time considering your application.

The fact is, experience can't be bought. Knowledge however, can. And for guys that have the funds (GI Bill, savings, willingness to apply for loans), a year and a half at school is a cost that they are willing to spend for a leg up on the competition.

You're right, 9 times out of 10, the guy with 10 years experience is going to get the job over the new guy with credentials. But that is not really the demographic that you're being compared to as a newcomer. It's the guy with roughly the same experience and no credentials or training. If the dealership can see a greater value in not having to teach you from square 1 and/or pay to send you to school, there is a very good chance that you are the one they are going to consider first.

So you know you also didn't lose gi bill during the breaks between classes.

Care to elaborate? Nobody said anything about losing you GI Bill during breaks. It's the BAH that is pro-rated.

STXDriver98544

Bass Assassin
Established Member
Excellent write-up. I graduated in 06', completed the EXACT same thing you did and entered with the same novice level knowledge you did. I went to the Houston campus, graduated with almost perfect attendance, so no, I didn't "screw around" like a lot of the students do, partying and never showing to class. I don't know how the Orlando campus was, but a lot of the students who stayed in the surrounding provided apartments that were from out of town really didn't seem to try hard at all. I was fresh out of highschool at that time so I was still with my parents so I had good food and good sleep everynight. I stayed with Ford for 5 years, until I had a accident in which I burned myself pretty badly so I decided to hang it up because I couldn't get oil on my skin for over a year because of healing. They always say don't make your hobby your job, and I did just that. Entering the real world after UTI was a hard place to be, in those 5 years I never moved up from basic "lube tech" stuff. It's very difficult, you either have to enter as an apprentice under another tech who is willing to take you under their wing, which is virtually impossible because who wants to sacrifice commission hours to train someone? Or you have to come into the business with a lot of hands on knowledge and experience for the company you work for. I made decent money doing the "gravy grabber" work but I was always jealous of the diesel, front end, and line techs that just rolled in the money (aside from warranty work haha) Doing a customer-pay 6.0/6.4 head gasket/egr job will definitely put a smile on your face!

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Care to elaborate? Nobody said anything about losing you GI Bill during breaks. It's the BAH that is pro-rated.
You get 36 months of GI Bill. The eligibility you use is prorated just like the housing. In your case where you were in school for 28 days of the month you'd only use 28 days instead of a full month. Basically you're only using eligibility when you're getting housing (assuming over 1/2 time).

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I think you left out an important detail in your write-up:

Are you currently employed in a position that would not have been feasible had you not attended UTI and if yes, what can someone who sinks thousands of dollars into their education expect to see as a wage once they begin their career?

ibleedblue65

Established Member

Are you currently employed in a position that would not have been feasible had you not attended UTI and if yes, what can someone who sinks thousands of dollars into their education expect to see as a wage once they begin their career?

I graduated from UTI in Orlando in ' 07. A lot of people dog on the school and rightfully so. For the cost ($25-30k) you really don't gain anywhere near enough hands on training. The program is too short and the school is run strictly as a business.

That said, I gained a lot of foundational automotive knowledge there that continues to benefit me today. It gives me a leg up on a lot of guys who have been in the field much longer.

To answer Matt's questions, I do not believe I would have my current job if not for uti. You can expect to see <$15 hourly with no experience and just schooling.

I lucked out coming out of school and scored a job with a small local performance shop. The owner(an excellent tech) took me under his wing and I apprenticed under him for years before becoming the lead tech at that shop. I have since moved up to what is/was my dream job. I make good money and enjoy my work(I work on late model sports cars every day in a very nice shop) but turning wrenches isn't for everyone. It can be a very challenging field. You have to think on the fly(become an expert instantly), work your ass off and constantly push to improve yourself to be successful.

Last edited:

slidai

Established Member
We have a guy starting as a lube tech tomorrow who just graduated from uti. So I'll see how much he knows. As for money, it all depends on the shop. But you can expect between $11 - $14 a labor hour as a new employee with no other experience.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
At our shop, we have UTI, Michigan Tech, Ferris State, and Hard Knocks U techs. Skills depend less on the school and more on the man. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to touch tools, let alone use them. That said, I think the kids that go to school for mechanics show a level of commitment above the kid that works in the lube rack for 10 years and just moves up. Since our vehicles are unique, we are looking more for commitment and attitude than for skills, those we will teach over time. A degree shows that the kids have at least a little commitment to mechanics.

slidai

Established Member
At our shop, we have UTI, Michigan Tech, Ferris State, and Hard Knocks U techs. Skills depend less on the school and more on the man. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to touch tools, let alone use them. That said, I think the kids that go to school for mechanics show a level of commitment above the kid that works in the lube rack for 10 years and just moves up. Since our vehicles are unique, we are looking more for commitment and attitude than for skills, those we will teach over time. A degree shows that the kids have at least a little commitment to mechanics.

I have only worked in one shop, but from my experience, the guys who started as porters, and moved up, have been better, shown more skill and promise than those that have come from school. Honestly though, I think it's 100% random.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Very good write-up and info. Interesting read. And it should hopefully help others going forward who are thinking about entering UTI.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
You get 36 months of GI Bill. The eligibility you use is prorated just like the housing. In your case where you were in school for 28 days of the month you'd only use 28 days instead of a full month. Basically you're only using eligibility when you're getting housing (assuming over 1/2 time).

In my OP, I said that the BAH is pro-rated. You just said housing is pro-rated. Are you agreeing with me? If so, this has been a very odd exchange.

Honestly, no, I do not feel as though I am in a position that I would not have been feasible without UTI. Dealerships have entry level positions (porter, lube-rack, detailer, etc) and, by definition, an entry level position is for someone that has little to no experience and/or training. However, I do feel that the learning curve will be a fraction as steep and that I will be able to move up significantly faster (line tech to team lead to foreman, etc) than if I hadn't attended. And for me, that is where the true value is. I understand that for someone going to school out of pocket, UTI is extremely expensive for what can be argued as minimal reward. But for someone like me, that had the GI Bill available, has a desire to be a technician, and most likely wouldn't use the GI Bill for anything else, it made sense.

I have only worked in one shop, but from my experience, the guys who started as porters, and moved up, have been better, shown more skill and promise than those that have come from school. Honestly though, I think it's 100% random.

I completely agree. A terrible employee is going to be a terrible employee regardless of schooling. In my time at UTI, there were many students that didn't take the program seriously, didn't show up on time, and did half-ass work. And that is almost certainly how they are going to act when they get to their shop. But like derklug said, in some cases, a degree (certificate in this case) shows a level of commitment that may appeal to an employer.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I stopped reading when you got to the tools part as your second question.

95% of the guys buying any name-brand tools will be selling them on craigslist 2-3yrs later after finding out they hate the work for a deeply discounted price anyways. Most mechanics I know that are career still dont have name brand tools and still rock the cheapest available, save for more specialty/important tools (torque wrenches, micrometers, etc).

bobby_0081

Established Member
We have a guy starting as a lube tech tomorrow who just graduated from uti. So I'll see how much he knows. As for money, it all depends on the shop. But you can expect between $11 - $14 a labor hour as a new employee with no other experience.

I am a veteran and was a mechanic for the Active Duty Air Force between 2000 and 2004. My experience got me nothing because I didn't have the ASE certs. I got a job at the parts counter at a Ford dealer and that lasted 90 days and then in 2005 I went to work as a lube tech for a Buick, GMC dealership and was being paid $12.00 an hour. I started getting my GM certifications and all I did was tires, LOF's and warranty stuff like tailgate cables, and putting the stop leak tabs in the Buick's with the 3.8 V6's. The service writers had their favorites and they always got all of the good paying work while guys like me and even more experienced guys sat doing the idiot work. I was very unhappy and within a year I took a job working on Automated carwash equipment. That was a great job but I never made more than 12.75 and hour even after being with that company for 2 years, I then moved on to working in a chemical plant as a plant operator and in 2008 I got a full time position with the Air National Guard as a vehicle mechanic and a WG-10. I left the chemical plant job after 3 years and was only making 15.75 an hour and took the National Guard full time job as a WG-10. I have worked on many things going back to my start as a cleanup boy in an auto/body shop and I can still remember the first customer car I ever worked on. I changed a master cylinder when I was only 16 in between sweeping up piles of bondo dust and old sand paper. I also had a job when I was 18 running custom exhaust and the day I got it was the same day I learned how to bend pipe and Mig weld. I had never done either before. Of all the jobs I had I liked the carwash job the best. I had a company van, a ton of parts, got to go out of town frequently, and liked working on the large very complex PLC driven devices. I learned a lot of plumbing, and hydraulics. If I would have gotten a raise I would have never left that job but I am also glad I did because one of the guys I worked with many years ago still works there and barely makes 15 and hour but it works for him because he's a retired Marine and disabled vet.

Users who are viewing this thread