Gotta Hand it To Maximum Motorsports!

vertigyn

Established Member
Wasn't sure where to post this...so mods please move if there is a better place!

This past week my rear coil over set up had a circlip fail causing the shock shaft to fully extend into my trunk making making the shock pretty useless.

2011-02-11132450.jpg

2011-02-11133556.jpg

Initially I called MM to talk to them about getting it fixed. On the phone we decided that it seemed that I could remedy the problem with a new circlip and aluminum bushing that sits on top of it. They were awesome and really nice - they sent out the new pieces free of charge via expedited shipping. Nice!

Well, after I spoke with them I actually went down to the garage and disassembled the coil overs, took some pictures and then wrote an e-mail to MM today with all the pictures. They called me back today, same day service - nice!!! and talked to me about my options. Based on the pictures they decided that the shock was shot and needed to be replaced. You can see the "ledge" the circlip sits on is pretty well machined off...

2011-02-13111526.jpg

They gave me a discounted price on a replaced shock and included some spiral locks at no charge and shipped the pieces expedited to get home the same day I return - nice!

They also took the time to look at all the pictures and noticed one of the pictures had my spring rate shown and they thought it may be questionable. So we talked about it and determined it was fine but not to go any higher. They also noticed in the pictures that the threaded coil over pieces were showing wear. They suggested that when I return home to roll the springs on a flat surface. If they are warped, they think they can get them replaced under warranty - nice!

All in all, I have to say, MM has really impressed me with their customer service and knowledge. That alone is making me proud to be Maximum Motorsports customer with their parts - a company that stands behind their products is hard to find nowadays. Thanks MM!!

All the pictures of the parts involved:
20110213 MM Sport Series CO C-clip failure pictures by vertigyn - Photobucket

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never bought from them but it's great to hear about great customer service. Sounds like MM stands at the top of the heap on service.

Coiled03

Established Member
Spent lots of coin with them, and never had any issues with their service. Will buy from them again.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I had a question about their oil filter relocation kit, called and spoke to someone right away, answered all my questions. Actually made the purchase over the phone and the rep said he would have it shipped out same day. The parts and install instructions were top notch, will definitely buy from again.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
What's this, someone actually praising a company?????!?!?!?!
Glad they helped you out OP. Good to see companies stand behind their product.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Great guys there. I had a bunch of their parts on my mustangs and got a lot of help from them over emails. Good to hear they still keep up with the service.

Crazy that the shock failed like that. Do they think it was because of the high spring rates? Looks like the lower washer on the top mount may have been just a tad too big. Were those stock shocks or aftermarket?

vertigyn

Established Member
Crazy that the shock failed like that. Do they think it was because of the high spring rates? Looks like the lower washer on the top mount may have been just a tad too big. Were those stock shocks or aftermarket?

The spring rate is 50ibs above their recommended rate for the shock but they said it should be fine. Afterall, back when the kit was originally sold it was what they recommended to the original buyer (who never installed them).

The shocks are the MM Sport Valved Bilstein's.

From what I can tell, the circlip got loose and kept moving up and down on the shock shaft. This eventually caused it to machine the ledge that it was intended to rest on.

My only guess is that maybe the nut on the top wasn't tightened as much as it should have been - but that is just a guess. MM seemed to be familiar with this...so perhaps it might not be common but my guess is that it's not all that rare.

So, when the new pieces come, I will tighten that top nut as much as I can and hope for the best =) The current set up lasted for about 2 years of hard driving - so I'm not at all upset - just caught me by surprise.

This is what the good side looks like with the circlip still functioning:
2011-02-13113605.jpg

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
MM is amazing to deal with from my experiences. Everything from custom ordering to support/service and even shipping. All my orders come EXTREMELY quick from them. Sometimes I ask the wrong thing, or assume the wrong thing, and they're very helpful to correct and explain. Personally, I think Contact Us page says it all, they're great people, with a sense of humor and dedicated to what they do; plus it's a good laugh :)

Definitely should have nothing to do with spring rates, as he's only using the sport and the MM2 and MM3 use higher rates and the same system. I just rebuilt mine using new MM2 stuff so I'll keep an eye on this myself.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The spring rate is 50ibs above their recommended rate for the shock but they said it should be fine. Afterall, back when the kit was originally sold it was what they recommended to the original buyer (who never installed them).

The shocks are the MM Sport Valved Bilstein's.

From what I can tell, the circlip got loose and kept moving up and down on the shock shaft. This eventually caused it to machine the ledge that it was intended to rest on.

My only guess is that maybe the nut on the top wasn't tightened as much as it should have been - but that is just a guess. MM seemed to be familiar with this...so perhaps it might not be common but my guess is that it's not all that rare.

So, when the new pieces come, I will tighten that top nut as much as I can and hope for the best =) The current set up lasted for about 2 years of hard driving - so I'm not at all upset - just caught me by surprise.

This is what the good side looks like with the circlip still functioning:
2011-02-13113605.jpg

You tightened the shock nut incorrectly. Follow the MM instructions for that to the T and you'll be fine.

MM parts and service always top notch. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread