Got ticket for going 5 over limit

Lomancobra

Established Member
I'm driving home from trying to find someone to mount my tires on my humungous new rims. I'm driving through the outskirts of DC where I go to school. I approach a stoplight and see 2 cops in front of me going the same direction, one in the left one in the right. Like any logical individual with exhaust I upshift and drive like an old lady. Traffic is moving slow, for apparent reasons, and I am in the right lane slowly accelerating. The speed limit is 30 and thats about what im doing. As I pass the cop in the left lane he moves into my lane and the cop in front of me is pulling away. Not drastically accelerating, but obviously going faster than me. I look down and I'm doing 35, look behind me and the cop is up my ass. Ok, no big deal, he wants to keep up with his buddy, they are going somewhere. I'll just wait till I see an opening in another lane to let him pass. Boom, lights go on, WTF! I pull over, give him my info, I ask him whats wrong. He asks me if I know the speed limit. I honestly wasnt sure so I say, "umm, im not positive, 35 or 40 I think." Officer: It's 30, do you know how fast you were going? Me: 35. Officer: you were going 40. As hes in his car the cop that was in front of me circles around to come "assist" the pullover. Not like he could be protecting the nation's capital from more important things at a time like this or anything. So the cop comes back with a ticket, and I was Pissed. I am usually very cordial with cops because it's the best strategy. But this was the first time that I really got **** slapped when I wasn't doing anything wrong. I look at the ticket and it says 45 in a 30 ($75). I say "officer, you said I was going 40, why does it say 45?" He gets real short with me and says this, "I was behind you doing 40, you were in front of me, that means that you had to be doing at least 45." I swear that is EXACTLY what he said. I think to myself, this must be a joke. In my sudden burst of adrenalin I blurt out "This is ****ing ridiculous." Then he tells me he can lock me up for using profanities. Luckily he left before I could show him what the 1st amendment really tolerates. I drive off, and now they are both following me again. So, I proceed to drive 15mph in the right lane. So the ********** pulls me over again. Now im eager to see what he has to say. Me: now what did i do officer? Officer: You know you can be ticketed for driving under the minimum speed limit? Me: No, im sorry, I didnt think i was speeding before so I just wanted to make sure that there was no question this time. Officer: oh, now your getting smart, you know I could write you up for your tint, I could write you up for your mufflers, etc. Me: yes officer, I understand you can write me up for pretty much anything you want. Then he started to get upset with me because I wasnt impressed or belittled when he tried to show me how big his dick was. After that he ran away in a fit and I just turned off the road.
I'm sorry about the rant, but I just needed to vent. It just really pisses me off that when we need protection from police the most they are pulling me over and making bullshit claims. If I really was speeding, fine. If he gave me a ticket for 5+ over, fine. But first he says I was giong 40 when I wasnt, then he comes back with a ticket for 45? We both knew I wasnt speeding. Shit, I would have to be as stupid as him if i was going to speed in between 2 cops. Then to top it off, he pulls me over when his buddy is cruising up the road in front of me. I know with the cops it's "do as I say not as I do." But right in front of me? When he first pulled me over, I was really confident that there was no way he was gonna give me a ticket. I thouhgt it was just a ploy to pull me over and make sure i had inspection and stuff. But this is some shit. I am not gonna hire a lawyer because his fees would be more than the ticket would be, but I am gonna fight this hard. Let's see what my Law major is good for anyway.
I know there are a couple officers who post here, pointcover. . . Do you guys think this is an abuse of power or is this standard operating procedure. Do you think the two cops were working a "trap"?
I really never felt so disapointed in the law before. Although my outlook on cops has never been a positive one, I used to have respect for them all. And I know not all cops are like this guy, but whenever I see a cop I'm gonna think of this incident and how abusive they can be.
End report

Edit: subject title error

Last edited:

lifter213

Established Member
That sucks! I would have been really mad too. :burn:

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
Feel bad writing such a short response to your long post, but i guess it sums up how I'd feel.....

AaaaaAaaAAAaAArrrRRrRrRRrrRRgggGGgGGGGGGggg!!!!!!!!

:bash:

Please let us know how this turns out, hope you don't get stuck with paying that crap.

~Berj

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I'd contest that. A ticket for 50% over the limit will not be cheap on the old insurance, hire a lawyer and go to court.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
We need to move this post to "smackdown" so we can all vent our experiences with some law enforcement officers. Drive long enough and you'll meet some really sad specimens, as well as some really fine people.

In my experience (35 years driving) I too have had my share of pricks, including an Ohio state trooper who ticketed me for driving 56 in a 55! He readily admitted it was due to my Michigan license plates in a year when Ohio lost the football game!

I could tell you about the time in Rochester New York when I pulled into a gas station which was being held up (owner held at gunpoint). I quickly exited and went 1/2 block to two cops running a speed trap. They refused to leave the speed trap to stop the armed robbery!

I could also tell you about some stupid things I've done, and the cops who were understanding and let me off the hook.

Fight this incident, and don't let it sour your outlook on all police. The majority are square guys.

Lee

Established Member
It's worth hiring a lawyer and fighting every ticket, otherwise you'll be paying higher insurance rates for years. I know, I've been there. I used to drive a red 88 GT convertible in NJ, and got pulled over all the time when I was just "going with the flow". One cop told me it was far more fun to pull over a red mustang than a Cadillac! It's not safety, it's revenue. I will not own a red car anymore.

King03Cobra

Established Member
Man thats what I call "Taking it up the 'ol tailpipe without any 5-20W" Definitely talk to a lawyer, thats really messed up getting treated like that. Hope everything works out for you.

4D THNDR

Established Member
Fight that donut munching pig porkin' piece of dung. Sandwiched between two pork hocks but you're going 45 because he's doing 40? Physics would baffle that dumbass beyond comprehension. How could he pace you at 45 when he's going 40?

Gee, I wonder why people call them pigs? :mj:

Useless tax collectors.

My1stFord

Established Member
Was anyone in the car w/ you that heard the conversation by chance? Either way, I'd spend the time to contest that ticket and take it to court. There's a good chance the cop will not even show. The judge may reduce - whatever the outcome you wont know unless you go - and to me it would be worth my time.

good luck.

Video

Established Member
just plead not guilty on the ticket, and go to court. I bet you get it dismissed.... 5 mph over limit?....the judge will probably laugh and give you either a lesser offense like a non-moving violation perhaps, or just dismiss it totally.....good luck..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If all of your details are true, this one is an easy one to fight in court. No radar/sonar. You obviously saw the cops. You said you were going 35 in a 30. The cop said you were doing 40, then changes it to 45. I say contest it in court. Tell the truth that you were doing 35. The court will probably throw this one out. Let us know.

fakesnake.com

Established Member
You might want to consider having your speedometer calibrated just to confirm you were doing 35. Take it to court to show you went the extra mile to verify your speedo was working. Could work in your favor.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
I gotta agree w/ CobraBob, this one should be easy to beat. I must say you handled yourself better than I probably would have. Just go beat it and don't let it get to you, that guy's just an idiot who happens to have a badge. Good luck, Let us know.

Gumball

Established Member
I have to agree with everyone on the fighting issue. I think it should be fairly easy to win.

I would like to make 2 points. First, I would NOT say I was doing 35. I would say "I was going approximately 30. I would certainly not be dumb enough to speed with 2 cops around me." If you tell a judge/prosecutor you were doing 35 you'd still be speeding...and admitting to it. You may still wind up with some kind of lesser ticket...but still a ticket and a violation on your license. Which brings me to point 2. Do not settle for a lesser violation. Generally speaking, if you get a lesser ticket but still pay a fine it's still going to show on a driving record. Here in CT, I've gotten tickets and fought them by telling the prosecutor that I'll make a charitable donation however I will not accept a fine. If I have any kind of leg to stand on, they will usually accept that. Translation...no points on my record, no insurance increase.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
If your account is accurate,
First, definitely go to court and fight this ticket.
Second, DO NOT say you were going 35 or 34 or 31. Say you were going the speed limit, which you said was 30 MPH. For a judge to dismiss the case, you have to deny the allegation. Do not admit to any wrong doing. Deny, Deny, Deny. You would be absolutely amazed at how many people convict themselves:

Officer: "Offender was traveling 55 in a posted 30."
Judge (to offender): " Do you have anything to say?"
Offender: "I wasn't going 55. I know that!"
Judge (to offender): "Well, how fast were you going?"
Offender: "Well, maybe 40, but definitely not 55!!"
Judge: "Finding of guilty."
The point of all of that was to demonstrate how someone convicts themselves. You would not believe how often that occurs.
All the police have to do is show that the speed limit was exceeded, not by how much, but just that it was exceeded. And the offender just did that all on his own.

If the judge believes you, you will probably walk. If not, you are no worse off than if you pled guilty or just paid the fine. The judge could even take into consideration the circumstances and act accordingly. "What, me speed in between two police cars?!?!?"

BTW, don't need radar, sonar, vascar or anything but a certified speedometer (locally called a calibrated clock), which all police packages are equipped with.

This is just my 2 cents worth and not valid anywhere. Take it for what it's worth.
Good luck.

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Gumball,
We need to communicate a little better here. I could have saved myself a lot of typing.
:lol:

Dana

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Originally posted by VintagePorscheG
lol,

another brother in the " I hate cops brotherhood "

if your ever in columbus ohio be very careful if you come upon a town featured in this website...

you will get a ticket if you go there and they may take your car.

http://www.newromesucks.com/

I saw an article on New Rome in one of my car mags that arrived yesterday. I'll let you know which one. Car and Driver or Automobile. Brief scan led me to believe that someone is trying to legislate out their scam.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
WOW....I got the same ticket a while back, 35 in a 30. The cop was pissed dropping the F bomb at me and everything. I went to court and the judge laughed and dismissed it, I didn't even get a chance to say anything. DEFINITELY fight the ticket, it will probably get thrown out.

Users who are viewing this thread