Got this wierd chiping sound ?

King03Cobra

Established Member
Had my LT's put on and they had to drop the K-member, or should I say they chose to drop the K-member. I dropped the car off at the dealership this morning to have the alingment checked and noticed that something up front is making a chirping noise. The break system feels fine but it's definitely something up front and I noticed it after having the headers put on. Anyone got any ideas ?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Check your belt. If it sounds like it's coming from that area take a water mister and mist/spray the belt. If the noise disappears for a few seconds and returns it's your belt. Change the belt and the chirping is gone. If it's not the belt I wouldn't have a clue.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Just a guess but press your clutch lightly, putting light pressure on it. If the squeal goes away its the infamous Throwout Bearing.. Get it fixed soon before it eats away at your TOB retainer. Black03

King03Cobra

Established Member
Just a guess but press your clutch lightly, putting light pressure on it. If the squeal goes away its the infamous Throwout Bearing

No it's not a squeal, it's like it is something with the wheels, the noise "chirp" actually increases in speed as the car goes faster. Do you think it could have anything to do with a bent rotor or caliper ? I'm kind of puzzled because everything feels fine but the noise is definitely there.

Steve Snake Driver

Established Member
Sure sounds like something with the wheels/tires if it increases-decreases with speed.

You might take a quick look at the brake backing plates. These are sheet metal and easily bent.

EDIT: Mean the dust covers behind the disc brakes.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Now it definitely sounds like a wheel or brake issue.

King03Cobra

Established Member
OK, just picked up the car from the dealer and they said there was a retaining clip for the left wheel position sensor that was misadjusted and rubbing against the wheel. It's fixed now and is quiet, so this is good. Must have happened when I got the LT's on because I noticed it shortly after that.

:)

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
Originally posted by black03
Just a guess but press your clutch lightly, putting light pressure on it. If the squeal goes away its the infamous Throwout Bearing.. Get it fixed soon before it eats away at your TOB retainer. Black03

Please explain the Throwout Bearing issue (and what the TOB retainer is).

I've been getting an intermittent squealing noise for about the last week or so. I thought it was a bad idler pully or belt. I hear the sqealing/chirping only at idle and only as the car's warming up. The noise is not there when the car's cold and it's not there when the car's hot. Lately the noise is gone more often than it is there. Pushing the clutch in and/or putting it into first gear sometimes makes the noise start or stop. Any ideas? Thanks.

torchred03

Established Member
You have TOB going bad. Mine was doing the samething. Took it in to the Ford dealer and they said they could not hear it (big surprise). Anyway Just it it back last week after 3 months of squeaking and numerous trips to Ford dealer. Ford had to replace the entire tranny, clutch, TOB, presure plate and flywheel. Juts because the local service manager did not want to fix the squealling TOB. Oh well there dime not mine.

BlueOvalBill

Established Member
Originally posted by badasp03
You have TOB going bad. Mine was doing the samething. Took it in to the Ford dealer and they said they could not hear it (big surprise). Anyway Just it it back last week after 3 months of squeaking and numerous trips to Ford dealer. Ford had to replace the entire tranny, clutch, TOB, presure plate and flywheel. Juts because the local service manager did not want to fix the squealling TOB. Oh well there dime not mine.

What's TOB stand for? Thowout Bearing? What are these things? Where are they located and what do they do? Does anyone have any suggestions regarding how I can get my local Ford dealer to fix it? Brought it in last week and they couldn't hear anything (of course).

Users who are viewing this thread